Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Periodic Lockups  (Read 6669 times)

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Periodic Lockups
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 02:18:19 am »

I do indeed.
I'll just put my specs in my signature for the time being.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:17:41 pm »

Well, imagine that.

After upgrading to windows 7 64-bit with the exact same hardware and the exact same saved game it's no longer hanging on save or load.

EDIT: It seems I spoke to soon. It's started up again. I wonder what could be causing it that it didn't do it the first few times.

EDIT2: Wait, I just realized what the difference was.

EDIT3: Nevermind, didn't help.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:59:02 pm by Kishmond »

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 01:40:25 am »

I can confirm that I am having these lockups in .03 version. Might be the mayday pack, because that's the only common denominator I see.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 04:20:57 pm »

I've had the same thing, mayday pack and I found one other factor :) It happens EVERY time it starts freezing / thawing! In my fort that's twice per change (once when parts near rocks freeze, once more when everything except stuff inside freezes, and then the other way round around spring).

Only temporary lockups I've had!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:59 pm »

Definitely seeing this with changes in weather. Looks like as soon as the river unthaws it needs to do some calculations, then it resumes.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

I also had this problem (and have a 64bit OS).  I fixed it by removing my well.  Strange, but it worked.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 12:35:17 am »

Ditto on the random lockups.   Core i7 920, 6GB ram, Intel solid state hard drive, Radeon HD 4890, and Windows 7 x64.  The way the CPU usage is and other behavior makes me think that there are some near deadlocks occurring.  Might try to run the game with the affinity set to a single core to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT:  Set the dwarfort.exe process to a single core affinity.  These lockups seem to have all the symptoms of deadlocks:  Programs slows down, but CPU usage also drops.  Wasn't as easy to track before since Windows will try to have threads do work on as many processors.  I don't get lockups as much as massive slowdowns:  Dropping from 100 to 32 then back.  And this is on a new game with a 4x4 embark.  So, multi-core systems might be at a disadvantage for this game.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:12:42 am by BubbaBrown »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 06:26:27 pm »

So, multi-core systems might be at a disadvantage for this game.
Well, that was a huge generality that's entirely untrue.

Seriously.  Just because you're having trouble does not mean everybody with one equal variable does too.
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, i7-860 OC @ 4.00 GHz (x4) here, constant 100 fps on a 4x4 embark for at least 3 years.
No Mayday pack, no seasonal autosave.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 08:00:20 pm »

Well, that was a huge generality that's entirely untrue.

Seriously.  Just because you're having trouble does not mean everybody with one equal variable does too.
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, i7-860 OC @ 4.00 GHz (x4) here, constant 100 fps on a 4x4 embark for at least 3 years.
No Mayday pack, no seasonal autosave.

I did say, "might be".  It was based off the observation of strange behaviors that are similar, symptomatically, to issues I run into when debugging multi-threaded, multi-process, or cluster distributed applications.  There are many applications that are threaded, but have issues with Windows dividing up the processing across other processing units.  This is because they weren't designed to handle asymmetric processing issues that arise out this.  There's a big difference between work being done concurrently and consecutively.  Also, I noticed a significant reduction of complete freeze ups that trip Windows's detection of hung processes and saw far more slow-downs and bog-downs instead.

All I did to cause this change was to assign the dwarfort.exe affinity to a single idle core.  This also allowed me to watch a rollercoaster effect when it comes to CPU usage that coincided with bog downs.  Game bogged down, but CPU usage dropped.  Beforehand, many of the these would have become complete freezes.

The visibility of these issues can also vary because of the "race condition" that sometimes causes them.  You may not being seeing anything obvious, because of the speed your computer is presently running at.  The race condition, presently, is being won in your favor because the game is processing things in a correct enough order to avoid any issues.  You might experience completely different behaviors if there were other tasks running on the system hogging up resources enough to upset the tricky balance and order.  This is one of the bigger pains in parallel processing:  Glitch reproduction across dissimilar platforms.

So...   I am making a generalization, technically, but it is made with considerable consideration making use of specific experiences and specialized education.  Again, it is made without being able to see the source code and practices in use.  And the statement was meant to be a suggestion for the basis of exploration into possible causes for an issue rather than a direct implication of the cause for an issue. 

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 05:02:35 am »

IIRC DF is not dual-quad-multi-core compatible yet. it still thinks there is exactly one core. And refuses to believe otherwise.

In other more related news, I believe I have also suffered this issue on a fortress on a 6x6. Almost every ten minutes it'd freeze up, I figure something to do with pathfinding or some underground creatures(Had peirced underground 1)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

manbeef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »

So I've just confirmed that removing the well stops the lockup problem for me.  Basically the game becomes unplayable once I reach a certain size of fortress, and I guess it makes sense that that point is when I build a well.  If other people are having this problem, try removing your well.  The second that it is deconstructed the lag stops for me.  Then try to rebuild it.  As soon as it was finished building the lockups returned.  I'm running Win 7 64-bit/Mayday.
Pages: 1 [2]