Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 46374 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »

The map has too many levels.
You can tone that down in worldgen.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:10 pm »

1) Military being generally broken (having an attack order is nice though)

2) Caverns with steeply sloped floors making it impossible to follow fights (this is where the 2D ASCII  interface really suffers unfortunately, is there a worldgen setting to make flatter caves?)

3) Tediousness of digging or constructing long staircases

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2010, 04:45:11 pm »

Adventure mode indicates that the non-dying is not as much of a problem with swords, at least metal ones.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »

Soap is broken. Firstly you need to use manager to make; secondly lye is a bit messed up, hard to get it into barrels; and thirdly when you finally make it the dorfs just leave it there, and don't bother taking it to the hospital.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:58 pm »

Soap is broken. Firstly you need to use manager to make; secondly lye is a bit messed up, hard to get it into barrels; and thirdly when you finally make it the dorfs just leave it there, and don't bother taking it to the hospital.
For the first one, if you have both lye in a barrel and tallow, you can make it like anything else.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

I think if the soap is now classed as a glob rather than a bar, surely the best course of action would be to place it in a barrel?

I must also express my great dissapointment at this change, as the fact that you could effectively build a mountain grotto out of soap was enough to get me interested in this game.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »

My Surgeon just stands over the patient but won`t operate. Meh.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:41 pm »

Unrotting vermin remains sucks.

I haven't read through all the pages on this topic, so pardon me if someone else has already pointed this out.

There is a way to make the unrotting vermin things a bit less annoying.  I went to (o)rders --> (r)efuse and told it to dump "Skulls" and "Other."  Now all my vermin remains go to my garbage dump and can be atom smashed away.
At last, she is done.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »

RE: soap - the soap-making order, like rendering fat in a kitchen, does not always show up promptly even if you do have the materials sitting right beside the relevant workshops.

If you do change the soap reaction to produce bars, the dwarves will move it around, but they AND THEIR PETS will start spamming "cancels Clean self: Cannot reach site" and never dealing with it as soon as they get a contaminant. One time I had a cat doing that for a while, it seemed to stop(I think the cat got rained on) - and then 8 more things started doing it.

My personal worst so far:

Hot embark site. Nice flat land. Joyous Wilds. I dug down, found aquifer when I thought I was safely off that tile, dug over, dug down a bit more, broke into a cavern, had a little red c send my dwarves flailing as it ran up past them, out the ramp, and off the map. Walled up the immediate vicinity in the cavern, started farms and such, was just generally setting in. Got a promising migrant wave.

And then they ALL STARTED MELTING.

This wasn't even a scorching climate. Just  "Hot." Most of the migrants and pretty much all of my animals died.

Having things go wrong, like the pathing issues and the nonfunctioning surgery, is merely irritating. Having my dwarves struck down by the fist of God eliminates any point in even playing. If I want to play a gambling game, I'm sure there are tons of poker sites that will happily oblige me.

So yeah. Biggest frustration: Spontaneous dwarven combustionliquefaction.

The new version has a lot of promise, and I'm not sure I want to go back to the old one; but things like that just... leach all the fun out of it.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »

I went to reclaim did a play now and not a single dwarf had a military skill. It is kinda hard to reclaim a fort lost to a mated couple of legendary cyclops when no one has military experience.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »

I've been having problems with medicine in general. A doctor did perform surgery on a dwarf with a double compound fracture on his finger (?!), but there was no healing despite at least a month or two of operation. The doctor was a proficient surgeon, too!

Also, non-surgery related, I have a trapper who got wounded two years ago; his few (yellow) wounds just require dressing, and so far they've been dressed (or at least skilled-enough dorfs have been dressing them) many times without any healing taking place.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:01 pm »

1) Military being generally broken

Actually the military is far from broken! It is simply a huge pain in the underground cavern to figure out. Currently the only big bugs are some tough-to-accidentally-do crashes and really, really over-eager soldiers.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »

Body disposal is giving me a headache. Grave(y)ard appears to only take whole dwarves and pets now, while anyone that gets a bit... separated in death needs to go in a (r)efuse pile.

Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »

Currently the only big bugs are some tough-to-accidentally-do crashes and really, really over-eager soldiers.
Stuck training orders, lack of exp gain from demonstrations, and lack of obvious way to do proper training/battle weaps switching.
I've learned the hard way that even if you drop 10 soldiers with training axes on single iron-armoured goblin, goblin will win.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:22 pm »

I've learned the hard way that even if you drop 10 soldiers with training axes on single iron-armoured goblin, goblin will win.

This is as it should be.  At least the training axes part.  Once the bugs are ironed out of the new military situation dorfs foolish enough to plow in and attack with toys should lose to an iron-wielding gobbo.
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21