Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?  (Read 11582 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:05 am »

Is that seriously why multiple limb injuries won't kill a limb? The weapon literally can't break enough of it? Woah.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:31 am »

Do BC get caught in cage traps? Or are they immune, as normal traps most likely won't cut it, and big traps can be tricky.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:47 am »

Is that seriously why multiple limb injuries won't kill a limb? The weapon literally can't break enough of it? Woah.

Yeah, it seems like attacks always hit a "clean" spot on the body part, like you're never able to hack away at something.

Here's an analogy: Imagine cutting down a tree. Each chop doesn't really do a lot of damage, but you hit enough time in roughly the same spot, you cut all the way through. In current DF terms, it's more like you hit a completely different spot on the tree every single time, meaning that you just won't cut the thing down unless you can cleave through the entire thing in one blow.

I thought I remembered something in the dev log about attacks hitting previous wounds and making them worse, but maybe it's not working properly or something, or I'm just wrong about something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 02:13:14 am »

Don't forget that in Fortress mode you have traps and Siege weapons.

If it took a small group of highly skilled Dwarves to take down the Collosus then they would be absolutely no problem.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

The problem, I think, is the disparity between hurling 30 legendary marksdwarves and 10 legendary hammerdwarves at the colossus and getting slaughtered, and one cage trap. I mean, either you go the hard way and get totally massacred, or go the easy way, and that's no fun either. So yes, if you only needed a few legendaries to kill it, that would be good, but the tests show that you need far, far more, and it might be invincible (well, it's not like a disembodied head would be any real problem, but it'd still be better if it died).

Mr_Ham97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 01:24:14 pm »

What about vast arrays of catapults hurling platinum/lead, or lead-tipped (iron/steel if that's not possible) ballista arrows? Maybe dropping stone on them from hundreds of z-levels up? Dropping them into massive pits with bridge traps, as someone suggested? Making an elaborate firebomb - putting lots of lignite near your fortress entrance, and dropping a !!lignite block!! from above?

To add to that, thouhg it's only possible in fortress mode: Try building a 100+ Z-level high tower, fill it with water, then use that pressure to smack the collosus into a wall and see what happens.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:14 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:13 pm »

I threw like seven adventurers at a colossus once. I failed to kill it.
My first adventurer armed with some kind of hammer did a lot of damage though. Human. Every single body part shattered yet pieces did not come off at all.
You would think that shattering it enough would cause parts to just completely flake off or something... but alas.
Later, I started whacking it with a sasquatch corpse. Surprisingly effective. Blew fingers and toes off but still no major damage.
I eventually gave up, having sent many adventurers to their doom. I probably didn't use the most effective weapons, but DAMN those things are impossible to kill. I'm shuddering at the thought of meeting one in dwarf mode without cage traps or an atom smasher.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:12 pm »

Obviously the real test then is to see if an adventurer can kill a bronze colossus by WIELDING A BRONZE COLOSSUS CORPSE.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »

You mean the statue of trout he turns into upon death?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

Yes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 06:14:44 pm »

Hmm, Toady has mentioned stuff about various poisons, gasses and general status effects. Any chance there is something super effective against the BC? I know gnome repellent works now.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »

Using a bronze colossus corpse just leads to Catch-22 rage though. Unless you can use some of the other methods first, like superluminal water bombs or whatnot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9