Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10235 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »

well I already built an entire city out of wood, hanging from stalactites and stalagmites, so I'd say that even more mega-project opportunities have opened up.  of course it was underground wood, which the multiple colors killed my eyes, so I light it on fire.
Nom nom nom

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »

Hell no! I've pretty much got hospitals covered, farm plots are easy to wet (channel+pump), I've learned not to dig too deep too early... My only problem right now is the military screen, which I'm gradually getting to grasps with.

Give it a week, I say. The wiki should have everybody up to date and back to colossal constructions supported by a staircase.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »

the only sign of dwarven civilization above-ground being a huge statue of a dwarf with demons flying out of its face.

That's awesome.

Addition: bonus points if you make it vomit lava, with demons still flying out of its eyes.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 04:38:41 pm »

My only problem right now is the military screen, which I'm gradually getting to grasps with.

Bugs aside I've figured the screen out.  I just haven't found a way to actually make them do anything useful.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 05:41:50 pm »

My only problem right now is the military screen, which I'm gradually getting to grasps with.

Bugs aside I've figured the screen out.  I just haven't found a way to actually make them do anything useful.

I'm happy just to sit back and watch them do their monthly switching around. Training, patrolling, guarding Burrows, etc.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »

I'm happy just to sit back and watch them do their monthly switching around. Training, patrolling, guarding Burrows, etc.

Ah, but do they have real weapons equipped?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »

One of my dwarfs was duall wielding training swords. Another did the same thing, while holding both swords in the same hand and a shield in the other. Yes I've got a tripple wielding dwarf. I'd say they know how to equip weapons. Just didn't get them to train properly, but that's probably because I told them to equip in full iron armour while I don't have enough sets for everyone. Also, my militia commander has low leading skills and no organising skills whatsoever, so they just stand around waiting for training most of the time
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:31:20 pm by Virex »

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:33 pm »

I feel as though dwarven history is progressing with every new release. The dwarves are discovering things... and they have to work out the mistakes bit by bit. The dwarves issue forth from the mind of Toady, ever venturing towards perfection...

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 08:06:27 pm »

I'm waiting on Dwarf Therapist before I'll be able to make a serious effort at a Megaproject.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

I made a nice little tower as a proof of concept.
I'm just waiting for a 0.31 visualizer so I can show it off.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »

I'm just waiting for a 0.31 visualizer so I can show it off.

Yeah, that'll be a likely megaproject delay too. We're getting so reliant on these things... oh, technology :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »

I feel as though dwarven history is progressing with every new release. The dwarves are discovering things... and they have to work out the mistakes bit by bit. The dwarves issue forth from the mind of Toady, ever venturing towards perfection...

Wow. Mind = Blown.

It really is like the advancement of science. Dwarven Science keeps discovering things, and they get workable theories up, but they have exceptions and wormholes and such. And then a new release is out, and it's a paradigm shift. Suddenly a lot of stuff we thought we had a handle on is much different than it was (like astronomy IRL), some of it we realize just how little we do know (quantum physics for us), and some stuff is just brand spanking new (advent of electricty, nuclear power, etc)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12:15 am »

Well, a few days ago (April 2 to be precise), I suddenly decided I wanted to play DF again and give my megaprojects another go.  And lo do I find a new version!  So I'm playing around with it a bit (did a little modding), and getting my regular fortress (got a spot with aquafer+stream on one side, solid rock on the other, and freezing in winter) structure up and running (must make my obsidian factory and start the magma works going).  Once that's settled in, I will be creating two super-structures.

The first will be a giant skull overlooking my fortress, jutting out from the mountainside.  I haven't decided yet what it will be made of.; been considering obsidian or ice (if it still doesn't melt once made into blocks) mostly.  The inside will be hollowed out, the eye sockets made of Crystal Glass, or gemstone windows.  The mouth will have a drawbridge (will require some testing).  The drawbridge will be closed while I fill the skull, or if I need to perform any maintenance.  The skull will, of course, be filled with magma.  Normal conditions will have the mouth open, pouring magma out over the (covered) entrance to my fortress, and down into my moat.   I'm considering making the cover over the entrance a drawbridge, so that if need, I can pull it back to drop magma on invaders.

My second megaproject will be of a similar idea and construction (hollowed out fiery death):

The atomic boozebomb.  A 40 wide cylinder supported by a single retractable column (or some other method for creating a cave-in), tapered at the ends and sporting a tailcone on top, all constructed, again either obsidian or ice, or maybe glass.  The body will have floors of booze stockpiles, while the tailcone contains, you guessed it, magma.  I'll probably put up a walled path/road/funnel outside my fort so that in order to approach, you have to pass by/under this thing.  And someday, I will pull that lever and see how much of the mountainside I can devastate (and if I can melt my stream in winter).  ;D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

Bored at work,* so I've decided to build a giant -ing bridge over a river (its a brook, sadly) in some mountains.

I'm only going to be working on it at work, lets see how long it takes...

(Also: I embarked with a dwarf who had skill ranks in Marksdwarf, Teaching, and Armor Using.  Hopefully that'll jumpstart my archery academy)

*My job right now is to convince my boss that I am not building Adobe Acrobat Pro, from the ground up, in Flash.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:45 am »

Now I have an urge to name the ages of DF history. Like:
1) Age of the Toad
2) Age of Development
3) Age of Survival
4) Age of Three Dimensions
5) Age of Megaprojects
6) Second Age of Survival (the current one)
7) ...
8) Age of PROFIT!

Feel free to make corrections, that was just a rough sketch of an idea :)
EDIT: damn, how do you make your punctuation not turn into smileys?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:31:40 am by Murphy »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6