Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming Issue  (Read 33362 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Issue
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »

I think this issue just got a new wrinkle. I just tried farming outdoors in every manner I can think of and tried then digging a hole, wetting it entirely then starting a farm in it and it still didn't work at all. Any ideas?
When you're farming outdoors you need outdoor plant seeds to plant there. The seeds you can buy from the dwarven caravan and bring at embark are for indoor farming only.
Does this explain your behaviour?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »

I think this issue just got a new wrinkle. I just tried farming outdoors in every manner I can think of and tried then digging a hole, wetting it entirely then starting a farm in it and it still didn't work at all. Any ideas?

You can also use plant gathering to get outdoor plants. Brew them, or wait for a dwarf to eat them, to get the seeds.
!!&!!

whitey321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:55 am »

If your farming outdoors, you can't farm outdoors at all in a mountain biome. Period.
If your farming indoors, just muddy the ground.
If it still doesn't work, it's probably a bug.
Technically, it's not pacifism, it's militant uprising led by an overly-charismatic but useless dictator
Dwarf Fortress: Life Through Hitler's Eyes

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »

Just ran into this today, I channelled into a stone room and wet every tile, but nobody ever farmed on the plots I put there, even after I sealed it all with a new roof.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:07:10 am »

So it was once exposed to light?

Did you use above-ground plants? Or below ground?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 08:19:14 am »

As DF plans to have some realistic aspects, it's expected to have two major points to farming:
1) Climate: some plants just don't grow everywhere... Outside farming only allows you to plant what can grow in the area, if you got a desert or freezing environment, you won't ever grow a leaf there... Still, indoor farming is not affected by climate;
2) Soil: Farms use an averaging on the ground, underground plants only thrive in underground environments, so you can't plant on normal soil or sand, you have to get an ALL muddy underground soil to make it work, just as the other guy said, flood a room and use freely doors and floodgates to control, let about 2/7 of water and wait for it to be drained and vóila, farming plots will give you what you want... Outdoors farming is a bit trickier, you first got to make sure there's no rocky floor or anything other than soil (or grass), chanelling will let you make an outdoor farm indoors, just make a floor so the enemies won't fall on top of your farm and you'll be a happy little farmer...
That's all i guess

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »

The buggest plots managed to show both, so I tried them all. No dice.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:33 pm »

The buggest plots managed to show both, so I tried them all. No dice.

That particular behaviour is part of bug #213. It should've partially worked, but there have been no updates on that bug in quite some time so it's possible the behaviour has changed. If you are able to provide additional insight with comments on that bug, however, it would be quite useful.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Sir Scarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 03:21:51 am »

I had a similar problem, my farm was built and it was never planted on. Turns out that the upper left tile must be a farmable tile in order to get the dorfs to plant stuff!

Later on, this farm (which had been producing strawberries before), suddenly stopped working. It has the "no seeds available" notification on the crop selection area, despite the stores having aboveground crops, a farmer with the labor activated, the seeds are not forbidden or designated for dumping, and the farm has seeds in the ground, growing right now! This makes no sense to me whatsoever so I gotta ask around at this point.

If its any help, I am on a reclaim, the farm was built on the original embark, and the farm tiles are all either "furrowed sandy clay" or "furrowed silt loam". It also just turned summer; but strawberries grow in the summer. Perhaps it has to do with temperatures?

EDIT: Woah. My dwarf just planted a strawberry seed, yet the farm still says there aren't any available seeds! Obviously there is a bug here, and I'm at a loss as to what it is. Help?

V. 31_25
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:40:09 am by Sir Scarf »
DF is the art of squeezing fun from a rock: You don't get it from the rock. The fun is in the challenge. Ultimately, the fun comes from yourself.

And Magma.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:00 pm »

Submit it on the bugtracker, with the save and everything. It's the best way to get these kinds of things fixed.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Shortzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:28 am »

is the behavior of farms entered anywhere in the raws? can i make mountain biome farms accept seeds?

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 03:08:02 am »

I've done some experimenting and I think I've tracked down the origin of the bug.

It seems that if you put down a farm plot before you have any seeds the game keeps thinking that you don't have any available seeds even when they become available.

I've been able to reproduce this for above-ground farming, don't know about below-ground farming though.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:54 am »

I've done some experimenting and I think I've tracked down the origin of the bug.

It seems that if you put down a farm plot before you have any seeds the game keeps thinking that you don't have any available seeds even when they become available.

I've been able to reproduce this for above-ground farming, don't know about below-ground farming though.

STOP POSTING HERE. WE HAVE A BUG TRACKER NOW.

Sorry for my caps lock, but its neccesary. Stop necroing old threads. Its really annoying.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2]