Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 54562 times)

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:03 pm »

I think Toady HAS mentioned something about sewage. I don't know why I recall it being a planned feature, but I am pretty sure it is.

As for the idea, I have the feeling my sewage channels are going to be a serious weak point in my fortress designs, and honestly, losing a fortress to a bunch of shitcaked gobbos... well, I actually don't think it would upset me at all. If they crawled through THAT after what I feed my Dwarves? They deserve the fortress, all the wealth inside, some antibiotics, and a medal.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:00 pm »

The most amusing use for sewage that I can think of is dumping it into the pits of Hell, all full o' HFS.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:35 am »

The best thing about this would be that if you dumped shit into magma it would release poo gas. (200 internets to anyone that gets that reference.)
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:33 am »

Can we just DROP this one already... I don't want to have to freaking organize a SEWAGE SYSTEM along WITH a drainage and water system damn it.
Wouldn't be that hard to have a flowing channel of water running under every room's toilet and out onto some poor beastmen's camp.

It would be if you embark without flowing surface water and you decide to build entirely on the surface while all the underground pools are down about 100 z-levels. Then it becomes just a little annoying in the early game.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 12:45:05 am »

It's really not necessary, nor useful. Just another annoying burden.
You're against annoying burdens and you play dwarf fortress?
I'm against vulgar annoying burdens.

I mean, SOMEONE would build a drowning trap that runs on sewage. And that's just wrong.
Because tentacle demons who spew 'white filth' and are loved for their naughty intentions isn't vulgar?
Tentacle demon drowning trap. Poop's for kiddies and elves.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 12:50:20 am »

One could simply dig a large underground cistern to fill with your dwarven leavings. I mean, a 5x5x5 cistern is... 125 tiles. At 1/7 filth per leaving, that means you could use such a cistern 875 times. Beyond the obvious miasma in the latrine house (as raw filth generates miasma, but filth mixed with water (filthy water) does not), you could easily 'cop out' if you didn't wish to try for a sewer system. Or even init line it out, like the economy.

For kicks, I'm building bath-houses (already in game, sort of) and will include sewer systems for filthy water running from false latrines. Try and stop me!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 12:55:32 am »

I think Toady HAS mentioned something about sewage. I don't know why I recall it being a planned feature, but I am pretty sure it is.
Actually, as I remember it he said he was completely against it. I'll look.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:36 am »

He was, it came up in one of the podcasts. The only possible plan would be for hunting, where you can spot cougar sign and stuff.

Besides, you guys are glorifying this too much. All dwarves would get is a chamber pot to each room, which gets cleaned out eventually. Heck, you might even dump it outside of a fortress walls, instead of building a sweage system.

The idea is fairly pointless though, and at this point, I'd like more meaningful additions to the game.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 01:23:29 am »

Hi!

Actually, while I am not a fan of feces myself, it is not completely pointless anymore.

You see, the new version has added infections and the like and sewage system is a major hygienic aspect that has serious health implications. For instance, if the feces were to be dropped into water also used for drinking purposes, you would get an increased probability of diseases among the populace, and if their feces reached the well, you may very well end up with an epidemic in the fortress.

Thus, the sewage requirement would actually enhance and strengthen some of the new features of the game and thus be not completely pointless.

Having said that, I have to admit that I personally am just fine without having feces in the game. I actually prefer to ignore that aspect of realism as much as possible :) :) :)

Deathworks

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:47 am »

Which is why dwarves would go in the river by default, which would wash it away.

Helloooooooo e.coli epidemics!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 02:24:50 am »

Oh look, add a meaningless addon to make healthcare more valuable.

Actually, the ONE benefit to adding waste management would be to just hear "Urist McSickdwarf has died of dysentery."
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 02:29:03 am »

Oh look, add a meaningless addon to make healthcare more valuable.

Actually, the ONE benefit to adding waste management would be to just hear "Urist McSickdwarf has died of dysentery."
Having a dwarf vomit is also meaningless, but it's in the game. Vermin are almost entirely meaningless but they're in the game. Heck, ELVES are entirely meaningless and they're in the game. :P

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:55 am »

Your dorfs should be able to throw crap at people they hate just like we did back when I spent some time in the iron bar hotel.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 03:09:01 am »

Shouldn't this be placed in the eternal suggestion thing and closed from discussion forever?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sarstan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 05:17:45 am »

Your dorfs should be able to throw crap at people they hate just like we did back when I spent some time in the iron bar hotel.
Considering you can throw vomit, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to throw the other end of the digestive tract's remains.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27