Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limit which animal materials/tissues can be liked  (Read 773 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limit which animal materials/tissues can be liked
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »

In my current DF2010 fortress I have one dwarf who like warthog hooves, and another who likes groundhog bone.  There should be some way to limit which material templates and/or tissues templates can show up in a dwarf's preferences.  Like a [PREFABLE] tag which could be added to the skin, horn and ivory templates, so that dwarfs can prefer various kinds of leather (as before), plus things like cow horns and elephant ivory, but not things like naked mole dog spleens.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Limit which animal materials/tissues can be liked
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:48:59 pm »

Is it possible there already is such a limitation built in to what materials are acceptable for a given category? We don't get dwarves who prefer to consume warthog bones, for instance (that I know of), so it seems likely that material preferences would be restricted to materials that can actually be built with.

I do think a [PREFABLE] tag could be handy regardless, but do we have any examples showing it's necessary?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:56 am »

I do think a [PREFABLE] tag could be handy regardless, but do we have any examples showing it's necessary?

I just think that things like "warthog hooves" and "groundhog bones" is too specific a preference.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:46:08 am »

I don't think it's necessary, since they have so many favourites, but a dwarf with very specific tastes ought to get more happiness mileage out of it. A dwarf that likes groundhog meat would be happy with a meal that contains any groundhog meat, but a dwarf that likes groundhog spleen would be ecstatic with a meal containing that specifically.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.