Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best traps to use in 2010?  (Read 14486 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Best traps to use in 2010?
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:00:06 pm »

I'm trying to build my public execution machine. I recently aquired a lot of caged troglodites, and want to splatter their blood all over my courtyard.
So, what is the best kind of trap to dump them on top of in order to ensure a messy death? Back in 40d I would have just gone with 10x serrated disks, but from what I hear those now do little more than send enemies flying a short distance?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Best traps to use in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:14:44 pm »

See my signature.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

Just drop them off a 10z high tower over your courtyard and watch them splatter everywhere :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »

Giant axe blades are probably your best bet.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »

Just drop them off a 10z high tower over your courtyard and watch them splatter everywhere :D

Ten?

Dude. This version lets you dig pits over 100s deep.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:15:36 pm »

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
What game are YOU talking about?

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

Sig'd.
Only in dwarf fortress....
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »

Plus it's a bit impractical to have a 100z-level tower over your fortress...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »

Plus it's a bit impractical to have a 100z-level tower over your fortress...

Who said tower?
I said pit.

I guess you could dig out a tower...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »

Who's talking about a 100z tower? A regular 10-15z tower above ground with 120z of freefall below should do just fine. Preferably with windows for dwarves to watch stuff flying by. If there were such things as proper acceleration and air resistance, I'd try to find out if a fat goblin has the same terminal velocity as an elf or a skinny elephant. Or if anybody dies of old age or has children before reaching the ground  :P

The most efficient trap is either magma (if you have a pipe or feel like building a 100z pump tower), water, magma plus water or dropping everybody a few dozen levels. Into magma or water or both.
And cage traps of course. I already have a nice collection of goblins and various underground lifeforms.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »

Best traps?

As always, CAGE TRAPS combined with death pit. Best ever. Can be combined with drowning pit if you dig it above the lake level.

But otherwise. Weapon traps. There are very very few things that can get through a 3x10 passage filled with spike ball traps, which are the best trap components.

Other good choices are trapping them between two bridges, then having the intervening area filled with spike traps. Set the lever connected to the spikes (1 lever for all spikes) to be repeat pulled. Nothing survives that for long.

But remember, spiked balls are the best trap components. They bash AND pierce, good versus EVERYTHING that.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 08:39:06 pm »

Thanks for the tips...but again, my goal is to spray blood, not simply kill. Magma and drowning wouldn't really accomplish the goal. So far I like the giant axe blades best.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »

Thanks for the tips...but again, my goal is to spray blood, not simply kill. Magma and drowning wouldn't really accomplish the goal. So far I like the giant axe blades best.

Spike traps will also EXPLODE stuff. So they're a good choice too since they never jam.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: [1] 2