Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10233 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »

I just want to point out that hauling magma all the way up to the surface IS now almost a megaproject in itself.

It is. I got lucky and only had to pump it up 42 levels on my current embark. Thinking about it, I wonder if it made any practical sense to do so in terms of labor/time saved versus using charcoal.

Hahahaha!

My megaprojects (two of them) are the same, but I have two maps in two locations on two computers (I get bored at work):

Giant ass bridge over a canyon (and those are hard to find!  Rivers sometimes exist on a small plateu around lower elevation areas, and finding a 2x4 sized embark with decent cliffs* is not easy).  The home fort is going to have a bridge that is probably 50% longer and 33% higher off the valley floor.  Gonna take a lot of blocks!

*Especially when not using Embark Anywhere.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 02:39:08 am »

I heard rumor Embark Anywhere still worked somehow.  Sorcery, maybe.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2010, 08:32:49 am »

I heard rumor Embark Anywhere still worked somehow.  Sorcery, maybe.

Haven't tried it, but having access to wood is not worth giving up.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2010, 09:21:38 am »

Wow.  I'd never seen Undergrotto before, and it is incredibly, unbelievably badass.

That said--the caverns lend themselves well to awesome things that mold themselves to the existing, naturally-provided landscapes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:10 am »

With the new version I can finally bring a decent version of DeepGate to life!  Probably take me forever and a half to make....but oh well...worth it.  So yeah, I think the new version just gave me more ideas for mega-projects

Note:  For the curious read the Deepgate Codex by Alan Campbell.  Or just envision a GIANT pit with a city suspended inside by chains. 

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2010, 12:53:13 pm »

I just made a 50 z level drop with weapons traps on the bottom of the drop containing masterwork serrated steel blades and masterwork mechs.

I proceded to push several goblins and one half dead hydra down the chute and the gore/body parts that resulted were amazing  ;D
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:14 pm »

I'm just trying to keep my dwarves alive...

Moment I figure out a sure fire method of permanently offing Forgotten beasts and such. I will be making a project to SWITCH the water and magma layers :3
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »

I think megaprojects are what people do once they have a handle on the gameplay. So we'll see them come back. But I think the new abundance of resources will make such projects much easier, especially the ones made from rare materials like platinum blocks or diamond windows.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 04:48:08 pm »

I think megaprojects are what people do once they have a handle on the gameplay. So we'll see them come back. But I think the new abundance of resources will make such projects much easier, especially the ones made from rare materials like platinum blocks or diamond windows.

Which is why the Age of Megaprojects is over, ushered in by the Age of Survival.*  Later will be the Second Age of Megaprojects.

*I suppose I could also call it the Age of Wiki Reorganization.  Have you seen the new templates they've added?  There's a "quality" tag now too, incomplete, unverified, or red link articles are "elvish," then get upgraded to "human," and then finally (when all info is verified and no links lead out to anything less than 'human' quality) it gets upgraded to "dwarven."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:49:40 pm by Draco18s »

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »

I've taken to build my fortresses hanging over huge underground lakes, clinging to the stalactites and a confusing network of precarious pathways connecting them.  Much more can certainly be done with underground lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]