Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meta: put new suggestions on Mantis?  (Read 2264 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meta: put new suggestions on Mantis?
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »

The Mantis bug tracker has a "feature" severity level, which I'm guessing is for suggestions.  So should we put new suggestions on Mantis, or keep them here is this forum?

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meta: put new suggestions on Mantis?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:25 am »

should we put new suggestions on Mantis
I do not think so. But of course Footkerchief is person to answer that. :)

Speaking of Mantis, I would suggest that duplicated reports or reports that are not bugs should be marked differently than "resolved" (green). I intepret resolving as "there was bug and it was fixed". This can be confusing in other cases.

AFAIK in mantis there are other, more appropriate statuses for this kind of reports - you can close report without resolving it (color gray?).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:09 am »

Speaking of Mantis, I would suggest that duplicated reports or reports that are not bugs should be marked differently than "resolved" (green). I intepret resolving as "there was bug and it was fixed". This can be confusing in other cases.

They should be closed, not resolved.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:25:02 pm »

should we put new suggestions on Mantis
I do not think so. But of course Footkerchief is person to answer that. :)

I'm not, really.  Personally I think the forum is a better environment for discussion, and that discussion is a really important part of suggestions.  It's not my decision by any means, though.

They should be closed, not resolved.

Someone raised the same issue on the tracker.  This is what I told them:

I'm setting them as "resolved" so that Toady can review them before closing them. As far as I can tell, that's the expected workflow for Mantis, so I'm trying it out. Also, when you resolve tickets, it gives you to the opportunity to also set a duplicate relationship, which is more convenient than doing it as two separate steps.

In addition to the fact that Mantis makes it easier to do things this way, here's a workflow diagram for general bug tracking:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree that "resolved" isn't the best word for duplicates, though.  This is all still very experimental, so I may switch to closing them directly, depending on what works best for Toady.

e: Heard back from Toady -- we're going to stick with this method, at least for now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:55:40 am by Footkerchief »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:46 pm »

Fair enough.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:41 am »

I had a few brief words with footkerchief on this subject, and it was indicated to me that the process was to leave the decision to close an issue strictly up to Toady himself. While I agree I might choose to do it differently, it really boils down to what process works for Toady really.