Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How have you guys discovered DF2010 was out?  (Read 3180 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have you guys discovered DF2010 was out?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 02:56:43 am »

I was telling my friend how Toady had said he intended to release DF sometime this week, and jumpped on the main Dwarf Fortress page.

Of course, it didn't load because I was about an hour late and everyone else had already pounced from all over the internet.

After fifteen minutes of relentlessly reloading, I finally hit the torrent link. Thank goodness that was there. I doubt the poor little server could have handled it otherwise.
!!&!!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:24 am »

Went on /tg/. First thread is "OMG DWARF FORTRESSSSS".

I'm like  :o  and opened the thread, JUST IN CASE. Lo and behold, there were screenshots galore, so I spent the next half an hour trying desperately to download DF 31.01 XD
I was the first one to start a new thread on it that night :D

We were discussing in the ongoing DF thread after midnight when the bay12 site went down for a few minutes. I joked that Toady either brought it down to do an April Fools joke or he was posting the new version.

Site came back up and there it was! Right after that the site went down again from the massive traffic spike.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:37 am »

F5

Control-F5 for me. Because I'm that exxxxxtreme.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 03:26:06 am »

I saw the FotF thread locked. I clicked to the General Discussion subforum, then refreshed the devlog on a different tab. The last post on the devlog was the one from the 28th, but it said at the top that it was legacy, and to click download. I did, and went back to the forum tab to see what was up. I saw threads indicating that release had occurred. Then I clicked to stuff and discovered the server was down. I went to /tg/ to talk about it, and as an afterthought checked the wiki. The wiki had mirrors, so I downloaded and went from there.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 03:43:30 am »

i found it between refresh :D
i almost the entire dorf

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 03:47:54 am »

I randomly check the DF forums most the time I'm awake. So I discovered pretty fast.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 04:04:05 am »

I decided to go to the B12 forums for one reason or another. It was working for a few seconds then things started acting weird. I was like "what's going on?" when the forums stopped responding entirely, then moments later I managed to load the main site and see the download links.

Awesome commenced in the form of dragon on dragon arena fighting.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 04:05:44 am »

I found out via /tg/ as well. Luckily, someone on an IRC server I frequent had uploaded it to a mirror, so I was able to get it without too much fuss.

Then after a bit of playing I spent about half an hour trying to file a bug report on the forum. Bah!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 04:16:15 am »

Due to time zone reason...the time DF released was afternoon here, So I decided to check various sites after all that studying, First site I checked was bay12, then...*jaw drops in awe*
Seems like it's just a few minutes after release when I found it...because the site crashed shortly thereafter when I tried to go anywhere beyond the index page on the forum...good timing I should say:)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 06:43:55 am »

I woke up, and started to prepare for back in the day er day (yes I made a holiday to replace april fools), got out my command and conquer, total recall, hooked up the nes, and went to quickly check the forums...
nothing new...
OMG DWARF FORTRE... oh wait thats the 2006 thread someone bumped...
do dee do... Heh right DF 2010, good one toady. Downloads.
Lets see rickroll? no it looks like DF and has arena, Gens world starts playing.
Runs to forums... Hey Guyz... Guyz? Um forum wake up... website are you alive...
Runs to IRC, HEY GUYZ, THE FORTRESS IS NOT A LIE!
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 06:55:05 am »

I was playing bf:bc2 when suddenly I got an announcement from our steam group that the new version was out. That apparently gave me such a huge adrenaline boost that I got 8 kills in the following 30 seconds, after which we lost anyway due to a retarded team and quickly downloaded it before the site exploded. It was quite interesting to see the download progress, starting with 1 megabyte per second and dropping below 200kbps halfway through, ending with barely over 50 so I got incredibly lucky.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 08:27:22 am »

My life in the past week has consisted of me clicking the refresh button on the developments page.  I had to get lucky sooner or later.  :)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 08:40:14 am »

I randomly check the DF forums most the time I'm awake. So I discovered pretty fast.
This.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 09:16:50 am »

couldnt get onto the website one day, assumed the release. Went over to tigsource and got confirmation.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 09:21:40 am »

Came home from work on Thursday after spending all day thinking, "Well, now comes a weekend of anxiously waiting for DF2010."  Logged into the forums, squee!'d, and started the download.

On a side note, the download from the main site was blazing-fast.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5