Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] - Errors in Compressed Files on Disk  (Read 5637 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] - Errors in Compressed Files on Disk
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »

Just tried to load my game after saving it normally (no crashes while saving or anything) and I get the error:

"One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Please restore from backup if you are able."

Now, I haven't got any backups (will set autobackup on in future) so any ideas what I could do to fix this or why it occurred in the first place. I'm posting this in bug reports because as far as I know I didn't do anything different to normal.

The tasks in progress when I saved were mainly just normal stuff. The only issue that could be a problem is that I had about 5
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in the caverns under me walled off for lack of a functioning military.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] - Errors in Compressed Files on Disk
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:58 am »

Just tried to load my game after saving it normally (no crashes while saving or anything) and I get the error:

"One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Please restore from backup if you are able."...

What OS are you running on?  If it's Windows 7, there's a known bug with file locking that reports corruption where there isn't any (W7 can mistakenly report a file as corrupt rather than busy).  Try loading again; you may also want to experiment with turning off indexing, and temporarily disabling your anti-virus while loading.

ruanna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »

Hrmm, same problem. First game it gave me the error after saving it normally. It was my first fortress anyway so I decided to restart. Now the second game is crashing and giving me this error.

It crashes at approx late summer in my third year (several times) and I'm not sure if it is the time of year or something I do at that time that causes it. The first few times it crashed the file was fine and I loaded it and redid all the stuff I did before. Now the save is borked and I tried loading from the beginning of summer - ran fine until late summer and crashed again. Now I'm running it again but not doing some of the tasks I set up the previous time... Hopefully it won't crash again. I'm not sure what else to do.

Don't think it's the caverns like the OP, I've got NO CAVERNS yet, still digging and looking for the top one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm running vista, btw.

ruanna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »

another silly thing, um I know people keep saying to load from backup, and I do have autobackup enabled - but where are the backup files? I have seasonal saves and a main save, does autobackup mean it just saves an extra file each season or that I have a possibly non corrupted main save file somewhere? And if i do, how exactly do i load from that? I'm a bit nervous about randomly copypasting stuff, uh.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:33:57 am »

autobackup backs up the autosaves. So your seasonal save is your backup.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:29 am »

You could always have bad hardware. If your hardware is bad then files will be corrupted.

Try testing your memory with MemTest86. You can download a bootable copy from http://www.memtest.org/

If you find errors with your memory your memory is likely faulty and will need replacement with an RMA.

Hesa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:28:38 pm »

I'm facing the same problem.  However, my issue cropped up after deleting all the files for the most recent DF.

I read elsewhere on the forums that 40d is recommended over the current version.  So, I downloaded 40d, unzipped to my desktop (which was the location of the other DF version) and told it to overwrite all.  When I tried to boot it up, it prompts me for full screen or windowed.  After input, I am given the error message "One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it.  Restore from backup if you are able."

Any ideas?

Edit: Fixed.  I made a new folder in Documents and unzipped all of the files into that.  Works like a charm so far!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:39:41 pm by Hesa »