Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10234 times)

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:55:27 am »

I think, megaproject is something to entertain yourself if there is no other fun things in game left. When people will get bored with this version too, they'll start to do them again.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 08:05:18 am »

I think the only problem right now is the bugs. Oh lord, the bugs.

hey, the bugs are awesome. My poor blacksmith went through an entire stack of dwarven wine roasts because they kept melting in his hands (into dwarven wine puddles) as he went to go eat them

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

We'll see megaprojects resume once the construction pathing problems are fixed, I assume.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:32:21 am »

I have so far attempted two megaprojects, and both have been crippled by pathfinding and construction issues...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:23 am »

First, we must deal with the bugs.  Immortals are the ones I most loathe, but there are others that would slow the construction of a megaproject as well.
Then, we must prepare schemes to deal with the new forms of fun; Forgotten Beasts, Animalman tribes, the new subterranean ecosystem and... other things.
Considering how many Z levels we have to work with, the massive increase in metal ores and gems, and the hollow caverns we have to put things in, there's gonna be some epic things occurring.  The main reason so many people are being obliterated right now is that when the average dwarf fortress player hears there are new forms of fun lurking in the depths, their first reaction is "let's check it out."  And the new fun is very, very fun indeed.  Once people figure out what they can handle, what they can't handle, and what's not worth handling, and the initial release bugs are dealt with, megaprojects will be back on the to-do list.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:11:04 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 11:19:45 am »

Yep, once the pathfinding and slowness of things get sorted out a bit more, we will see some pretty epic structures. I can't wait to see multiple hundred z layer towers. The general direction of this version seems to be down, so I would imagine we will finally see large numbers of dwarven cities which actually look like dwarven cities (Orzimmar, Ironforge, Moria, ect). It is hard to make epic underground cities without pre-existing caverns, and we now have those (and according to some of the threads I have read, pretty huge caverns at that).

And of course there is the abundance of minerals allowing for constructions of any color to be built by even small settlements.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 11:38:19 am »

I demand a tower of babel.

Did someone call?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I refuse to abandon my current megaproject. Even if future releases make the world even more unfriendly to mad building projects, the Age of Megaprojects will not die so long as one dwarf is still willing to play outdated versions.

I actually considered abandoning, but I was rather dismayed at the list of known issues.

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o HOLY ZOMBIE CARP, BATMAN! It's the Dwarven Space Needle (TM)!

What does it do?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:58:02 am by Pheonix »
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 12:12:59 pm »

I just had an idea for a megaproject:

Build a huge statue of a dwarf out of any material (whatever you think would look best/be funniest), with a huge and clearly visible face with eyes or a mouth that can be entered and exited. Make a space that runs down from the mouth/eyes to one of the feet. Then, dig a shaft connected to the foot-hole all the way down to the circus. Breach the circus, but be ready to seal yourselves away from both the circus and the surface world. Then, live underground for as long as possible, with the only sign of dwarven civilization above-ground being a huge statue of a dwarf with demons flying out of its face.

;D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

Might want to give the newness a few days to cool off. Right now, the world's very core has quivered and disgourged new things. Takes a few days for us dorfs to get our footing again when the earth *moves* after all. :D

Damn tha world, lad! Ish gonna take more than thot for THISH dorf ta lose his footin'!

I'm gonna build a 80 z tall upside down pyramid, and the balancing point at the bottom will consist of the tomb of the dwarven God-King, holding it aloft! Strike the Earth!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »

the only sign of dwarven civilization above-ground being a huge statue of a dwarf with demons flying out of its face.

That's awesome.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 12:30:30 pm »

Down with megaprojects, up with danger I say!

This game is about SURVIVAL.  Seven dwarves vs the wild, gigantic monsters, and the underworld's teeming swarms.  When this game is closer to finish, the only megaprojects you'll be making are simple irrigation projects needed to prevent your dwarfs from starving horribly over the next three months, and maybe a large sewage pit with lava so they don't all drown in their own effluences.

I don't like it when people think of this game as a digital Lego set, and see everything that gets in the way of building a ludicrously huge structure with a dedicated workforce of 50 people as a step in the wrong direction.  Go play infiniminer, I say!  This game is for sim fans looking for a challenge!

I pray for the day when cave-ins are reimplemented, and structural integrity is introduced into structures.  Then it will take you 300 years not 30 years, to build that gigantic bridge from one mountain peak to the other.  Imagine the resounding screed on the forum when that happens.  "I dont liiiiike this!  I can't build a giant giraffe structure from yellow glass that poops magma when I engage the windmills!  The game is no fun anymore!!" 

Any while you're posting that, a massive army of rhino-riding humans and their goblin thralls will come and bulldoze your sad little monuments to the ground before enslaving the entire fort, an event that will be commemorated forever in every fifth engraving your dwarves create, should you try to start a new fort in that world.

On that day you'll remember that losing is fun.

[OK, I'll stop trolling people now.   ;) ]

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 12:33:55 pm »

Until I can find magma, which I've tried to find by digging down on several forts and ended up digging for over 100 z levels and giving up.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »

We certainly need mega-projects that take advantage of the new capabilities. Esp. the Z-levels.

Organizing a tower-building competition in early May. Be there, punk.

But yeah. Megaprojects in general have been delayed but like hell they're past their prime. If anyone wants to challenge me on this I am going to have to personally prove them wrong >:O There are far too many things you can do with burrows, more resources, and effectively unlimited height.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

Organizing a tower-building competition in early May. Be there, punk.

Sounds fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6