Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Favorite Elements of .31?  (Read 8745 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite Elements of .31?
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »

I saw the thread about frustrations; but what about your FAVORITE parts of the new edition?

For me, it's the fact that the game doesn't pause every time you strike Alunite.

The labor-preferences interface improvements are second!
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Elements of .31?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:21 pm »

Not having to search several hours for map with a lot of nice features.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:23 pm »

The underground features.

The underground is actually dangerous again! Yay! I haven't had to worry about invasions from below since 2d dwarf fortress, and it's nice to have a bit of excitement again - even if the excitement is sometimes an unkillable mutant that massacres everything in sight.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

I'd agree with the above posts, and to some extent, I like the new farming system, it's more realistic. Also, the creature difficulty really helps, as now a pile of beak dogs is an actual threat to a new fortress instead of free wrestling skill for your starting seven.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »

Indeed oO

When I made my garbage dump (one loooooooooong pit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
!!!Spoiler warning!!!) I went trough several underground caves..

This was al right, but later on, few years, batshit insane stuff came pouring out of that hole. Was hilarious. Fortunately, I had two legendary fighters and a few recruits ready after I figured out burrows and all. The battle was fun and bloody! Too was my ability to foresee this with a few dozen traps though. Non the less, stuff died in a gory fashion.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

Pretty much everything that isn't a bug. The underground, the military as it is gonna be once Toady fixes the glitches, the new professions and healthcare... the whole thing feels way more like a complete game now.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »

The expansive underground caverns. I love them, and I love them a lot!
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

The relatvely normal real and fictional creatures on the surface contrasted to the weird things that you find in the underworld really does it for me. The stuff down there is just so... original? I think Toady might have been engaging in less than legal substances when he thought up things like the Floating Guts:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Floating_Guts
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:13 pm »

I enjoy how plentiful stuff is.

You can generally find some form of weaponable metal and at least a little coal just by looking around the surface a bit, and gems are plentiful enough that I think I'll actually feel better about using them before endgame in this version.

I haven't played around down deep yet, as I'm trying to get a squad trained and equipped before I get that far down. I'm sure there will be more love for me some floors down!

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:50:20 pm »

!!!Spoiler warning!!!

The spoiler is on fire? o.O

Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?

And on a semi-related note, I must say, I love the new combat and health system. I spent a good amount of time running around with a sword doing a bit of surgery.

And on top of that, I now train one of my starting seven fully in diagnosis, rename him to Dr. House, and give him a private booze stockpile.

^.^
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Armok help me, I love the underground trees. There just so colorful and have such interesting shapes. I like having stuff made out of them. Now above-ground trees are only good for charcoal.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:05:51 pm »

Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?

out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

As for what I like: magma on every map, and the abundance of z-levels.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »

I like how it's my favorite game, but with new things for me to discover :)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »

I like the new physical descriptions and traits.  It really makes them all even more individual and interesting.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »

There's so many new things I like, I can't make up my mind about which I like the most. Having more control over the military (schedules, alert settings, equipment, etc.), not having to spend hours genning worlds to find the ideal embark location and the much improved underworld are probably my favorites.
Pages: [1] 2 3