Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 54480 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2011, 08:07:30 am »

I doubt dwarves can create life... not even implying the philosophical problems, a reaction-produced child would have no genetics information.

Maybe dwarf genetics are software, not hardware?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:52 am »

I doubt dwarves can create life... not even implying the philosophical problems, a reaction-produced child would have no genetics information.

Philosophical problems?  From a race that butchers mermaids because their bones are the most valuable? 

Anyway, the game creates creatures wholecloth from nothing all the time - see sieges and starting migrants.  In fact, in Worldgen, most of the characters have no data in worldgen, and only get stats once your adventurer actually goes to meet them.

A lack of genetics information isn't something the game can't find a way to dodge around.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:27 pm »

You can always include a few drops of blood of various persons in the recipe... Or alternatively consider it a homunculus/golem/living doll like Pinocchio etc. Plenty of options in mythology.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:49 am »

Considering that DF is a management sim regarding medieval-esque civilization, I think waste management is honestly an incredibly essential part of it.

There should be an init function to disable it, sure, but it shouldn't be ignored. What's an adventure story without a trek through the monster infested city sewers?

I agree with the way Nikov outlined it: it handles the issue nicely, while keeping to a medieval/Roman level of tech, without being overly graphic.  "Urist McDwarf was disgusted by filth recently" is no worse nor graphic than "annoyed by flies" or "disgusted by miasma".  We don't need to hear about the grody bits anymore than we need long renditions about flies going in orifices or the exact patterns of blood and ruptured organs on the walls.

This is, after all, a fantasy world simulator and the sewers, undercities, etc. of fantasy are a well established trope.  Vast sewage labyrinths aren't just the realm of fantasy anyway: major cities like Paris boast huge sewers dating back centuries that rival any dungeon in breadth and scope.  As for their importance in a siege, consider the case of Prince John and the castle he lost in France back in the 13th century.  Chateau Gaillard was built by Richard I to be an impregnable fortress to guard his holdings in Normandy, but when ol' John took the throne he added a latrine to the Chapel for whatever reason (maybe he had a taste for Indian food before Mass, who knows?).  When the French laid siege to the castle, one French soldier found the new tunnel from the latrine to the outside, climbed in with a few others, and opened the gates from within.  The castle could have lasted years, plenty long for relief to arrive from England, but John lost his ENTIRE CASTLE due to a poorly thought out sewer system.

That's IRL, not somebody's silly little game fortress.  It brought down a castle, which led to a series of defeats that ended with the signing of the Magna Carta, the document which paved the way for civil rights as we know them.  Pretty big impact, no?

I like the idea of my dwarves being more fantasy-ey (complete with vaults and a sprawling sewer undercity complete with criminals, banished outcasts, and whatever roaming beasts and monsters make their way in), and the idea of having to prepare for all manner of problems with sieges.  Enemies are crafty, and anything that models that further is fine by me.

I also agree with having an INIT option like FITH: YES/NO for those who either find it gross and juvenile, or don't care to deal with dorf potties.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2011, 05:08:46 am »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]