Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Using an alternative keyboard layout

(1/2) > >>

windows_button:
Hi,The game's great, but a way to use an alternative layout is crucial to me, since I'm using a heavily modified version of Dvorak layout. It's otherwise ten times better than the usual Qwerty, but not usable in DW's current state. It wouid be nice if DW used same layout as the operating system. Thank you in any case!

Aquillion:
The controls are fully customizable, aren't they?  Make it yourself, then upload somewhere it so other people can use it.

windows_button:
Umm... The thing is that my keys are physically rearranged, but the game recognizes them as if they were arranged in the old fashion. I'll give an example: I set the command "set building preferences" (default Q) as Q in MY layout, but MY Q is in the place of "[" in OLD layout. Also when taking into account that the game changes the key displayed next to a command( e.g. "[: Set buildings /prefs" ) instead of keeping it static, it's impossible to locate a right key.
That wasn't a very clear explanation, I know.
I could have understood it wrong, I'm probably right. Please fix it. I think it would'nt be that hard. Hopefully.  :p  Thanks.

Shinjin:
So the keyboard is a normal qwerty keyboard with the keys popped off and re-arranged in a modified Dvorak layout?  If so, what are you using to map the qwerty keyscan codes to your modified Dvorak layout?I know Windows comes with a couple of different Dvorak drivers to do this, but your description of 'heavily modified version of Dvorak layout' suggests that you are using something else[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Shinjin ]

flap:
Well, it is not really windows_button fault. The way DF recognises the key is really weird, and it half messes up with my regular AZERTY keyboard.If you press "esc", "Keybinding", change and then save it will create a config.txt file or something like that. (search in the inti directory). If you edit that file, you can change the label of the key.Example : DF recognises my "?" as ">" (The label for my help key is now ">" after having modified it). I open the configuration file, search the ">", and change the label of the key to "?".So, DF believes that I press ">", but knows that it has open the help menu, and display it as a "?".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version