Hammer and its variations
- 17 (6.4%)
Mace and its variations
- 10 (3.7%)
Crossbow or other ranged weapon
- 14 (5.2%)
Scourge or other variations
- 7 (2.6%)
What Armok gave me! (wrestling, striking, and other natural attacks)
- 37 (13.9%)
Weapons that would make MacGyver proud!(explain)
- 16 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New best weapons?  (Read 3149 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New best weapons?
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »

Everyone has three votes.

Limit weapons to vanilla DF.

The idea is to find the best combination of weapons under the new combat system.

The spear and the crossbow used to be the best because they did piercing damage and could skewer an opponents vital organs in just a few shots. 

Explaining why you voted the way you did would be very much appreciative.  Discussion about choices is also welcome, especially regarding drawbacks that different weapons have.

For example, there are three ways to kill something with a war hammer. 
You crushed their upper body and severely damaged their lungs so they suffocate.  You so destroy a limb sufficiently that you opened an artery and they bleed to death.  You crush their skull into their brain, which is the only direct way of killing someone with a war hammer.

Note that not all enemies need to breath/have upper bodies or lungs, not all enemies have blood or a system of arteries to bleed from, not all enemies have a head or a brain to be crushed.

For example, a "creeping eye" has no feature that will allow you to kill it with a war hammer.  Or for that matter have a throat to be choked in wrestling or otherwise throttled from kicking and striking or be bitten to death.  I had one of these things where I had turned almost the whole thing red but couldn't finish it off.  I had to sneak away because I was beyond drowsy(that is how long I was beating on this thing).

There is a general problem with the war hammer, in that it can take a tremendous number of strikes to either land that critical blow on the head or wait for something to bleed or suffocate.  It does seem to vary from beast to beast though, like I find most wolves take a long time to die but some other beasts take much less time. 

I am thinking a war hammer for disabling an opponent, then a two handed sword or an battle axe would be a good combination.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New best weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »

Swords and axes, they're basically the only things that are capable of killing quickly. They cause massive bleeding and limb removal. The perfect weapons. My third (which I'm not voting for since it's hardly the best weapon, just most awesome) is unarmed. Something awesome about bludgeoning someone with your fists to the point where every part of them is bruised, then doing this: grab head. Tear out every tooth. Rip off ears and nose. Gouge out eyes, lips, mouth, and cheeks. Finally, tear off their head with your bare hands.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:43 pm »

axes are hand down the best. they can cut off limbs and sever arteries tendons and nerves

Igginator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:31:10 pm »

I reckon swords and axes for the first two.
Then my personal favourite  ;D THE FLAIL  ;D
Not only is it awsome cos its part chain every hit is almost garunteed a shattered bone. And with the new combat mechanics it means that an upper body shot is quite likely to send a shattered floating rib straight into a lung or heart.
And against skeleton things.......IT BREAKS BONES......enough said

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »

By the way, I found a fourth way to kill something with a war hammer.

You crush every digit of your enemy's open and continue to beat it until it succumbs to infection....

You can tell they are infected because they will gain the faint and then pale tags before dying.

Note that you can really only kill one thing like this between either traveling or sleeping.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:59:40 pm by PencilinHand »

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:18:15 am »

Best weapon I've found?

A giant's corpse.  ;D

I one-shotted another giant with it.

As far as actual weapons go, the axe is definitely the best right now. Sadly still not as good as the giant corpse.

But things will change as bugs are fixed and the combat system is refined.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:30:54 am by Jehdin »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:23:09 am »

Axes and swords are the only thing that won't lead to your fighters dying from dehydration first.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:43:20 am »

Serrated disc preferably made of that lovely blue metal I went hacking through many HFS things that i let loose and ettins, giants, a few dwarfs until my adventure died after killing a demonic law giver in an inn and having the towns population attack me.

My first adventurer got the disc from my original fort that opened up the HFS and proceeded to slaughter them with it in revenge.

Now the rest of my adventurers first quests will be to track that weapon down till and kill with it until it gets a name.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:40:18 am »

Swords are awesome.wrestling is useless.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 06:29:22 am »

wrestling is useless.
I wouldn't say that - while it's certainly not very good at killing things, I've yet to see a living creature stay conscious after one turn of strangling. Since Wrestling also lets you grab the enemy's equipment (like, say, that breastplate that keeps deflecting your real weapon or an archer's arrows) and is the only attack type that lets you target specific body parts, it certainly has its uses.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:44:10 am »

war hammers are good as your blow will pass maill armor but the kill time is just to long as its:
blood loss (by way of a rib to the heart is qicker)
severely damaged their lungs so they suffocate
smash skull into brains

but use a axe VS no or leather armor as its alot qiucker

crossbows are no good vs even mail armor
as only 1 out of 200 bolts will hit a unarmord part and this one blolt is cut clean through skin,fat,muscle tendon and bone to cut of one toe!.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:45 am »

Bows and crossbows allow ranged crippling, while axes and swords allow quick killing. The other weapons just don't compete, being both melee and non-lethal.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:12 am »

Overall I've had the best results with swords especially two-handers, they quickly chop off limbs and inflict heavy bleeding. Against a large mob this is helpful as you can cripple some of the foes quickly and then ignore them while they bleed to death as you fight others. I haven't really tried axes yet because I have been playing elves and they don't start with axe skill.

The main problem at the moment is creatures that don't bleed and aren't vulnerable to decapitation, they just refuse to die despite having no structural integrity left no matter what weapon type you use. Bronze colossi are the most obvious offenders here, but skeletons and at least one HFS type are pretty bad too.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:26 am »

Hammers and axes. Hammers for armoured enemies, and axes for the rest.
And, obviously, magma. Its the only thing that beats BC.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 11:00:35 am »

For me, the swords, axes and striking are pro. I punched a blind ogre in the stomach, and he kept on vomiting and passing out. food!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3