Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 46675 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:09 am »

lag, lag, and more lag.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:14 am »

Channeling produces ramps.

Sending a memo to the military asking them to re-prioritize time allocation schedules to account for the recent increase in local goblin activity.  They did reprioritize their time, actually, but then they all realized they were thirsty and hungry and went to drink as soon as their training (watching the squad commander spar with himself) session ended.

Somehow I embarked with 5 male dogs and so my puppy industry is way behind schedule.

Dwarves work instead of eat/drink/sleep and then get unhappy thoughts from it.  Seriously, the fortress produces all that alcohol for a reason, you are allowed to drink some. 

My military seems to get constant unhappy thoughts from being deactivated and also from being on continuous duty too long.  Not sure how I got both of those to happen at the same time but I'm doing clearly doing the new features wrong. 

No fish anywhere.  I embarked with a bunch of cave lobsters for just such an occasion but I guess they all got cooked or something and I couldn't find any shells.  On the other hand, with the upgraded migrants I can get a new farmer easily enough. 

...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Stormcrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:07 am »

Perhaps unpopularly, the vastly increased wealth and waves of uberskilled migrants. So much gold, silver, coal, metal, and magma that you can't help but trip over it. Some people are finding adamantium on the surface. Doesn't feel right. No reward for diligence or for carefully picking an embark zone. First wave of immigrants within 3 months of reaching the campsite, and they're incredibly skilled. Ugh.

Both things completely ruin suspension of disbelief for me. Unless I can fix some of this by changing the text files (or they are, in fact, unintentional), I suspect I'll be staying with 40d.
Quote from: Max White
When it crashes the game, its a bug. When it causes mass homocide, its a feature.

Wylker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2010, 09:23:17 am »

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but a lot of the overwhelming negativity in this thread is why Toady has been notoriously slow in releasing updates to DF. He likes to have a finished, polished product and everyone has imo gotten spoiled to death with how good of a game DF is (in alpha). I really hope all the complainers and *omg this version sucks* whiners don't cause Toady to go back to only releasing updates when the game is nearly bug free.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:43 am »

So is it true that caravans don't come with wagons anymore? Because like retro I spent ages building a nice road to the edge... =(

I think that's a bug, as they're still in the game.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:35 am »

I'm pretty sure the long delay here was because Toady wanted to cram in as many things that would break savegames as possible, and leave the incremental fixes and non-save-breaking stuff for afterward.

But it can't be nice to have thigns that were kind of worked on as big features to be seen as liabilities, it's true.

The things that are frustrating me are bugs; some of the other issues can be fixed with a little tuning, too.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:11 am »

The biggest frustration for me is the cleaning bug. I've managed to keep a fort going for several years, and the magical replicating blood and sand that is expanding around my fort is destroying everything - the dwarves and animals get dirty, and OH GOD MUST GO AND CLEAN MYSELF unfortunately, they will only use rivers and ponds - wells are just not good enough to get water to wash up with, you absolutely NEED fresh mountain streams for that. Anytime I open my defences I get a 30 second hangup as every single creature in my fort, who had been sitting there dying of hunger and thirst because OH GOD NO I'M DIRTY suddenly makes a run for the nearest muddy pond. Pathfinding is annoying and always has needed to be fixed, but this is just..... AAAAAAAARGH!

The best thing about it though? the best thing is that they don't actually clean themselves, the sand and blood smears are just dumped by the waterside like a dumped item, ready and waiting to coat the next animal or dwarf who tries to wash up. Most of my fort and a lot of the map is coated with the same eight or so blood smears and pile of sand, over and over.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2010, 10:33:46 am »

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but a lot of the overwhelming negativity in this thread is why Toady has been notoriously slow in releasing updates to DF. He likes to have a finished, polished product and everyone has imo gotten spoiled to death with how good of a game DF is (in alpha). I really hope all the complainers and *omg this version sucks* whiners don't cause Toady to go back to only releasing updates when the game is nearly bug free.

No one is saying this version sucks, people are pointing out problems. Do you have any idea how hard it is to develop a game without feedback? Being a rabid fanboy and praising a terribly buggy release (And Toady knows it's buggy as hell, this isn't an insult but a fact - everyones happy that he released the buggy one for people to play around with) is more damaging than offering criticism.

Regardless of the above the fanbase shouldn't be ignored, the threads generally generate some quickfixes, a thread last night mentioned that locking and unlocking a door will cause the dwarves to recalculate pathfinding - beats reloading. It also goes some length to helping figure out WHAT the problem is.

Wylker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:51 am »

No one is saying this version sucks, people are pointing out problems. Do you have any idea how hard it is to develop a game without feedback? Being a rabid fanboy and praising a terribly buggy release (And Toady knows it's buggy as hell, this isn't an insult but a fact - everyones happy that he released the buggy one for people to play around with) is more damaging than offering criticism.

Regardless of the above the fanbase shouldn't be ignored, the threads generally generate some quickfixes, a thread last night mentioned that locking and unlocking a door will cause the dwarves to recalculate pathfinding - beats reloading. It also goes some length to helping figure out WHAT the problem is.

actually, if you read the thread, you'll see several people just complaining, not reporting bugs. you obviously can tell the difference though right? if what I'm saying doesn't apply to you then you can probably just let it go.

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2010, 11:49:34 am »

Nothing wrong with letting people whine for a bit. Most of the bugs and problems I've seen in this thread are indeed already reported, so yea, it is a whine thread. As long as it stays civil, personally, I wouldn't see a problem with a whine thread. Venting sometimes helps ;)

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52:29 am »

My biggest frustration is my dwarves not hauling food, it was all just laying there on the side of the mountain.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:57 pm »

I'll complain more about crashes that eat my fort than any gameplay oddities, personally. Apparently, the game didn't like me poking through my stocks list...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25:09 pm »

My biggest complaint, and one I haven't seen listed here yet, is the bug preventing bedroom use.  You can assign rooms but they'll always just sleep in the closest bed.  Maybe I'm crazy but a good chunk of the fun I have in DF is having a low pop-cap and just spoiling the hell out of a handfull of dwarves.  Personal palaces and solid platinum furniture for everyone! 

Oh and the broken military, combat, pathfinding, wagons/trade systems.

But overall this version has laid the foundations of some amazing and wonderful new features.  Everyone complaining has to remember that for the last year or so toady has been working on this version, this isn't his usual pattern.  It's usually a release every few weeks/month that include mostly bug fixes.  I'm expecting the same to be happening soon, which is nice because there hasn't been a gap in releases like this since the switch to 3d/z levels (which if everyone remembers was also horribly buggy and took a few months to be ironed out to a stable-playable level).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »

Somehow I embarked chose to embark with 5 male dogs and so my puppy industry is way behind schedule.

Fixed that for you.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

Sending a memo to the military asking them to re-prioritize time allocation schedules to account for the recent increase in local goblin activity.  They did reprioritize their time, actually, but then they all realized they were thirsty and hungry and went to drink as soon as their training (watching the squad commander spar with himself) session ended.

This is a more general case of the new behavior, which is basically "dwarves act like programmers".  When they're "in the zone" doing something, they tend to put off self-maintainence until they reach a stopping point, and then catch up on bodily needs before starting another task.  This leads to fewer interrupted tasks in the long run, and makes sense in-universe (dwarves are frequently depicted as being a bit monomaniacal), but does mean that they're a little less responsive to sudden "orders from beyond" rearranging their lives. 

Once a fort has a regular military, with multiple squads in rotation, this shouldn't be a problem; finding the best way to handle it at the very beginning is still a bit of a question. 

Somehow I embarked with 5 male dogs and so my puppy industry is way behind schedule.

Male and female critters are normally listed as such on the embark screen; if you just selected 5 of the first dog entry without reading, you'll get all males.  Given that you can now explicitly start off with exactly the mix of male and female dogs, horses, etc. that you want, complaints on this seem a bit odd. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21