Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I kill cats, dogs, and other animals?  (Read 10587 times)

yongke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I kill cats, dogs, and other animals?
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »

Hi guys

Can someone please tell me step-to-step how do I kill my own animals?  I have setup traps but they don't catch my own!  Please help me before it get to be an cat-astrophe.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I kill cats, dogs, and other animals?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »

There are two easy ways to deal with this.  One, get a cage, build it (like you would set up furniture), use the "q" menu to change its settings, and assign all your animals to it to get them out of the way (caged animals don't breed).  Or two, go to the Animal section of the main stockpile ("z", I think) and mark them all for butchering (you probably need to have already built a butcher for the hotkey to show up).

yongke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:02:44 pm »

Ah that's exactly what I need, thanks a lot!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »

You have happened upon the dreaded catsplosion. The only way is brute force (you can't butcher pets or assign them to cages). Make sure your dwarves are all ecstatic (have a REALLY NICE dining room)

Then build this:
Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
....^D   L ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

. is normal floor
▒ is a wall
D is a pet-impassable, unlocked door
^ is an upright spike
L is a lever connected to the upright spike

Then order any cat-loving dwarves to pull the lever. Their unfortunate friends will follow them, then get stuck at the door. The dwarf pulls the lever and impales them.  It's cruel, but unless you want about 10 fps and hundreds of cats, well...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:08:41 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:04:52 pm »

There are two easy ways to deal with this.  One, get a cage, build it (like you would set up furniture), use the "q" menu to change its settings, and assign all your animals to it to get them out of the way (caged animals don't breed).

Caged animals will give birth if they were already pregnant. And if they were outside the cage for more than .001 seconds, they are  almost certainly pregnant.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:06:25 pm by ZeroGravitas »

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:07:51 pm »

In my last fort, I separated the dining hall and food stockpiles from the rest of the fort. The only way to enter or leave was through ten hallways that looked like this:

═══
┼¢┼
═══

with the door to the left being pet-impassable. Whenever I noticed a pet between the doors, I locked both of the doors and ordered the lever operating the hatch to be pulled, which dropped the pets into 1x1 holes.

AFATWK*, a pet in a 1x1 area doesn't slow down the simulation much because it's completely immobile.

Anyway, sometime later in the game I flooded all the holes with magma. None of the dwarves got upset. Yay for boozecooking and legendary dining rooms. The pet-massacring, vomit-inducing, carelessly-smashing-dwarves-under-the-automatic-drawbridges monster that I am didn't get any real tantrum spirals. hah. (It also helps that all dwarves that actually went berserk died within 20 frames.)

*As Far As The Wiki Knew
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:56:44 pm by EliDupree »

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »

There is only one place where this question can be asked and receive a straight answer.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

yongke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:31 pm »

You have happened upon the dreaded catsplosion. The only way is brute force (you can't butcher pets or assign them to cages). Make sure your dwarves are all ecstatic (have a REALLY NICE dining room)

Then build this:
Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
....^D   L ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

. is normal floor
▒ is a wall
D is a pet-impassable, unlocked door
^ is an upright spike
L is a lever connected to the upright spike

Then order any cat-loving dwarves to pull the lever. Their unfortunate friends will follow them, then get stuck at the door. The dwarf pulls the lever and impales them.  It's cruel, but unless you want about 10 fps and hundreds of cats, well...

Hi guys, I tried Rotten's method of building a cat spike trap and get the owner to pull it, but the damn cat never follow the owner to the spike!  Is there anyway to get around this?

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:41 pm »

I know you can't assign pets to cages, but I forget...can you still pit them? If so, you can chuck them down a 10 z level pit and watch them go splat. >_>

If not, then ignore me because I haven't played in a while. :P