Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Atlantis PBeM - Thanks to Qwerty! (if it works)  (Read 8563 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantis PBeM - Thanks to Qwerty! (if it works)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »

I can unzip .zip files.

Even if I couldn't, I'll just stick it on my windows and targzip it myself.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:29:55 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

world.cpp: At global scope:
world.cpp:814: error: prototype for âint ARegion::CanBeStartingCity(ARegionArray*)â does not match any in class âARegionâ
../aregion.h:211: error: candidate is: int ARegion::CanBeStartingCity(int*)
$

Error... :-\

Also, I got a lot of errors earlier about a variable not being declared. Any ideas?

EDIT: The not declared var is aRegionArray, the one having problems earlier. I'll try to fix it...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:39:28 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantis PBeM - Need C++ Compile Help!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 02:20:03 am »

Well, after some work, maybe this phrase may be related? "pre-iso c++ headers"
GCC no longer includes these header files. Pre-standardized C++ headers used the .h extension, which makes their usage confusing (<string.h> is for C, while <string> is for C++ and introduced with the STL; <iostream.h> is pre-ISO C++, SC++L equivalent is <iostream>). It depends on the compiler, but the .h versions are not guaranteed to exist or be compatible with the old pre-ISO headers.

I was invoking through gcc rather than g++, so although it recognised the code as c++, it linked it as if it were C or something, so didn't understand "delete"
Global operator delete is part of libstdc++. libstdc++ is automatically linked by g++, but not gcc.

world.cpp: At global scope:
world.cpp:814: error: prototype for âint ARegion::CanBeStartingCity(ARegionArray*)â does not match any in class âARegionâ
../aregion.h:211: error: candidate is: int ARegion::CanBeStartingCity(int*)
Either the declaration of CanBeStartingCity has an incorrect parameter type (pointer to int), or ARegionArray is not defined before ARegion. Insert class ARegionArray; at the top of aregion.h to forward declare it.

I'm still clueless about this game, but I did find some maybe helpful info using Google.
- The tarball download links in your first post are very old. Latest 4.1.0 release. v5 is trunk, but the developer list indicated it was an abandoned (unworking) work-in-progress.
- Is Arcadia a web-based Java applet version of Atlantis? I don't have the JVM installed to try it.
- At least one instance of this game is still online, with 87 players currently.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 02:58:04 am »

I'll try that fix in the morning...I figured it myself..

I have no idea what Arcadia is.
I found that later release later, but I don't know how much better it is, and it was after Qwerty helped me get this to compile.

There is that one game, but I think a game with just Bay12'ers would be awesome.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:16 am »

4.0-4.0.4 is over 9 years old... 4.1.0 was released a little under 2 years ago. It should fix many of the compilation issues.

Changelog (huge): http://atlantis.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/atlantis/branches/PATCHES_410/CHANGELOG

I'm pretty sure Arcadia is Atlantis. But I can't run it to find out. May even be a few more like it if you search around a bit. BTW: Wikipedia Atlantis article.

lol, this really is not my type of game. Good luck getting it to work though.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:08 am »

Crap...I'll try it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:29 am »

Wow...it compiled perfectly...

except now it says "cannot open the game file!"

I created the correct objects like the tutorial says...hmmm..

I'll look at it in the morning. I'm sleepy.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »

I'll try that fix in the morning...I figured it myself..

I found that later release later, but I don't know how much better it is, and it was after Qwerty helped me get this to compile.

There is that one game, but I think a game with just Bay12'ers would be awesome.

Arcadia was a series of games based off a branch of Atlantis. The later versions had significant changes. After they finished, they released their source code somewhere, but as you can see, their site's gone.
Check out my books at O and H Books

iyhael

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:28 am »

Hello,

pure coincidence to have a look at the current development brought me to this forum, and I am happy to help You out.

Arcadia was a series of games based off a branch of Atlantis. The later versions had significant changes. After they finished, they released their source code somewhere, but as you can see, their site's gone.

Beeing the initiator, co-developers and co-gamemaster of the project I can shed a little light of what Arcadia was:

We ran four games (Arcadia, Gruehelm, Nylandor, Xanaxor) based on the Atlantis pbem framework, gaining some experience in setting up the server and playing around the rulesets. All of our games had pre-defined victory conditions with a background story (i.e. civil war, dragon plague), and our main developer even programmed a whole quest into Nylandor, and a adventure labyrinth, the One Eyed Labyrinth, into Xanaxor.

At the end, the Arcadia code was much more diverse than the Atlantis 5 main branch, and some of its features were even ported back into Atlantis 5.

Arcadia V core features were:

* new battle system
* heroes with many interesting attributes
* a much more interesting and diverse magic system
* quest/Labyrinth levels
* hex side terrain
* versatile game editor
* its own, modifed version of the Atlantis Little Helper Client program
* close ended game with game goals
* smaller map, viewer players (around 12-16)
* highly competitive enviroment (our players very very agressive)

The mailing list of our games can still be found at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadia-pbm/. I know that I have put up the sourcecode for public download somewhere, and certainly I have given the crew of atlantisdev a chance to put it up to their site. Right now, however, I can not find it in my files.

If You intend to start programming Your own Pbem, either by making Your own engine or by modifying one, seek help from some experienced GMs. Atlantis pbem games offer some downsides that can be addressed with some tweaks. I advise reading the atlantisdev mailing list thoroughly.

Cheers,

Piotr
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:38:07 am by iyhael »

Tom Droeshout

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

Hello guys,

If someone wants to experience a very similar game (not many atlantis games running atm), feel free to take a look at Olympia game 3.

The designers of Atlantis inspired themselves on the Olympia pbem.

A pbem means everything can be handled through email, so smartphone, netbook and tablet should do it.

The original developper of Olympia made it open source in 2009. As a contribution to the community a group of close friends is relaunching that old jewel.

It's open source which means it's free now.

It's a fantasy wargame with a lot of diplo possibilities. It's open ended, and the game is intended for 150-200 players.

The website and forum are available at :
http://olympia.v-labs.be/g3/

With regards,

Tom Droeshout
Belgium, Europe

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 03:34:30 pm »

Hmm, a necro--but one that's worth replying to I feel.

I've played several Atlantis variants, including Eressia, and have modified one into a quasi MUD that I ran for a group of friends with an (almost) Real-Time model rather than PBEM, though you could still play the game through e-mail as well as a normal MUD client.

I'm afraid I can't find the source at the moment, it's on one of my backup drives some place, but it wasn't especially well developed as it was just for myself and a small group of other enthusiasts/developers. I'd not really recommend us use it to be honest, as it was more than a little rough around the edges.

But the idea of playing a standard, or just slightly modified game with other B12ers really appeals. Is there any other interest in this? Ideally I'd rather not host, I'm not exceedingly reliable when it comes to things like this, and would feel better if occasionally I could miss a turn or two, safe in the knowledge my empire will carry on without me and it wont effect other people!

Tom Droeshout

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 10:50:54 am »

[once a necro, always a necro]

Eressea is a nice pbem that continues to attract players, even after all those years. It's an example.

Anyway, Game 3 is up and running (turn 4 atm). 153 players are active in the world and they are all like hungry vultures looking to each other, heh heh.

In case you have missed the start, feel free to join. You'll get the same benefits as the players who have started from turn 1.

Good luck.

http://olympia.v-labs.be/g3/

Tom Droeshout
Belgium, Europe
Pages: 1 2 [3]