Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 57290 times)

Pathos

Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:24:06 pm »

What Is Kobold Camp?
Kobold Camp is playing Dwarf Fortress as, you guessed it, kobolds. It was originally started as the brain child of a /tg/ thread ( archive link to the thread ). ( See, 4Chan does contribute positively sometimes! )

There's also a thread on these forums dedicated to the old version. The only real reason to read it is because it's bloody hilarious. Link here.

As a general thing, you build your camp above ground, as it'd be called Kobold Warren otherwise!

Why The Hell Would I Want To Play That?!
Despite the fact that kobbs are much weaker, much smaller and incapable of many more jobs than dwarves ( and trust me, this makes it a lot more difficult ), they're also adorable and it's really rewarding to raise a bunch of these weaklings into a decent camp. You will notice a great deal of difficulty due to lack of trading, lack of a lot of "essential" professions etc etc.

Okay, Then, What Now?
New version up as of 06/04! Go download it here: [Download Link]

Changelog
Spoiler: 0.3 ALPHA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 0.21 ALPHA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 0.2 ALPHA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 0.16 ALPHA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 0.15 ALPHA (click to show/hide)
NOTE on my Version Changes: A change in 0.0x is significant ( you should probably switch over ) , a change in 0.x0 is gamechanging and a change in 0.00x is not really worth changing to.

Contributors / Special Thanks
Kaelem Gaen - Contributed land owning and military nobles.
Lofn - Made fur and fur beds for the new version! Good stuff! Also made the idea for silver / lead poisoning due to mining.
Deon - Allowed me to steal silver / lead poisoning from his mod. Download his amazing mods here.
Chariot - Allowed me to integrate his amazing mods into this one. Download his wide variety of brilliant mods here.
Warlord255 - Provided the numbers on how to make weapon-able stones.

Additional Info
Well, this is the initial Kobold Camp release for DF2010 ( 0.31.01 ). Any requests for features / features that you've created that I should include?

More random stuff to be put in the better acquainted I get with the new tags.

Cutebolds = Awesome
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:34:21 am by Pathos »

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 )
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »

Why don't you include a description of what Kobold Camp is? :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »

Why don't you include a description of what Kobold Camp is? :)

Done!

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:48:37 pm »

;D

I believe that we need leaders, monarchs, etc. Could call him a Shaman, perhaps?
In my copy, I'm gonna make biting the primary attack method, as it seems more appriopiate for Cutebolds. Speaking of Cutebolds - needs graphics ported.

Also, I keep getting this at worldgen:
No controllable entity definitions available
What do?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:55:39 pm by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »

My Kobbies will be staying underground FOREVER! fuck sunlight. They will more than Likely die by some angry ant Civilization, only ran into one that was VERY happy with my 'works'
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »

With the new options we have for custom buildings and reactions, and caste types, I think Kobold Camp ought to be throughly expanded upon. Mostly for flavor , but there are a lot of uses for these things that could make it more Kobold Campish.
!!&!!

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:16:06 pm »

New version up!

With the new options we have for custom buildings and reactions, and caste types, I think Kobold Camp ought to be throughly expanded upon. Mostly for flavor , but there are a lot of uses for these things that could make it more Kobold Campish.

I can't make head or tails on the caste system, but I agree entirely on this.

A few of my ideas for the future:
- A big version of the kobolds for monarchs, maybe gender neutral and unbreedable. It depends if this is possible or not.
- A fur / leather bed maker's shop, using the new custom workshops. Shouldn't be too difficult.
- Working out the individual nobles and seeing how to use them. My ideas are to use shamans as priests ( should we have gods or use [POWERS]? ), mayors as Chieftains and the big bad boys as the aforementioned leaders.

Also, I keep getting this at worldgen:
No controllable entity definitions available
What do?

I just increased how fast kobbs breed, I don't know whether it'll help or not. Let me fire up a world.

P.S. Most of this stuff isn't really tested. Please to god inform me of bugs.

Pathos

Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.15 )
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:45:43 pm »

Hmm.. I've just had a problem of my kobolds just standing around not doing anything ( although, I've heard that some dwarves do that, too ).

I just realised there's a lack of woodcutting tools open to kobbs, so I've thrown in choppers from the old version.

But, what has me stumped is the fact that, under labours, there's no way to get labours other to butcher the kobb. I am confused.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 03:58:24 pm »

A few of my ideas for the future:
- A big version of the kobolds for monarchs, maybe gender neutral and unbreedable. It depends if this is possible or not.
- A fur / leather bed maker's shop, using the new custom workshops. Shouldn't be too difficult.
- Working out the individual nobles and seeing how to use them. My ideas are to use shamans as priests ( should we have gods or use [POWERS]? ), mayors as Chieftains and the big bad boys as the aforementioned leaders.

We are also going to need various new tools, weapons, armor, etc. made in custom workshops. Let me know if I could help with anything.
I'm gonna try and tackle the leather beds, now.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Pathos

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 04:34:12 pm »

We are also going to need various new tools, weapons, armor, etc. made in custom workshops. Let me know if I could help with anything.
I'm gonna try and tackle the leather beds, now.

I'll try and piece together bone armour in the current version, though.

New version uploaded, too. This one doesn't have butcherable kobbs.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.16 )
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »

Remember, people, kobbs can only dig through soil!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

This is rather cool looking. I think I might try it out soon.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »

I played Kobold Camp on the last version of DF and it was fun, there is definitely more room for improvement with DF 2010. I'll wait until this develops a bit more though before I download and I am also still checking out the new features of Dwarf Fortress.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:48:14 pm »

Huh and I thought I'd have to wait longer, I'll update my Langauge thing in a bit.  I wonder if he added more symbols and words though.

-ponders-

EDIT:   Oh also, since we now have custom workshops and custom "other" reactions think we can see the return of the leather beds?
It looks like you could even set it to use/train the "Leatherworking" skill.

I saw that was already though of, I'm screwing around with reactions right now to see if I can make the bed and bed workshop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:42:46 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »

My biggest beef with it is that it is impossible to build so many workshops, because the kobolds lack SO MANY skills. I mean seriously, they don't even have masonry?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26