Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Suddenly, Custom Workshop.  (Read 8836 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Suddenly, Custom Workshop.
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »

While playing DF31, I built a soap maker's workshop and then took a look at its raws to see what was needed to make soap.
I closed without saving or even editing the raws and eventually saved my game to play with arena mode. When I go back to my fort, I noticed that I had 2 jeweler's workshops. I go to see what the other one is(it had a cross at the top-left square) and it's a "Custom Workshop." It's where my soap maker's workshop was and I can't use it for anything('cause I don't have the stuff to make soap.).
Is this a bug and what just happened?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Suddenly, Custom Workshop.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:56 pm »

Interesting.  I know that I couldn't make anything at my normal soap makers' workshop, so maybe they're just not finished.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »

I want a soap maker's shop that turns stone into soap :P so I might edit the rwars to get me that XD

but other than that, no idea what to tell ya ^^
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:18 am »

Interesting.  I know that I couldn't make anything at my normal soap makers' workshop, so maybe they're just not finished.

nah they're finished the problem there is with lye not the workshop when lye is created its put into a bucket..problem is soap workshop only takes barrels so some dwarf has to go swap them around..which the do it just takes them awhile

still i have no idea how you did that without changing the raws op though each regions raws are now in the save folder so you might check there and copy and past the main raw file from the object folder to there

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:20:39 pm »

When I reload my game my "Laboratory" (place where I make all my custom stuff) renames it's self to "custom workshop" and it changes how the structure looks to mimic my wagon......

When I try to use this custom workshop, it has zero building options...

Edit- After saving and reloading twice, no more issue....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:19:38 pm by Zwaryczuk »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:59:02 am »

I have the same issue, it's a bug.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

Yeah definitely a bug. I'm not sure of the exact cause or how to replicate, but it happened a number of times with my meat grinder and now my stove & oven workshop.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:01 am »

People having this problem: are you using Wine to run DF?

Also, this bug has an entry on the tracker.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:13 am »

I have had this issue too, while using WINE.  What i have discovered (on my end) is that linux (gedit) creates a hidden temporary file when you edit one of the raws, in the same directory.  DF sees both of these and freaks out a bit.

Delete the temp files and it seems to work fine, at least for me.

This has also caused me to have mussel and oyster civilizations on numerous occasions.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »

^^^ Interesting.  That was reported with creature raws here, but it hadn't occurred to me that it could be causing the custom workshop issues too.  I made a note with a link back to this thread.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:29:36 pm »

Another note on this-- if you delete the temp files, then remove and rebuild your workshops, everything should be fine. 

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »

I closed without saving or even editing the raws and eventually saved my game to play with arena mode. When I go back to my fort, I noticed that I had 2 jeweler's workshops.
Toady has revolutionized modding. No longer do you have to actually edit files, just open a raw, make a wish, and go back to DF.

:watches in awe:
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:08:42 am »

I've been able to reproduce this while testing my new custom furnaces.

The issue seems to be that you have to have saved the game BEFORE building the custom workshop/furnace otherwise the game gets confused somehow. Anything you build AFTER your first save/reload will work fine.

Steps to reproduce:
  Start a new fort and build a custom workshop before you've saved at all. Then save and reload. The workshop should be messed up (could be generic, could be a wagon, seems to be variable).
  If you build custom workshops after this point they'll work fine even after saving and reloading.

Workaround: Simply save your fort before building any custom workshops. So far I haven't been able to get this bug to show up after my first save in a fort but it's reliable before the first save.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One