Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farming Issue  (Read 33452 times)

Faolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming Issue
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

I just started the new DF, and I can't farm. I have seeds (according to my stores), farm plots, both indoors and outdoors, farmers, etc., but every time I attempt to farm, I get a message saying that I have no seeds available for that location. Any thoughts?

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »

you need to make the floor muddy just like the 2d version, this is described when placing the farm plot.

outside you just don't have any seeds until gathering plants.

this is not a bug

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »

I think you only need one tile of muddied ground to build a plot of any size.  That might be a bug, but it makes it very easy to do it... just channel out one hole above your farm area, set a pit/pond zone, and get a dwarf to splash it with a tiny bit of water and there you go.

*edit* well maybe not.  It allows you to build the plot, but the planters won't plant unless theres more mud.  I'm not sure how much is required to plant on the whole thing, but i don't think its 100% for farming
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:11:10 pm by The_Kakaze »
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:14:57 pm »

Although I have yet to try it myself, using a pump beside a floor opening might work. I'm going to try it in my fort and see how it goes.

Faolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:13 pm »

you need to make the floor muddy just like the 2d version, this is described when placing the farm plot.

outside you just don't have any seeds until gathering plants.

this is not a bug

...Even on loam?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:51:30 pm »

I would like to say that mushrooms typically do not grow in a dry area... they typically need a moist and warm environment to grow... so it kinda makes sense.

Just be safe and muddy the whole area to be farmed.

Try moving the seeds around. There's a pathfinding bug going around that sometimes lets you use mats and other times you don't get to use them... it's annoying.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:38 pm »

If the seeds you have won't grow on the dirt you've farmed, you will have issues.  I am not sure if this is a bug, or working as designed and simply not fully understood and documented by the community.

I can say I have the same issue.  Currently I am in the process of trying to gather some local seeds. I figure if they grow in the dirt naturally, I can farm them.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »

From what I've seen, it's outside/indoor-light farming on soil, underground farming on mud. Partial mud or light results in a glitchy farm plot that probably won't see anything planted.

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:16 am »

I had a five by seven room that I'd flooded, though mud didn't form in the corner farthest from the entryway.  I was still able to build a complete five by seven farm plot - but nothing would get planted.  Out of curiosity, I tried building a two by four plot in the room adjacent to it, which I had flooded with water so as to flood the actual farm chamber and which was entirely filled with mud.

My little Dr Farmer happily scurried to press plump helmet seeds into the mud.

Figuring I was onto something, I destroyed the larger farm, then made a plot that covered ONLY the muddy tiles.  Indeed, after it was done, my dwarves were happy to push cave wheat seeds into the muck.

It's not a huge bug, but it is a misleading one: You can build any size farm plot over off of one tile of mud, but you won't be able to actually grow anything off of it, it seems.

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:52:28 pm »

this is not a bug

Are you sure? From what I've read, it's a bug.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »

I had a five by seven room that I'd flooded, though mud didn't form in the corner farthest from the entryway.  I was still able to build a complete five by seven farm plot - but nothing would get planted.  Out of curiosity, I tried building a two by four plot in the room adjacent to it, which I had flooded with water so as to flood the actual farm chamber and which was entirely filled with mud.

My little Dr Farmer happily scurried to press plump helmet seeds into the mud.

Figuring I was onto something, I destroyed the larger farm, then made a plot that covered ONLY the muddy tiles.  Indeed, after it was done, my dwarves were happy to push cave wheat seeds into the muck.

It's not a huge bug, but it is a misleading one: You can build any size farm plot over off of one tile of mud, but you won't be able to actually grow anything off of it, it seems.

Was the unmuddied tile(s) soil or stone? Because my plot didn't expand onto clean stone. Still, you could exclude the area by building temporary walls over it, then removing them after the farm is built.

For muddying those inconvenient corners, I've also come to start channeling from above and using temporary pond designations to muddy from above. Doesn't work if it'll shed light on an underground farm area, of course, but in general it works well enough.

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »

Was the unmuddied tile(s) soil or stone? Because my plot didn't expand onto clean stone. Still, you could exclude the area by building temporary walls over it, then removing them after the farm is built.

For muddying those inconvenient corners, I've also come to start channeling from above and using temporary pond designations to muddy from above. Doesn't work if it'll shed light on an underground farm area, of course, but in general it works well enough.

The unmuddied tiles were soil, this being on a sandy level.  It's not a huge inconvenience, honestly, just something that makes one go, "Oh, dang."   I figure I'll just split the room into farming several sets of seeds.  Cave wheat grown beside the plump helmets, boy howdy.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:11 am »

It has already been confirmed as a bug, ignore the 'this is not a bug' troll.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 10:18:17 am »

yes, even soil must be irrigated, it has been said that this is NOT an intended feature, it is probably a bug.

A related bug you may see, is that a partially irrigated farm placed on soil can generate it's own special brand of problems. Plants are placed in columns from the top left. If a column is interrupted by a patch of dry soil, all remaining tiles in the farm will never be used.

Farms placed on muddied rock simply skip any dry rock tiles at creation and are therefore fairly safe from this effect.

These are both reported on the tracker.

twinburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »

I think this issue just got a new wrinkle. I just tried farming outdoors in every manner I can think of and tried then digging a hole, wetting it entirely then starting a farm in it and it still didn't work at all. Any ideas?
Pages: [1] 2