Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

Farming Issue

<< < (3/6) > >>

Wolfius:

--- Quote from: Rakoth on April 06, 2010, 02:45:16 am ---I had a five by seven room that I'd flooded, though mud didn't form in the corner farthest from the entryway.  I was still able to build a complete five by seven farm plot - but nothing would get planted.  Out of curiosity, I tried building a two by four plot in the room adjacent to it, which I had flooded with water so as to flood the actual farm chamber and which was entirely filled with mud.

My little Dr Farmer happily scurried to press plump helmet seeds into the mud.

Figuring I was onto something, I destroyed the larger farm, then made a plot that covered ONLY the muddy tiles.  Indeed, after it was done, my dwarves were happy to push cave wheat seeds into the muck.

It's not a huge bug, but it is a misleading one: You can build any size farm plot over off of one tile of mud, but you won't be able to actually grow anything off of it, it seems.

--- End quote ---

Was the unmuddied tile(s) soil or stone? Because my plot didn't expand onto clean stone. Still, you could exclude the area by building temporary walls over it, then removing them after the farm is built.

For muddying those inconvenient corners, I've also come to start channeling from above and using temporary pond designations to muddy from above. Doesn't work if it'll shed light on an underground farm area, of course, but in general it works well enough.

Rakoth:

--- Quote from: Wolfius on April 06, 2010, 09:43:53 pm ---Was the unmuddied tile(s) soil or stone? Because my plot didn't expand onto clean stone. Still, you could exclude the area by building temporary walls over it, then removing them after the farm is built.

For muddying those inconvenient corners, I've also come to start channeling from above and using temporary pond designations to muddy from above. Doesn't work if it'll shed light on an underground farm area, of course, but in general it works well enough.

--- End quote ---

The unmuddied tiles were soil, this being on a sandy level.  It's not a huge inconvenience, honestly, just something that makes one go, "Oh, dang."   I figure I'll just split the room into farming several sets of seeds.  Cave wheat grown beside the plump helmets, boy howdy.

lastofthelight:
It has already been confirmed as a bug, ignore the 'this is not a bug' troll.

DoctorZuber:
yes, even soil must be irrigated, it has been said that this is NOT an intended feature, it is probably a bug.

A related bug you may see, is that a partially irrigated farm placed on soil can generate it's own special brand of problems. Plants are placed in columns from the top left. If a column is interrupted by a patch of dry soil, all remaining tiles in the farm will never be used.

Farms placed on muddied rock simply skip any dry rock tiles at creation and are therefore fairly safe from this effect.

These are both reported on the tracker.

twinburner:
I think this issue just got a new wrinkle. I just tried farming outdoors in every manner I can think of and tried then digging a hole, wetting it entirely then starting a farm in it and it still didn't work at all. Any ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version