Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Magma sea drowns adventurer faster than burns him  (Read 83975 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Magma sea drowns adventurer faster than burns him
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:51:34 am »

I just managed to find my way as an adventurer through the caves to the great magma sea.  Then I fell in by accident.  I'm now drowning, but noticed that I was getting no wounds.  It took a long time for me to get any wounds, and so far they are very moderate.  It seems it takes too long for magma to heat the adventurer's flesh to the point of burning.  Adventurers should be perfectly able to swim across fairly wide magma rivers before dying.  Maybe longer if they hug blizzardmen first.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Magma sea drowns adventurer faster than burns him
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:15:12 am »

You hadn't perchance looted your fort for adamantine armor, had you? That stuff has a massive specific heat capacity, meaning it takes a long time to heat up. I dropped a giant in full clownite gear into a magma pit in the arena and only its exposed mouth and cheeks burned at all. It finally drowned after a while.

Of course, you probably didn't have any adamantine on you which means I must seem pretty silly now. I think heat transfer's generally pretty screwy this release :)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:18:53 am »

I had on some bismuth bronze and pigtail cloth.  Maybe it was that gold bar in my pocket... Joke.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:51 am »

From another thread:

Magma is pretty broken. Here's a bit from IRC:

<G-Flex> ToadyOne: btw, I think the issue with blizzard men not dying in magma might be that they have no blood? Seems like burn wounds aren't enough. This is just speculation
<G-Flex> (where "burn wounds" = "being on fire for a year and all your fat dripping out of you like a rotisserie chicken")
<ToadyOne> burn wounds are very broken, yeah
<ToadyOne> and they rely on bleeding for death
<ToadyOne> like, your guy can sluff all his fat off and still be alive
<ToadyOne> it is very weird
<G-Flex> yeah that would be why magma death isn't instant now
<ToadyOne> but the game doesn't recognize that much is wrong when fat is gone
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:28:46 am »

It's just the amphibian weight loss method.  Book your vacation to the magma springs now!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:31 am »

Hmmm. This greatly complicates my noblegarbage-disposal system.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:18 am »

I will use magma to make all my dwarves ready for summer.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:31:07 am »

my dwarf opened up a magma lake and caught a spray. he has moderate burns on his main hand and
His upper body fat is gone
there was a couple puddles of 'dwarf grease' on the floor...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

archivis

• Bay Watcher
  • I am not here. Remember me not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:29:24 am »

Hehehehe demon rat tastes like satan!

Hmm bring your own potatoes (BYOPotatos) to the magma mess hall and fry them in your own grease (BYOGrease) and then chase it down with a tall mug of beer (BYOBeer)!  It's the dwarven way.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

this claim baffles me, I haven't tried to reproduce this one yet, but with all the reports of dwarves melting from not being anywhere near any magma I'm quite confused by this. Dwarves in scorching environments who get hit by a drop of rain melt to death quite promptly. Dwarves have been reported of dying similarly for simply standing too close to magma while wet, (within two tiles).

Heat, water, and dwarf is a pretty fast recipe for dwarf soup. So to have one dropping through magma more or less unharmed is very confusing. Hopefully some people can try to confirm this behavior and hopefully find some clue as to what is going on here.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »

Oh, they definitely melt, just not fast enough. The problem is (at least in part) that burn wounds and excessive heat alone aren't enough to cause death anymore. In fact, the game doesn't really consider there to be a serious problem when all your fat melts and literally leaks out of you. You have to either bleed to death or completely melt, for the most part, and sometimes, a creature just plain drowns first.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »

I can definitely confirm that the 'Lava' lake in arena mode cause not kill creatures as it should. Dropping magma on them does the job just fine;, but most creatures just drown in the lava after being there for a few minutes

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:46 am »

I can definitely confirm that the 'Lava' lake in arena mode cause not kill creatures as it should. Dropping magma on them does the job just fine;, but most creatures just drown in the lava after being there for a few minutes

I've literally dropped magma on elephants and had them survive. The basic problem still exists, where the only reason they actually die is massive bleeding, or through full-body liquidation.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

The whole system sounds like pain isn't working properly.

if,for example,a person felt absolutely no pain,you could very well slice them right up and until there brain stops functioning from lack of oxygen a.k.a bleeding to death or you destroy their brain,they would be technically very much alive.Any living creature however goes into shock,passes out and otherwise might as well be dead from the pain of such an injury until they are really dead.

however,burning should go through flesh and bone much quicker and heat the brain of a creature up/melt it far faster than it is doing currently.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:59 am »

The thing about magma is that it's not just pain, it's about your entire body being flash-fried to a ridiculous temperature. The human body isn't meant to have a core temperature even a few degrees higher than what it is; being thrown into magma should have such an effect that you effectively die from that long before you "melt".
Pages: [1] 2 3