Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange Mood Dwarf does not claim workshop  (Read 89849 times)

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood Dwarf does not claim workshop
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:44:14 am »

I've only had 1 dwarf go into a mood in my fortress so far, he ran into the gathering hall and stood around until he went insane.  Any possible legitimate causes for this?
laceholder Signature

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood Dwarf does not claim workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:25:52 am »

Probably didn't have the type of workshop he needed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:14 am »

Do you know which skills he had?  Are you using magma forges?  A little more background information would be supremely helpful.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:22:12 am »

Have to  agree with Lord_Phoenix...
this is the behavior strange mood dwarves show,
when there isnīt a workshop  of  the desired type in the fortress
(which is why usually as soon as I see a strange mood dwarf going to the  gathering area,
I will check up his skills and will build any workshop based on these skills, which isnīt already present in the fortress) 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:42 pm »

Also of note is that there's sometimes a little trouble in regards to magma/non-magma forges and glass furnaces.  Sometimes a moody dwarf will want one type, sometimes the other.

Not entirely sure if this has carried over to the new version, but it was present in the last one.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:19:02 am »

I've just run into something like this. My Planter has become possessed and isn't claiming any of my workshops. I've built one of every type of workshop (both magma and regular for the forge and glassmaker's) but he seems entirely uninterested in any of them. His only skills are planting, soap making and lye making, so I'm at a complete loss as to what he needs.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:03:42 am »

I've just run into something like this. My Planter has become possessed and isn't claiming any of my workshops. I've built one of every type of workshop (both magma and regular for the forge and glassmaker's) but he seems entirely uninterested in any of them. His only skills are planting, soap making and lye making, so I'm at a complete loss as to what he needs.
Craftsdorf's or Soap Maker's should be the stuff he needs, but make a kiln just in case.
Urist McPlanter has created Soapmagics, a legendary Lye!

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:11 am »

I had this, I created every workshop that the dwarf had skills, and he eventually went mad and started babbling.

Is it possible for dwarves to get strange moods in skills that they don't have now? I could swear that one of my un-skilled hauler dwarves claimed a craftdwarf's workshop with absolutely no skills from that workshop.

EDIT: Yep, he seems to be constructing something out of logs and cloth. His current skills are novice animal caretaker, dabbling grower and novice wood burner, then dabbling in all of the conversation skills.

EDIT2: And now he's a legendary wood crafter.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:07:09 am by Miggy »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:29:06 am »

I had this, I created every workshop that the dwarf had skills, and he eventually went mad and started babbling.

Is it possible for dwarves to get strange moods in skills that they don't have now? I could swear that one of my un-skilled hauler dwarves claimed a craftdwarf's workshop with absolutely no skills from that workshop.

EDIT: Yep, he seems to be constructing something out of logs and cloth. His current skills are novice animal caretaker, dabbling grower and novice wood burner, then dabbling in all of the conversation skills.

EDIT2: And now he's a legendary wood crafter.
If a dorf dosen't have a "moodable" skill - read as: skills that you use in a workshop - they pick a random crafts skill for their mood.

dapanman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

If you have dwarves with unmoodable skills, its usually a good idea to have them make one set of metal bolts, or a metal cap or whatever you most want them legendary as. I hate legendary woodcrafters, and always seem to get them when moodable-skill-less dwarves go moody.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »

Awww my best armorer got hit by a fey mood and will not budge from the meeting hall: what could be the cause?

I have at least a single specimen for every furnace/workshop, and especially I'm chock-full of forges (6 magma and 1 normal) so he should use one of them...

Any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, he went insane! Apparently it was a pathfinding error because I also had 20 idlers, all with labor activated which matched my orders - as soon as I breached the caverns (by accident), I had 0 idlers and the fey mood dwarf started running towards a magma forge but, alas, too late!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:41:08 pm by Golcondio »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 11:47:14 am »

I got a legendary Blacksmith by having a dwarf make one Iron Anvil. He made a ☼100,000 Iron Sarcophagus... He was the Bookkeeper.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »

I got a legendary Blacksmith by having a dwarf make one Iron Anvil. He made a ☼100,000 Iron Sarcophagus... He was the Bookkeeper.
And this is relevant to the topic (and the forum section) because...?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »

Pimped Coffins are awsome, go out in style my good dwarf!
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

Pimped Coffins are awsome, go out in style my good dwarf!
Well I guess this REALLY solves the issue does it? Why OMG why can't people stay on topic at least on bug issues?
Pages: [1] 2 3