Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10236 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:44 am »

...Or is it merely in abeyance?

In 40d, every dwarf had a megaproject going.

Then came April 1st, 2010.

DF 2010 was released.

The world changed.

And now... We barely cling to survival. We cower behind flimsy walls, drooling at great bounties of ore and... other stuff... while our inept militarys fumble to dress themselves and get anywhere. Word trickles in from every corner of the planes; outposts everywhere succumb to underground horrors, forgotten beasts, and even simple starvation as the very soil turns arid. Whispers of outposts that dig too deep abound, and the occasional hollow eyed adventurer fetches up in the inns...

So I ask. Has the Age of Megaprojects ended? Will it rise again?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:10:53 am by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:58:10 am »

Might want to give the newness a few days to cool off. Right now, the world's very core has quivered and disgourged new things. Takes a few days for us dorfs to get our footing again when the earth *moves* after all. :D

It also might take a few more bugs being fixed, too, before people are as concerned about building giant wooden horses and stone bunnies to house their dwarves.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:02:07 am »

I think everyone is still checking everything out and what necessary precautions must be taken so that they can give themselves a solid foundation for their 80-z-level steel obelisk thanks to the newfound abundance of metals.

I certainly have plans, going to wait at least for the return of a Dwarf Therapist-type utility and basic bug fixes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:02:56 am »

Once we find an effective method to take care of every military problem ever known, such as the 40d magma chamber, repeater spear traps or cat bone bolts, we shall continue with the most mega of mega projects.

Enjoy the age of danger, it only lasts so long!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:17:43 am »

It should be fine. Only problem might be getting the correct color materials for building, as well as getting magma operations up.

There's also stability issues and pathfinding problems that would make most megaprojects difficult. I'm also with Fetus4188 on this one, I need some delicious DT before even bothering with job designations.

Actually, I'm spending a lot more time messing with the raws and messing in the arena than doing fortress mode.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:41 am »

We certainly need mega-projects that take advantage of the new capabilities. Esp. the Z-levels.

I demand a tower of babel.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:04:52 am »

It's been three days.   Chill out.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:14 am »

We certainly need mega-projects that take advantage of the new capabilities. Esp. the Z-levels.

I demand a tower of babel.

One fish shaped tower coming right up!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:18:16 am »

Why over? If you would want to build a big structure you could always ignore the underground. Besides, making such big projects is kind of annoying without a proper dwarf manager.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:21 am »

Don't be silly.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:38:48 am »

I would say it's only just begun.

Or if not begun, it has changed.

I was frankly amazed how much metals and gems there are now down there, and I for one think it's absolutely great.

I personally had trouble with the last version and the fact that veins were somewhat rare. You had to really look for them, and maybe you would get lucky. Maybe you hit a few copper veins, then gold veins. Great, now you could train a peasant first with the copper, then with the gold when they're experienced enough to know what they're doing!

Now everywhere I look, there's metal. Gold, platinum, galena, silver, iron. And gems. Oh god the gems.

Truly this is the age of dorfs.

And once Toady gets the worst bugs out of the way, I can really start with this thing. Aboveground forts and towers, full of deadly captured UG creatures, behind pressure-plate operated doors, just to guard that one awesome adamantine statue of a dorf striking down a dorf and laughing, related to the tantrum spiral of 1058?

Oh yes. I'm going to like this version.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 07:08:41 am »

I kind of wonder if the superabundance of gems and metals is a bug.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:42:16 am »

I think mega projects will be even easier now, since dwarves will no longer get distracted by their bodily needs as much. Miners will keep mining, masons will keep building, smiths will keep smithing etc.

And if a few dozen hundred thousand million dwarves "accidentally" work themselves to death, so be it.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:47:13 am »

"The Age of Megaprojects" = "The Eon between the previous release and this one."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:51:14 am »

I think the only problem right now is the bugs. Oh lord, the bugs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6