Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (0.31.01) Runtime Errors, Especially with the Military Screen  (Read 3208 times)

tigervx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay so I've been having a blast with my first two forts with the new version, and I've encountered very little bugs actually. But now suddenly, with my second fort (first one died because of a goblin ambush and my inability to use the new military screen, in case you were wondering) I get runtime errors randomly when I try and use the new military screen.

Sometimes it works and when I press m it brings up the screen and I can do my thing, but many times when I press m it'll stop for a couple seconds and then pop up with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! This is making the game pretty much unplayable, as I simply can't train a military like this. I got runtime errors before when trying to embark on an area larger than 9x9 on the world map, but I'm using an 8x8 now and its working fine besides this. My computer has a 3.3 Ghz Dual Core, a wonderful graphics card (Not that that matters, really), and 4 gigs of ram. I'm also using the Mayday version of the new release, if that helps.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (0.31.01) Runtime Errors, Especially with the Military Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:27:32 pm »

I was just tinkering around with the military screen; so far I've gotten uniforms and training schedule down, but on the Order List if I use * or / to scroll between orders when there's only one the game will crash to desktop.

m > s > tab > / or *

Error details as follows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »

I sometimes get one when I hit 's' to bring up the squad menu. It's possible it's related.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »

I have a save with the following bugs:

* hangs forever when 'm' is pressed (one three-member squad, currently inactive)
* dude with an injured toe whose surgery never completes (approx 18 months now)
* auto-workshop tasks (loom, kitchen, ...) do not get generated
* jobs list contains zombie "fill pond" jobs from deleted pond zones

region1.7z -> http://www.sendspace.com/file/63newd
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:44:57 pm by freeze »

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »

I have something similar when I press tab to highlight the train command, 'train 10'

Then press  '/'  '*' to increase the number or decrease it.

I get an instant crash on every world I generated and every fort so far.

'dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and must quit'

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »

Thank you, as soon as i pressed the start DF crashed immediately with that horrible Runtime Error.
re-setting Graphics to NO in the init.txt was enough to fix that, i could reset Graphics to YES after the worldgen was finished and enjoy my old modified guybrush.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »

* hangs forever when 'm' is pressed

Got the same problem.  It only started after my fort matured.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

beardydwarfbutt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:23 pm »

I have something similar when I press tab to highlight the train command, 'train 10'

Then press  '/'  '*' to increase the number or decrease it.

I get an instant crash on every world I generated and every fort so far.

'dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and must quit'

I have the exact same problem.

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
  • huzzah for home automation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »

* hangs forever when 'm' is pressed (one three-member squad, currently inactive)

I too see this problem.  The fortress is about 3 years old, and at the beginning of the season, there were no problems, but towards the end, I start getting this freeze (also a 3-dwarf squad, too).  I no longer have the save of the early season, though.  I'm not sure what was changing, however.  No migrants, nothing.  I just dug out some soil and built some floors.
Nothing to see here.

chintznibbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 12:26:14 am »

I was just tinkering around with the military screen; so far I've gotten uniforms and training schedule down, but on the Order List if I use * or / to scroll between orders when there's only one the game will crash to desktop.

m > s > tab > / or *

Error details as follows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had this happen to me yesterday.  Pretty aggravating, especially since I was almost through one season and had a load of useful migrants (imagine that!) show up that summer.  Now I bet I'm slated to get six peasants and a Fish Dissector.

Wilson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:00 am »

I've been playing my first fort with the new version, and I've had the same error as the OP, but only after I activate any of my military squads. I can tinker with all the options in the squads or military screen, but as soon as I change either of my (two) squads from inactive to active, I get a crash to desktop soon after.

Slefft

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:17 am »

I've noticed a run-time error that occurs when you try to copy "No scheduled order" to another month.  It's a bug that's easily avoided by just manually removing orders from the desired months, but has still caused some anguish while copying and pasting orders if I'm not paying too much attention to what I'm doing.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:54 am »

there are three verifiable crash bugs in the military screen which I've already put up in the wiki pages. They are as follows.

in Military/Schedules -- copying an empty order onto a non-empty order causes a crash.
in Military/Schedule-Grid -- Trying to access the schedule grid of the inactive alert group causes a crash.
in Military/Equipment -- trying to access Pri/Assignments (m e U P) when you have no squads causes a crash.

It's entirely possible there are others as well, but those are three dependable crash bugs that are in the military screen. I've seen the report for a crash the instant the military screen is entered. I have not seen any steps to reliably reproduce that situation yet.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:32 am »

As of today, I now have runtime errors whenever I use the mayday tileset and try to enter the design a world screen. I do not have the problems with any other tileset, and did not have the problem yesterday, and have changed nothing since yesterday.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 08:50:41 am »

there are three verifiable crash bugs in the military screen which I've already put up in the wiki pages. They are as follows.

It's entirely possible there are others as well, but those are three dependable crash bugs that are in the military screen. I've seen the report for a crash the instant the military screen is entered. I have not seen any steps to reliably reproduce that situation yet.

I suspect it's due to the unrevealed ambush present on the map in my save posted above.

As of today, I now have runtime errors whenever I use the mayday tileset and try to enter the design a world screen. I do not have the problems with any other tileset, and did not have the problem yesterday, and have changed nothing since yesterday.
There is a workaround for this one. I don't have a link but a fixed tileset has been posted to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:52:58 am by freeze »