Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

[0.31.01] Magma sea drowns adventurer faster than burns him

(1/8) > >>

Salabasama:
I just managed to find my way as an adventurer through the caves to the great magma sea.  Then I fell in by accident.  I'm now drowning, but noticed that I was getting no wounds.  It took a long time for me to get any wounds, and so far they are very moderate.  It seems it takes too long for magma to heat the adventurer's flesh to the point of burning.  Adventurers should be perfectly able to swim across fairly wide magma rivers before dying.  Maybe longer if they hug blizzardmen first.

Mr Frog:
You hadn't perchance looted your fort for adamantine armor, had you? That stuff has a massive specific heat capacity, meaning it takes a long time to heat up. I dropped a giant in full clownite gear into a magma pit in the arena and only its exposed mouth and cheeks burned at all. It finally drowned after a while.

Of course, you probably didn't have any adamantine on you which means I must seem pretty silly now. I think heat transfer's generally pretty screwy this release :)

Salabasama:
I had on some bismuth bronze and pigtail cloth.  Maybe it was that gold bar in my pocket... Joke.

G-Flex:
From another thread:

--- Quote from: G-Flex on April 04, 2010, 09:21:10 am ---Magma is pretty broken. Here's a bit from IRC:

<G-Flex> ToadyOne: btw, I think the issue with blizzard men not dying in magma might be that they have no blood? Seems like burn wounds aren't enough. This is just speculation
<G-Flex> (where "burn wounds" = "being on fire for a year and all your fat dripping out of you like a rotisserie chicken")
<ToadyOne> burn wounds are very broken, yeah
<ToadyOne> and they rely on bleeding for death
<ToadyOne> like, your guy can sluff all his fat off and still be alive
<ToadyOne> it is very weird
<G-Flex> yeah that would be why magma death isn't instant now
<ToadyOne> but the game doesn't recognize that much is wrong when fat is gone

--- End quote ---

Kagus:
It's just the amphibian weight loss method.  Book your vacation to the magma springs now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version