Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have strange moods produce non-dwarven weapons?  (Read 895 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have strange moods produce non-dwarven weapons?
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:40 pm »

Since you can now equip your military with "foreign" weapons like greatswords and blowguns, it would only increase the exoticness of artifact weapons, and since strange moods can already make some unusual stuff like gold armor or crystal beds through the power of dwarven inspiration, it would make internal sense. Of course, having your possessed weaponsmith grab nineteen bars of HFS and craft a two-handed sword fit for a bronze colossus would be a bit annoying, but hey, that's what weapons traps are for.  ;D
Maybe only possessions should result in non-dwarven products - after all, there's no guarantee the spirit is a dwarf.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have strange moods produce non-dwarven weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »

I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:06:20 am »

Funny story, they already do. I have a dwarf get possesed, grab a stack of oak logs, take over a bowers workshop, and make a artifact blow pipe. It was the most worthless artifact ever at only 2400 and because he was possessed I didn't get a legendary dwarf from it...

But that's not the point! Yes, your dwarfs can now make legendary whips out of obsidian.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:08:45 am »

In Stars!, an old 4X game (regarded as the first 4X game, in fact, if memory serves), there always appeared "Mystery Trader" ships in your game area some time into the game. These would travel at ridiculous speeds from one edge of the map to the other, sometimes changing speed and/or course slightly on their way. If you managed to intercept one with a fleet carrying at least 5000 kt of minerals (a fairly significant amount that required mid-game technology and resource levels), they gave you a gift in the form of technological advances, artifacts, ships, or blueprints you could use to build ships.

My point is that the artifacts and ships you received were not only powerful and versatile, but always, as a rule, also exotic -- stuff you couldn't build yourself as they weren't even in the game technology tree. After that, strange moods in DF have always been almost comical to me, like some sort of Lord of the Rings parody ("you must melt the One Gold-Studded, Gem-Encrusted Floodgate With Hanging Rings of Bronze and an Image in Leather of Carp in mount Doom, or else Sauron will use it to decorate his dining hall and give all his orcs lots of happy thoughts!").

So for strange moods (especially possessions) to generate artifacts or new knowledge or whatnot that you wouldn't otherwise have been able to attain, at least not easily, would be very welcome. Doesn't have to be magical, just something alien and cool.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:52 am »

I've already produced an artifact wooden bow with a carving of a dwarven lord on it. 

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:36:29 am »

Shame we can't make ammo. Still, this is awesome! Great to hear.