Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1195618 times)

Nirek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been working on a foreman file for genesis for a while now, and I'm really struggling to find a 'good' way to categorize things as it gets larger, what I've come up with so far is to group things mostly by industry, and split it up by warfare/precious for items, still looking for ideas if anyone has any other thoughts of a better way of grouping.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jeisler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks epic. I didn't get my PC back this weekend but I will get it in a day, and this edition for DT would be awesome to play with :).

A question: how do you read caste names?

Still I have returned to modding as I promised, here's my new mod :)
http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=21.0

It turns out that the castes are actually how DT currently reads gender.   That is to say, a female X is one caste, and a male is another.

So I just actually look at the caste value for each dwarf, and use that to correctly indicate gender, and then just pop up the appropriate caste text.   Right now it just says "one is male" and "anything else is female"  ... so adding castes is what makes DT go wacky.

Right now the names are hard coded in, but there are two possible next steps.   The easy way is to have a text file which any mod maker could use, specifying their custom caste names.    This would allow DT to (basically) never need updating, and any mod maker could easily customize it for their own mod.

The more difficult way is to actually read the raw data.   I see how it could be done, but I'm not certain it could be done perfectly without a lot of work (especially if people made races other than dwarf playable).

I'll probably go the "easy" route, as it'll allow any modder to have their own castes show up with a minimal amount of work.    I'll look into reading the raws a bit more though, as it would be the cleanest and cleverest way to do it.   

As far as the download goes, I wanted to try and get a hold of the DT maintainer (if there even is one) before I start distributing anything.    I guess it may be OK to hand out the plain executable to some folks, but I didn't want to step on any toes or anything.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yep, I hoped it would read the CASTE:MALE_ASPID, take out the MALE part to determine the gender and get ASPID as a caste name :P. It would make the program usable for different versions of the game mod without recompiling.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jeisler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, I hoped it would read the CASTE:MALE_ASPID, take out the MALE part to determine the gender and get ASPID as a caste name :P. It would make the program usable for different versions of the game mod without recompiling.

I've actually gone ahead and done it via a text file - I gave more thought to reading the raws themselves, and felt that there was too much room for error.   

For example, it just says "CASTE:MALE" for stone dwarves, and the "CASTE:XXX" is just a label, we can't really trust that the name there is the "real" name you'd want for the caste.    Then if I go into the CASTE_NAME area, there's say "moss dwarf" and "moss dwarfette"  ... but then we don't know which of the two caste names you'd actually want to use.

Say you had a human race of "warrior" and you wanted the female of a warrior caste to be called "Amazon" and the male ... it's just not practical to have these decisions all made automagically without some goofiness.

Sooo.... I figured the text file definition is the best way - the way I've done it you can just write in the names you want, and you specify the gender (I thought it was reasonable to think there would be a mod somewhere that has an only-male or only-female caste, so I didn't want to hard code in 2 genders for each caste).

The format is really simple.    Just do:

[MALE]Stone Dwarf
[FEMALE]Stone Dwarf
[MALE]Aspid Dwarf
[FEMALE]Aspid Dwarf

etc.

Enter these in the order in which they appear in the mod's raw file and that's it.    This will (should?) work for any mod, although it'd be weird if you had a mod where you could play more than one different race in fortress mode, but as far as I know that doesn't happen.

This'd even work for the Orc Fortress version of Genesis as well, just need to punch in the orc's caste names.     I may even create a file for it myself.

I've been trying to find anyone in the Dwarf Therapist IRC channel, but so far no luck.    I'll upload the .exe for this soon, if some people want to give it a try.     Provided all is good, you'd be totally welcome to list it with the Genesis mod and make it available for anyone to download.     

If I can get in touch with anyone about the DT code, I'll see if they want to get these changes merged into the official DT code tree (the changes will have no effect on the core DT - if there's no caste file supplied, it just runs vanilla... so there's no real reason not to merge it, I guess).

jeisler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uploaded to Mediafire:

** Feb 18th 2012 - Note:   This Therapist for Genesis is for DF2010, and will almost certainly not work with 34.01
** I saw that someone picked up maintaining DT after chmod retired from it, so I may look into merging my changes into the new version at some point....

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3b4si2fsrri4bis

Just a small zip file.   There's the new "Dwarf Therapist - Castes.exe" file you can run (I changed the name so nobody accidentally overwrites their original), and then the caste definition file is "etc/caste_default.txt"

Unzip into your "DwarfTherapist 0.6.10" folder and it should be set.

If some people want to give it a try, feel free.   All I ask is not to distribute it around much, at least until I can figure out who (if anyone) is handling Dwarf Therapist maintenance/development.

Oh yes, and it will not require a new .exe file when any mods are changed - just update the caste_default.txt file with any changes and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:02:35 am by jeisler »

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's awesome, only problem I see is that every mod would need to be manually added rather then it just detecting the stuff manually but hey can't have it all I guess? :D

jeisler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's awesome, only problem I see is that every mod would need to be manually added rather then it just detecting the stuff manually but hey can't have it all I guess? :D

Fortunately, it won't require any monkeying with Dwarf Therapist itself.   Any mod maker can just include a text file with their mod that people can use.   It's not *quite* as good as having it detected, but when I eyeballed the raws some more, and gave it thought, I realized there was no realistic way to make it magically detected for any possible mod.

Mod makers can just supply a "caste_default.txt" file and DT will work fine.   If you change mods, just swap the .txt file and you're fine.    Note, I named the file _default.txt because I figured at some point it'd be nice to be able to select which file you want to use from within DT itself, so you could have files like "caste_genesis" "caste_tomitomo" "caste_orcfort" etc, and you could just pick the one appropriate for the mod you're currently using.

I may end up doing that anyway, but it really doesn't add all that much value, I think.... so I don't plan to put a lot of effort into this unless the changes are likely to get picked up and put into the official DT.

So... the short version is, there won't be a need to add any mods to DT itself, so there's no issue with mod makers needing to get their mod added in any way.   They just spend literally 30 seconds typing up the .txt file and their mod is supported  ;)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing Genesis/ASCII (TomiTapio's) on Linux.  What I did was extract the ready-to-play Genesis file, then copy the df script and the libs/ subdirectory from the vanilla DF Linux tarball and drop them in place.  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Installation#Linux if you have problems.  I can't help you with alternate tilesets.  Oh... use xchm to read the manual.

I've got an ironwood bed that I can't dismantle.  The Furniture Workshop dismantled everything else, but won't touch this one -- the job's redded out in the workshop menu, even though the bed is in the carpenter shop, on the same Z level, about 12 tiles away (as were all the other beds I dismantled).  Trying to queue it through the manager now, see if that works....  Nope, the jobs gets cancelled with "Needs REFINE_WOOD bed."

Pfft, thanks for the help but I can't even open the normal dwarf fortress (no mods) i always get permission denied in the terminal (ubuntu 11.04 btw). I'm really an ubuntu noob. Is there a thread or place I can get more help from? I don't want to spam this thread with linux questions.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found the problem with Orc Fortress, make adamantine wafers was missing from the reaction_smelter raw.

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok i asked about the Domple Caste and got the awnser from that but What is the Warrior cast and what is so good about them?
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pfft, thanks for the help but I can't even open the normal dwarf fortress (no mods) i always get permission denied in the terminal (ubuntu 11.04 btw).

If you get permission denied after typing ./df in the correct directory, there are two things I can think of to look at.  The first would be the permissions on the df script itself; it should be rwxr--r-- straight out of the tarball, meaning the person who owns it can run it.  If the permissions are wrong, you can change them, or you could just run bash ./df to work around them.  The second thing would be mount options on the file system it's sitting in.  A file system that is mounted with "noexec" can't run programs; and on Linux, "user" implies "noexec".  If you're running from somewhere like /tmp or /var/tmp, or a mounted removable device, it's possible your file system has one of these options set.  bash ./df would not suffice as a workaround in that case, because the ./libs/Dwarf_fortress program that the wrapper script invokes wouldn't be executable.  You'd need to move the whole thing to a file system that isn't mounted noexec, or change the mount options.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

I've tried giving orcs the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE ] tag but whenever I take it away from the dwarves worldgen never moves past placing cave civs.
Whats going on?
-edit- I suck at spelling, I mispelled the fricken tag.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:09:33 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Destructios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any advantage to playing as a demon in adventure mode?  A majority of the other races have some advantages like multiple arms and such but they don't seem to have any.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a demon.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anyway to get this in ASCII?
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 642