Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 57265 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2010, 09:15:34 am »

The bedrocks generally supposed to be unmineable anyhow though so I haven't paid it much mind; it's only a pain if you would otherwise get lucky with a chert/shale ground, or a gold vein or such precious mineral that's left mineable.
As Lagotrope was saying, it's theoretically there, but it's difficult to test what with all the Aquifers about.

Gunna try sending some files too and from my computers now, since this one's been on the blink.
Should be able to get some serous testing done then.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 26, 2010, 05:18:01 pm »

Did you try to make most of the rocks undiggable and some soft ones diggable? It would allow you to live in soil and rarely get some rock.

Yes, at the moment (last version was tested) all the sand and soft soil is diggable, and most rock undiggable (chert and shale for rocks, and then native copper/silver/gold/plat as well as gem-veins remain diggable) so actually digging for rocks works as intended. The problem I got going was that you can embark with stone, and given its cheapness you could easily spare enough points for say 100 rocks, enough to last a good while.

If I recall this was made by an entity tag that I forget, and I believe removing it also had some adverse effects, opting me to leave it in. Hence as I say, that part is on the player to decide whether he wants to make it easy or hard by embarking with stone. Once you're in though, an unmodded kobold camp will be difficult or at least require luck to get much stone beyond that.

Protip: If you embark on a tile in which two brooks (or rivers whatever) merge, then usually there's a good elevation difference between the rivers, making a waterfall and more importantly a modest number of z-levels of a cliffside. Usually somewhere along the cliff side, perhaps needing scaffolding to get to, there's often diggable veins for kobolds.

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 31, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

I agree that there should be an update account for the newer versions.  Also, is their a way to for Kobolds to plant more trees?  Having the planter just start a grove of trees, even if they grow slowly, would make for a much easier time.  Is it possible?
Also, Bump for the Bump God.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 31, 2010, 11:46:09 pm »

I agree that there should be an update account for the newer versions.  Also, is their a way to for Kobolds to plant more trees?  Having the planter just start a grove of trees, even if they grow slowly, would make for a much easier time.  Is it possible?
I don't think theres a way to plant real trees, but it may be possible to mod a crop that gives wood when harvested

Also, I'm working on a few pets for kobold camp. So far I have Pet spiders (taking the place of cats), Mantis shrimp (pretty damn powerful, but not unreasonably so. Might need to nerf them to keep them in the tradition of kobold camp), and giant centipedes which have a weak paralyzing bite. I'm working on some pack animal types currently, maybe gigantic rats or large beetles. Not really sure. Anyways, if you're interested in including them with the mod I can post them as soon as their finished. It seems to me that kobolds should have their own set of animals, I can't see them with cats and cows and dogs and stuff.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:40 am »

Did you try to make most of the rocks undiggable and some soft ones diggable? It would allow you to live in soil and rarely get some rock.

Yes, at the moment (last version was tested) all the sand and soft soil is diggable, and most rock undiggable (chert and shale for rocks, and then native copper/silver/gold/plat as well as gem-veins remain diggable) so actually digging for rocks works as intended. The problem I got going was that you can embark with stone, and given its cheapness you could easily spare enough points for say 100 rocks, enough to last a good while.

If I recall this was made by an entity tag that I forget, and I believe removing it also had some adverse effects, opting me to leave it in. Hence as I say, that part is on the player to decide whether he wants to make it easy or hard by embarking with stone. Once you're in though, an unmodded kobold camp will be difficult or at least require luck to get much stone beyond that.

Protip: If you embark on a tile in which two brooks (or rivers whatever) merge, then usually there's a good elevation difference between the rivers, making a waterfall and more importantly a modest number of z-levels of a cliffside. Usually somewhere along the cliff side, perhaps needing scaffolding to get to, there's often diggable veins for kobolds.
It's STONE_PREF. Without it you will be unable to buy stones from your parent civ. Also you could just increase the rock's value dramatically, because the rock SHOULD be valuable for kobolds.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:07 am »

Just a quick post here to say: Today I noticed that [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] is listed twice in the entity_default file. (Once below choppers, and once below throwing hammers.)
Don't think it makes any difference, but it doesn't look too streamlined.

On a side note, I'm testing out having a seperate Kobold Civilization in my DF-proper.
Hopefully I should be able to play as Tribal Kobolds, while also being hostile towards feral Kobolds.
This should shake up the playing field a little bit.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »

It's STONE_PREF. Without it you will be unable to buy stones from your parent civ. Also you could just increase the rock's value dramatically, because the rock SHOULD be valuable for kobolds.

Yes, stone_pref was it, but removing it had some effect that eludes me. I didn't think of increasing the rock value though, I'll take that route for sure, thank you.

Just a quick post here to say: Today I noticed that [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] is listed twice in the entity_default file. (Once below choppers, and once below throwing hammers.)
Don't think it makes any difference, but it doesn't look too streamlined.

On a side note, I'm testing out having a seperate Kobold Civilization in my DF-proper.
Hopefully I should be able to play as Tribal Kobolds, while also being hostile towards feral Kobolds.
This should shake up the playing field a little bit.

Note is made, that'll be fixed in the next version.
I was also toying around with the idea of having a seperate kobold entity, the plus side being that I can leave entity_default untouched. Let me know how that goes for you.

I don't think theres a way to plant real trees, but it may be possible to mod a crop that gives wood when harvested

Also, I'm working on a few pets for kobold camp. So far I have Pet spiders (taking the place of cats), Mantis shrimp (pretty damn powerful, but not unreasonably so. Might need to nerf them to keep them in the tradition of kobold camp), and giant centipedes which have a weak paralyzing bite. I'm working on some pack animal types currently, maybe gigantic rats or large beetles. Not really sure. Anyways, if you're interested in including them with the mod I can post them as soon as their finished. It seems to me that kobolds should have their own set of animals, I can't see them with cats and cows and dogs and stuff.

Wood crops, that's an excellent idea if somewhat unrealistic (trees don't grow in a season) but it may be worth looking into. I'm pretty sure that's possible to make work.
As for animals/critters, I was definitely interested, but couldn't make creatures for the life of me (the raws in 31.xx escape my mind's grasp.) So if you finish those, I'd love to include them in.

Quite a few good ideas all of a sudden. I won't get started immediately though, I'd like to wait until the new version of DF is out, which if the log is to be believed won't be terribly long. I'll also try one more starting a new thread when all this is said and done.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 01, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »

If you do make a new thread, link to it from this one. Hopefully that'll help the migration, not to mention the fact that I don't visit this branch of the forums often and would likely miss it.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 01, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »

Okay, my first and only camp with a fully established civilization behind it is finnally underway..Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure about the status of the other Civilization of Kobolds...
There was only one listing of "Kobold" on the nabours screen and that was friendly, so there is a possibility that the game will only gen one civ per race. I'm hoping that's not the case though, and I think I'm gunna try running another world gen and checking the Ledgends instead.

While, this may take a slight tweak in the Civ's higherarchy, if the new towns and cities aren't too massive, setting the Kobold's native habitat to Town, it should theoretically make it gen Kobold towns that actually resemble what I expect the average camp to look like. I think it'd be pretty neat to grab quests from a Kobold Shaman, or Chieftain. :P

And, just a quick note~
I removed the Item_Theif tag from the Kobold-Town Civ, to try and build hostilities between them and regular Skulking Kobolds. While I can't determine the Skulking presence yet, I've noticed that Elves have become a lot more tolerant. It'd be nice if there was a way to pick and choose who attacks who by default, etc!

Can't wait for the new topic! .. Or the new version for that matter.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2010, 07:08:30 pm »

Okay, my first and only camp with a fully established civilization behind it is finnally underway..Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure about the status of the other Civilization of Kobolds...
There was only one listing of "Kobold" on the nabours screen and that was friendly, so there is a possibility that the game will only gen one civ per race. I'm hoping that's not the case though, and I think I'm gunna try running another world gen and checking the Ledgends instead.

While, this may take a slight tweak in the Civ's higherarchy, if the new towns and cities aren't too massive, setting the Kobold's native habitat to Town, it should theoretically make it gen Kobold towns that actually resemble what I expect the average camp to look like. I think it'd be pretty neat to grab quests from a Kobold Shaman, or Chieftain. :P

And, just a quick note~
I removed the Item_Theif tag from the Kobold-Town Civ, to try and build hostilities between them and regular Skulking Kobolds. While I can't determine the Skulking presence yet, I've noticed that Elves have become a lot more tolerant. It'd be nice if there was a way to pick and choose who attacks who by default, etc!

Can't wait for the new topic! .. Or the new version for that matter.

Yes, if you copy/paste the humans default LIKES_SITE to TOWN/CITY or whatever it was, there will be kobold towns (and very likely keeps which isn't very camp like.) It's also astrew with all sorts of crazy side effects, even if you don't touch the other entities, toying with that sort of thing in 40d goes crazy; there'd be elves making human towns, dwarven forest retreats and human dark fortresses. All gets weird. Maybe it's better now.

And that might be possible about the one civ per race, I do know it's one race per civ (multiple race entries in one civ will make the game randomly pick one) though this was worked around with the caste system. It is possible though to make two different kobold races. I'm too rusty on the raws to recall, but there may have been a way for the identifier to be different (which they have to be) but still have both creatures be referred to as kobolds. Could have feral kobold and tribal kobold races, set up the entities, have the cake and eat it too.

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 12, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »

is there a mac version? i tried every which way to mess with the windows version but failed.

i want to play as kobolds....
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 12, 2010, 06:17:54 pm »

Don't know if this has been suggested or not, but you could mod in bamboo as a new farmable tree type.  That stuff grows ridiculously fast.  Its uses as a material are incredibly versatile, including edibility.  The only feasability issue left is its appropriateness in DF's ancient european setting, but it still feels really appropriate for kobolds.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 12, 2010, 06:18:34 pm »

Download the raw files then patch them into the game. I tend to use that way rather than using a seperate executable.

Also, I've done some research on buildings, civilizations and towns on 0.17. Forest Retreats don't generate buildings, it seems.
I also tried getting a town to spawn in the first layer of the caverns, but that didn't work.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 14, 2010, 08:41:21 am »

New version is up! Haven't had so much time so I haven't added much of the latest inputs in, but hopefully I can make room for it. For now, it's just a port to the latest version of DF.

BUT I have made a new thread regardless. Please go there for links/responses/ever.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70558.0
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]