Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1189216 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

about 30 entries long changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

+ >>>  DWARF THERAPIST FOR GENESIS

+ >>>  GENESIS WIKI (outdated)
+ >>> Featured: Genesis Adventures (YouTube)

Features:
- Three graphical versions (ASCII, Ironhand, Phoebus):
- Adventure mode crafting and spells
- Sorted by category stone menu:
- 10 dwarven castes
- 16 races/subraces
- ~100 new unique creatures
- 50+ new items
- Reworked plants and trees, many new plants and trees were added.
- Evil and good biomes have more diverse plantlife/trees.
- Different trees have different value of wood.
- Metalworking is reworked; many new alloys and metal types; magical metals; alchemy.
- Dozens of new workshops.
- Material and tissue overhaul; combat is deadlier and more realistic.
- Many tiers of leather. Small critters provide barely useable suede while megabeasts grant you deephide which is almost as good as metal. The leather tiers are: suede/leather/hide/mythskin/deephide.
- Caverns have visually noticeable difference in plants and critters; no longer caverns 1 will look the same as caverns 2 or cavens 3.
- New custom night creatures and bogeymen for your adventurers.

Alchemy

Dwarven Castes

Stone Clan: Stone Clan dwarves are the most frequent caste of the mountain dwellers. They have thick skin and muscles and they almost lack pain receptors in these tissues. Also their bones are hard and heal quickly, so the frequent cave-ins they cause is not a big deal for them.
Jade Clan: Jade Clan dwarves has announced their caste by themselves. They do not possess magical powers or twisted bodies, actually they are common dwarves. But their learning abilities and mental stats make other dwarves' to look like idiots. They carefully pick new members of their caste and share their knowledge and secrets with them. They often take roles of nobles and scholars.
Obsidian Clan: Obsidian Clan dwarves possess a fire spirit of an ancient origin. They are great metalsmiths and furnace operators.
Shroom Clan: It is said that if you eat too many mushrooms and drink too much mushroom wine, your baby will be a Mushroom dwarf. These guys are extremely cheerful, sometimes even maniacal and crazy. They cannot learn as fast as other dwarves, but they can give births to multiple babies and they mature very fast. Their lowered vision doesn't stop them from trying to get anywhere you do not want them, just to see what's up with that place.
Moss Clan: It is said that Moss Clan dwarves can live anywhere. While it's not totally true, they can be good settlers in savage areas. They do not catch diseases as easy as other dwarves and their flesh heals at a lightning speed, making them easier to survive in location with a constant outside threat.
Steel Clan: Steel Clan dwarves are rarely born to a family which was blessed by a god. They take longer to mature, but they always become great heroes and strong leaders. Nobody saw a sick steel dwarf either, it looks like they just ignore any disease they encounter. Their body emanates power, and even deep wounds regenerate magically fast.
Aspid Clan: It's unknown what caused the appearance of Aspid Clan dwarven caste. Some say they were some cultists worshipping a great snake god, some say they were affected by a forgotten beasts' poison. In any case, nowadays it's possible to meet dwarves which bear the mark of the snake.
Deep Clan: It is said that Deep Clan are born to a family which was cursed by a god or an ancestor spirit. These bold beardless dark skinned abominations are paranoid and malevolent. Their body is weaker than of a dwarf, but they cannot conduct a disease. They rarely make friends and are doomed to be outcasts of the dwarven society. However they are usually good wood-, bone- and stonecrafters.
Shield Clan: The combatant mindset of Shield Clan dwarves lets them learn the ins and outs of combat quicker than their fellows. Their legs however can never be as swift as the fastest of other castes.
Domple Clan: Unfortunately, some dwarves will never realize the glory of metalworking or stonecrafting. They are slow of mind, haphazard of beard, and childlike in thought. Their blades will never strike true and even the goats will laugh at them. Learning is not for them, but they don't get distracted from their hauling duty. They are addressed as a "clan" by others with humor.

Other Races

Human races: keepers, nords, dunedwellers. They depict fantasy europeans/scandinavians/egyptians.

Orcish races: Orcs, a humanoid race with green skin, strict code of laws and asian names/weaponry.

Centaur tribes: Centaurs, half-man/half-horse steppe dwellers.

Elven races: dusk elves and sylvan elves

Goblinoids

Serpentfolk

Illithids

Beastmen

Skulking races

Cavern races

Materials Revamped

- Tougher beasts: elephants, semimegabeasts and megabeasts possess thicker hides, tougher muscles and heavier bones. Also powerful creatures like dragons, dragon raptors and hydras possess metal-like bones, claws and teeth, so weapons made out of their scales and teeth are very powerful. Adventurers now should hunt for dragon teeth to make deadly spears and arrows.
- Goethite, Apatite: Goethite as a low-iron ore, appears in swampy soil; apatite as a new layer rock, with two new lead ores appearing in it.
- Material overhaul by Arkkhal with tweaks.
- New metals and ores: Cobalt, Goethite (iron ore found in soil), black steel, red steel.
- Coarse iron: The iron you get from the iron ores cannot be used for weapons/armor. You have to harden it in a finishing forge
- Charcoal furnace: An effective way to make coal.
- Blast Furnace: Suited for mass-smelting.
- Ironworks:

Adventure mode Spellcraft and Crafting

* Adventurers can gather plants and craft weapons, gear and crafts out of butchered corpses
* Adventurers possess basic magic: coins can be used to summon food, and they can summon fireball arrows and bolts.

Biome-specific grass

Soil is Fun

-New types of soil: swamp peat, black bog, raised mire, blanket mire.
-Peat is not longer a soil: it can be found in swampy soil types and burnt into coke.
-Goethite, a new mineral found in soil. It's an ore of iron but gives iron only in 50% of cases.

Expanded bestiary

- New domestic animals: goats, rabbits, boars, ferrets, chickens, turkeys, cave tortoises, bulldogs, spaniels, mastiffs.
- New wild critters: penguin, ent, giant sandworm, eland, seal, kangaroo, dama gazelle, ostrich, parrot, python, boa, asp, rattlesnake, sand cobra, giant otter, forest cat, wild turkey, seagull, albatross, pelican, swan, eagle, dire wolf, silver fox, giant ant, sand antlion, skunk, black crow, hercinia, firebird, leech, minnow, anubite, white lion, mammoth, rock lion, sand lion, jackal, raptor, dragon raptor, bronze statue, rhino, giraffe, eagle, nith, monitor lizard, rabbit, swamp troll, gargoyle, forest spider, blood spider. Spiders are redesigned (8 eyes, caste difference etc.)
- New cavern dwellers: animated armor, cave carp, ghoul, lost adventurer, mummy, beholder, illithid, umber hulk and gelatinous cube; amethyst, ruby, topaz, turquoise, sapphire, diamond, black opal and emerald golems.
- New semimegabeasts: Deep crow, thunderbird.
- New megabeasts: Balor, Frost Wyrm, Wyvern, Red Dragon (simple "dragon" removed")

Many more since I was not bothered tracking them all for some time (over 100 total).

Flavortext Mod

- New engravings
- New threats
- New phrases for speech

Additional features

- New nobles: dungeon keeper (->lord->master) is now assignable as any noble; psychiatrist which works with your sad dwarves so your expedition leader/mayor does not spend his time on this.
- Stylish Races: All races have different hairstyles and way to treat their moustache/beards.
- Sexes expanded: usually men are stronger and women are more agile. Also, gender-related bodyparts...
- New buildings: a lot of production, storage and beautification buildings. For the full list and functions read the included readme.
- Deadly archery: bolts can pierce armor, and Sylvan singing arrows are outright deadly. Now bowmen/crossbowmen have a real chance to fight, and you need a shield to fight them.
- Ironwood: Sylvan elves use an enchanted tree which grows only in good biomes, it allows them to craft good armor and weapons to fight.

Credits

TomiTapio deserves his own personal space in the credits, because he helped me with most of balancing and testing, many creature tweaks, lots of good suggestions. Also many cool creatures come from him: boa, python, bronze statue, pelican, swan, forest cat, bulldog, mastiff, spaniel and giant otter.

Acanthus117: brainstorming and support, cave carps.
Arkenstone: dwarven "heroes" concept which evolved into Dwarven Castes feature.
Arrkhal: total rebalancing of materials.
Asfghn: dragon raptors and raptors!
Caesar: Spider tweaks which made spiders more awesome.
Chariot: Plants and trees mod, which I mercilessly tweaked to make plants to have more understandable names and for overall edibility/price balance.
Coinich: Weight lifting workshop, training formulas.
D_E: awesome Balor and the illithid empire.
DaveT: latin language.
Deej: "Soil is fun" modcomp.
Dragon1423: anubites, which became savage beastmen, far from the original race, yet still deadly.
Dwarfu: bread baking.
Ironhand: Awesome tileset for new directx merge (which I changed a bit).
Kaypy: Display cases.
KillerClowns: races' hair/beard/moustache styles, applied to other entities but dwarves.
Koji: skunks! *sniff* *sniff*
Lazureus: vermin cremating, your best way to get rid of corpse parts and vermin remains; bodypart burning.
Lofn: adventure mode crafting.
Magnut: next_underground creature tiles; the best thing ever!
Max White: constant brainstorming and support and neat Nith critters. Tame one and cook it now!
Mechanixm: more reactions for the furniture workshop.
Mephansteras: The great Ironworks mod.
Naryar: Hell monsters (bebilith, hell hound, nightmare, strige, frost wraith, obsidian colossus, devilkin).
Orcishwarrior: logo for DFFD page, thank you for that man.
PrimusRibbus: swimming pool idea, given to me by Fleeb and remade into a bit different workshop.
Shaostoul: thanks to his awesome guide many things became easier to mod.
Stolide: leechs and minnows, the tiny critters of your ponds.
tomas1297: balor idea, thanks to Tomas you have to fight this huge firebreating abomination; say thanks that I didn't give him [IMMOLATE].
Vattic: bread baking.
Vorthon: floaters
Zargen: Deep Ones

And of course great thanks to everyone who participates in discussion and gives feedback!

Other versions and Mods based on Genesis

Mechanixm's additions and workshops
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95505.0
(based on old versions)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:43:25 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Genesis Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:11:50 am »

WORKSHOPS

Alchemical Workshop:

Blast Firnace

Charcoal Furnace

Crucible

Finishing Forge

Furniture Workshop

Kiln

Kitchen

Scriptorium

Smelter

Stonecutter's workshop

Tanner's Workshop
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:47:04 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Genesis Mod - v.02 is out
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:40:30 am »

I want forum community to suggest subraces.

03 will have Sylvan and Dusk elves. Sylvan are wild elves as they are in DF, Dusk elves trade with other races and use metals and superior weaponry.

Also there will be Deep Elves which will be a bit abstract while there're no underground cities, so they will be just strong metal-weapon using harrassers; but later they should become a true menace once the underground sites are more developed.

For the 04 I want other species of dwarves and goblins. For goblins it's pretty easy to include a ton of goblinoid variations, but I am a bit unsure about dwarves.

I have in mind: stone dwarves (as they are, in mountains and with all the stuff), chaos dwarves (which are again a bit abstract while there're no underground cities, but they will assault you from the depth even in this version) and gnomes (living in hills, adoring gems, smaller size; think of Snow White's gnomes).

Also I feel like this game needs more enemies :P. Minotaurs, Trolls, Ogres and Vampires as members of one civ with lots of cruel weapons and flavor (called Scourge or anything else) are planned too.

Suggestions are welcome!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] :: Genesis Mod :: - v.02 is out
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:46 am »

Well,I see you like D&D so we can have Shield Dwarves and Duergar(Deep Dwarves).Or we can have Tolkien style dwarves,Northern mythology dwarves and dark dwarves.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

Chaos/evil/dark/deep/mad/whatever dwarves are definitely based on duergar. I like DnD but I don't want to copy names directly just because they are in DnD :P.

For example, I see no reason to call mountain dwarves "shield" dwarves. "Stone dwarves", "Rock dwarves" or simple "Dwarves" make more sense for me.

Northern mythology niche is already occupied by normans :). Also right now I playtest sylvan and dusk elves so I will upload .03 shortly.

Thank you for your tips.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:26 am »

OK, it's really crazy. You have to generate large worlds for civilizations to survive. I have a wast forest full of Dusk Elven ruins, with all their cool gear and metals... Because hydras, bronze colossi, minotaurs and ogres killed about 70% of the total elven population. Same happens to every civ.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:23 am »

You really gotta do a lot of worldgen testing to make sure that at least 1 of each civilization type survives on a consistent basis.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:45:42 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:46:06 am »

At least one? Most of them survive. But most of the towns are ruins :P. It's a .31.01 "feature".

I mean, come on, how many times have you found a dragon and a bronze collossus near the same cave in 40d?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:51:00 am »

Sounds really cool, only one concern about the Wesman/Norman/Osman nomenclature. The Normans are already a historical race of people who already have the characteristics of your Wesmans. I'm thinking Norsemen might be an option that doesn't overlap inconsistently with reality.

Otherwise, it appears awesome, and I shall download it immediately! I look forward with anticipation to future versions: I love mods of this type that add more variety.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:54:17 am by Tonjevic »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:16 am »

I see, I can change it later if there're many complaints. It was worse when they were nords/nippon/teuthons :P.

.03 is out, with 2 species of elves. Curently with wooden weapons which cannot pierce clothing Sylvan are a bit... weak, but I think Toady fixes it soon, because elves need weaponry.

Enter Dusk elves and Sylvan elves.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
Re: [0.31.01] :: Genesis Mod :: - v.03 is out
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:26 am »

Elveses! A little sad not to see folklore-type elves, though. The kind that live in mushrooms and fix shoes and stuff. It's only fitting if you have gnomes!

EDIT: You could make them vermin and dwarves could eat them. :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] :: Genesis Mod :: - v.03 is out
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 11:47:03 am »

I will have gnomes, so Fairies/Fey race would be cool I think :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: 웃 ♕ Genesis Mod ♕ 유 [v.03]
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »

.04 will be released soon, including dangerous coal mod by Lofn which makes miners who inhale coal dust to have black lung disease. Also it will include various goblins and lots of Chariot mods (which add new plants like potato, onion, garlic etc., lots of fish and other neat things).

I accept suggestions on goblinoids.

Right now I have Goblins, Hobgoblings, Barghests and Orcs.

Also I plan to divide kobolds. Kobolds, skinny evil creatures with sharp teeth, and another breed, close to cutebolds.
I need to find a name for them, so any help is welcome :).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:56:53 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
Re: 웃 ♕ Genesis Mod ♕ 유 [v.03]
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:00:07 pm »

Oh shit, a gelatinous cube.

Deon