Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I really LOVE the new version Toady! Greatest Alpha Ever  (Read 1995 times)

Axebane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I really LOVE the new version Toady! Greatest Alpha Ever
« on: November 07, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

Had to finally register (been lurking for months) to let Toady know that this new version is wonderful!

I discovered DF several months ago, and had been eagerly anticipating the new release. It was released 3 days after my birthday too!

Anyway, I'm working on my 3rd fortress in the new version. The Z-levels were confusing at first, but now I've really got the hang of building down into the earth. My current design will have a drawbridge at the entrance over a deep Z-level pit with spikes at the bottom. When the drawbridge is up, invaders must take a long corridor to enter the fort, and on both sides of it are fortifications with archers on the other side.

I really love the "detailed" job-names now too. In the old version I used to use custom job names just to keep track of how many Cooks vs. Farmers I had, or Engravers vs. Masons. Now the game keeps track of it for me by having many more job names to support the various workers.

There are so many other features that I love also in the new version, but I'll keep this post short and finish with: Wonderful job Toady! Dwarf Fortress is hands-down the greatest Alpha version of any game ever created!

P.S. Quick tip for all DF players out there: Make sure you have downloaded the new NEW release, (refresh the main DF page in your browser) the version released on 1 November, otherwise you will experience lag issues.

Minuteman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I really LOVE the new version Toady! Greatest Alpha Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

Remember that nothing says "I love you" like a fat wad of bills.  :)

Though with all the whiners coming out of the woodwork lately, it's nice to explicitly communicate that thought to Toady as well. I'm going to have my crayon picture framed and hung!

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Axebane:
<STRONG>Greatest Alpha Ever!</STRONG>

Hear, hear!

quote:
The Z-levels were confusing at first, but now I've really got the hang of building down into the earth.

Down? Hell, I'm going up! I have 6 towers set up so far. 1 9-story tall 14X10 tower acting as stockpiles, workshops and administration and 4 8-story tall 6X6 towers acting as residential blocks. I have used an insane amount of stone in pursuit of my screwy dreams  :)

quote:

P.S. Quick tip for all DF players out there: Make sure you have downloaded the new NEW release, (refresh the main DF page in your browser) the version released on 1 November, otherwise you will experience lag issues.

Yeah, I was using the old-new version for quite a bit. With 60 folks passing each other on the grand staircases every few seconds the lag was atrocious...

Anyway, TO THE SKIES!

- A kinda crappy cross-section of CampCarnage.

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Indeed! This is truly the best game I have ever tried.
Too bad that every time I tell my friends, and my girlfriend about it, they keep telling me "But it's so ugly! That... that thing cannot be played by a normal person"...

Well, their loss. I'll keep trying to preach people into playing dwarf fortress whenever I can  :) (whenever I'm not playing it) Keep up the work Toady!
Toady, Legendary game designer has created a Masterpiece!

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

I find it stunningly beautiful, actually. The new version's environments are flat-out amazing. I guess I'm just used to the characters by now, or maybe I'm just a little more willing to use a bit of imagination.

The new version is really great all-around, and now I can't wait for the kinks to get worked out for the *next* version. Just imagine the awesomeness after another year of development...and another year after that. With each step closer it gets to version 1, the game exerts exponentially more pull on me, like some great black hole made of win.  :D

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

The new version is cool, but the next big version will be much better!   :cool:

Axebane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 01:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>I find it stunningly beautiful, actually. The new version's environments are flat-out amazing. I guess I'm just used to the characters by now, or maybe I'm just a little more willing to use a bit of imagination.</STRONG>

I also think the ASCII(text) graphics are very well done in Dwarf Fortress. The symbol and color used for each object generally "makes sense" to me, making it easy to scan the screen and see what is happening quickly.

The clean pixels of simple graphics like ASCII also have the advantage of looking so clear and sharp to me.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

"I don't even see the code anymore, just blonde, brunette, redhead..."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go kill myself for actually quoting the Matrix.

This is not a signature.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeblix:
<STRONG>"I don't even see the code anymore, just blonde, brunette, redhead..."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go kill myself for actually quoting the Matrix.</STRONG>

Don't worry, I'm sure we all did when trying to explain DF to anyone.  :(

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

Hell no! Dwarf Fortress > Matrix. Using the Matrix to explain DF is like using pixie sticks to explain hard drugs.