Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 54459 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:40 am »

With 150 z levels a few levels connected to the fort only through grates and filled with water will be easy to design. I think it should be optional, as my most recent fort actually has a working plumbing system, though it lacks game mechanic practicality.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:42 am »

I know I'd cut the poop into bricks, and build an enormous elf-killing tower with them.

ALL NATURAL MATERIALS BITCHES.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 07:03:16 am »

It's really not necessary, nor useful. Just another annoying burden.
You're against annoying burdens and you play dwarf fortress?
I'm against vulgar annoying burdens.

I mean, SOMEONE would build a drowning trap that runs on sewage. And that's just wrong.

No, that is the very reason that has to be implemented sometime.
Sapienti Sat.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 07:26:30 am »

You give dwarves sewage systems, and they will build a megaproject that spews it across the land to cover their enemies. Hell, they would mix it with magma for good measure, insult to injury.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:07 am »

I don't like the concept of biological waste but I love the concept of a sewer system just because my fortress can have an unnecessarily large one like in every fantasy game ever, what if something associated with production created some sort of industrial waste, or giblets could be dumped to cut down on the miasma
Thank you based dwarf.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 08:15:08 am »

Having to worry about a fully functional, clean, and organized sewerage system would be great fun for the game. Another aspect of 'realistic' fort development that we could hang on to (or turn off in the init file) that would go along well with a working siege system.

Reason being that if you rely on dumping waste outside of your living area (as most sane fort creators would do), a siege would put a kink in that plan rather nicely. Close up your fort, then you have to worry about -real- siege problems besides food, namely the rampant spread of disease and filth.

I mean, sure. Someone can mod feces to be used as food, wielded as a weapon, or made into acidic horror. But hey, people are making breasts and genitals for the dwarves. DF is growing up. Might as well do the job properly.

And while I wouldn't make a poo drowning trap (which is just horrible, and very DF to design), I would create disgusting 'refuse' piles where invaders could find themselves plummeted in. I'm not sure what's more Dwarfy - drowning someone in filth, or starving them in 2/7 of it.

Oh my. The elves. The poor elves.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:56 am »

Shouldn't this be placed in the eternal suggestion thing
THAT.
I'd vote for it.

Edit: actually, it is already there.
>Feces and urine http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php
>http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25070.0
With only 55 votes. I know theres much more of us who want it, go vote NOW!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:43:07 am by Urist McDepravity »

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 08:49:32 am »

I personally would enjoy beasts creeping through the sewers. Perhaps a secret way for kobold thieves and the like to get into your fortress. Sawing off the metal bars to the large catacomb like sewer and scurrying out the toilet, and all that just so he can steal some turtle shell crafts.

Although I can see it being annoying and a burden at some points, I think a fully working sewer system with water to wash out the filth and miasma filled tunnels would be pretty cool. Maybe in adventure mode if your walking through them certain filth beasts are spawned in the sewers like blobs of ooze and all that.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 09:03:47 am »

I want sewage just so I can build a massive sewer system and throw alligators in it.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:55 am »

This is why we embark with buckets now. =D

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:14 am »

This sounds like yet another unnecessary, disgusting, useless addition to the game.

Bring it on.  ;D
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 11:00:45 am »

This sounds like yet another unnecessary, disgusting, useless addition to the game.

Bring it on.  ;D
So sigged.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 11:26:45 am »

Huh. Does Miasma spawn when you drop the decaying things in water? Maybe there's already a good reason for a "sewer" system.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 03:38:44 am »

I just realised why we need this.
So we can have power plants fuelled solely by the excrement of 50 dwarves.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 04:36:47 am »

The idea of a full-on sewer system does sound more than a little obnoxious to set up. If we're talking about little bricks of poo, slowly accumulating volumes of miasma-inducing liquid, and a necessity for running-water sewers, then I'd vote hard-core "NO." Or at least have it listed in the init options to be disabled. The game has enough stuff to worry about right now without the terrifying possibility that my dwarves will literally drown in a sea of miasma and dwarf poop just because I didn't feel like carving out an intricate system of tunnels to carry away their

However, if chamber-pots (designatable as public or private) are an option as an alternative to (still available) well-like "outhouse" structures, and if we're talking about something that will affect happy/unhappy thoughts (but not be an absolute necessity), then I can see supporting the idea. I mean, I guess I'd always just assumed that the poop was there, and that the dwarves just kinda took care of it without intervention. I wouldn't mind being able to micromanage their poop if it wasn't completely integral to having a working fort.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27