Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 46646 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »

Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »

Currently the only big bugs are some tough-to-accidentally-do crashes and really, really over-eager soldiers.
Stuck training orders, lack of exp gain from demonstrations, and lack of obvious way to do proper training/battle weaps switching.

Sadly I actually learned about those shortly after reading this. There's a workaround for training (leave them on the Inactive alert and they'll train on their own), but yeah a lot's buggy.

Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.

If I had space in my signature... XD

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »

Thanks, Retro, but it does bring up an issue with the dead not being released from their positions resulting in Squads that look full on the (m)ilitary screen and noble positions that vanish from the assignment screen when their holders are killed.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2010, 11:15:04 pm »

A sex change gone horribly wrong? Yes, that would be frustrating.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:25 pm »

Biggest issues are definitely this random fat boiling, it's wiped out on fortress after it killed 40 in the space of a few mins and the rest tantrumed, the reclaimers have just suffered from a bout of it too.

Pathing is also a big one, I've just checked and i have 50 god damn announcement pages of pathfinding problems, they cause a noticable fps drop too.

Military system is a runner up, but I've managed to work around that.

Mnijykmirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:07 pm »

Biggest issues are definitely this random fat boiling, it's wiped out on fortress after it killed 40 in the space of a few mins and the rest tantrumed, the reclaimers have just suffered from a bout of it too.

Pathing is also a big one, I've just checked and i have 50 god damn announcement pages of pathfinding problems, they cause a noticable fps drop too.

Military system is a runner up, but I've managed to work around that.

Things just start getting too hot.  Dwarves melting from the rain, food becoming too hot to eat... it's crazy. 

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:52 am »

Really the only thing that totally bugs me is having to micromanage dwarves so they don't work themselves to death, everything else is tolerable.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:35 am »

Really the only thing that totally bugs me is having to micromanage dwarves so they don't work themselves to death, everything else is tolerable.
Well, aside from military dwarves they won't actually go until they die. Granted the perpetually blinking "Thirsty" and "hungry" and "tired" arrows are a bit annoying, but at least they're not dying.

Astrul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:18 am »

Things just start getting too hot.  Dwarves melting from the rain, food becoming too hot to eat... it's crazy. 

It has started raining.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just had to draw it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:05 am »

About the random fat boiling, i dont know in what climate it happen but if you find out, please send a post in the bug and workaround thread ill do some test to find a workaround. Maybe it due to the climat itself wich heat up but never cool down. Magma sea could raise the temperature of your embark zone and it doesnt cool down either wich one is it, more test would be needed.

Once again please send the bug in the bug and workaround thread to all player can get feedback on it and maybe find a workaround.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2010, 02:25:48 am »

Nice pic, Astrul.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2010, 04:16:29 am »

Personal frustrations:

1) The rather random nature of "No Trade". I've run across a few spots that seemed perfect with their only flaw being that none of the races could trade with me. I could understand it if there seemed to be any rhyme or reason as to why that would be, but there often isn't. A Serene Savannah that is flat as a board with no aquifer, plenty of flux, a nice brook, and almost right next door to an entire human civilization? No trade. An evil swamp/mountain halfway across the continent chock full of useless rock, laden with aquifers, and Armok only knows what monsters? Bring on the caravans!

2) An apparent inability to leave the site selection screen without either randomly embarking or using the task manager to shut down DF.

3) Maybe it's just me, but aquifers seem far more common in this version and have an annoying tendency to crop up even in sites that don't have them listed as being present.

4) Trying to reduce the amount of z-levels by tinkering with the parameters tends to have annoying side-effects. Setting no bottom layer or changing the magma layer settings means a world without a single volcano regardless of how many I set it for.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2010, 04:28:14 am »

My biggest frustration is only a few days after downloading it, I know all the spoilers. I really wanted to not find out about slayed.

I think. There could be more.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Kalrirr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:24 am »

So is it true that caravans don't come with wagons anymore? Because like retro I spent ages building a nice road to the edge... =(
Death before dishonour

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:10 am »

Having to irrigate soil to be able to farm, dwarves working until they get bad thoughts from being dehydrated and starved, meat and such not fit for eating or making meals. (I resolved all three by setting my dwarves to noeat and nodrink. Call me a cheat, but having constantly unhappy dwarves isn't better).

Hunters not hunting at all. (Resolved by designating the entire outside layer as a single burrow and have 5 dwarves decked out with steel swards and plate beat the sht out of anything that moves).

Military dwarves either not training at all or they do indeed train but with useless results. (Resolved by those dwarves being stationed outside and just beating unicorns, instant legendary skills).

Caverns. Sorry, i know a lot of people love them and they're a nice idea, but personally I just find them annoying. I ignore them for the most part, rewalling every entrance I accidentally open and dig around them.

Military dwarves running around with two weapons in the same hand and of course only using the training one. (Resolved by just designating those training weapons to be dumped in stocks screen).

Trees and bushes growing like crazy on my soil layers after I found a cavern (without the soil being irrigated, mind you).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No good way to differentiate between bones/shell/skulls and other refuse. I designated a stockpile inside close to the butcher's shop only for body parts and the remaining refuse goes to a stockpile outside. That helps a little, but there's still a lot of useless junk lying around there. Not to mention the never rotting corpses and remains outside now. And the blood.... arrgh.

Think that was all. Very nice release alltogether, but needs a bit of working ;)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21