Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: MESOZOIC DWARVES - 1.0  (Read 21710 times)

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
Re: MESOZOIC DWARVES - 1.0
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Damn I wish I knew how to mod better (Im very bad :-[) cause I would update this to .31. Someone with at least ok skills would have to do this, be warned I'll give moral support if someone does so....    Beware!!! :P
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

Reading this i was so excited, i freaking love dinosaurs. Dinos and Dorfs?  :D

Then i saw the date.
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:44 pm »

It actually comes bundled with 40d, so you can play it in this package... although I only started playing DF with 31.18, so I've never tried 40d before. I've read it's quite different from 31.xx though. Is it possible to use raws built for 40d and put them into 31.xx? Or would you have to start from scratch?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:24 am »

I'm very tempted to do a Protozoic (Carboniferous or Permian) mod for DF. Probably Permian, unless you want only ferns for trees and no way to brew anything (as far as I know, there aren't any mosses or ferns that are fermentable).

Edit: Whoops, I was wrong. The Carboniferous and Permian seem to have been dominated by seed-bearing plants like the erroneously named "seed ferns" (actually early gymnosperms, not pteridophytes). The real question then is whether any of these seed-bearing plants had enough sugars to allow fermentation- the later Permian did have conifers and ginkgos. You can't do mead instead, since there are no flowering plants and thus no bees. No mammals- no milk or cheese, unless (as I think there might have been) there were some mammal-like reptiles that did nurse their young, without being strict mammals- but that'd be late Permian. Since most coal deposits didn't even begin to form until the Carboniferous, and none earlier (to my knowledge), I don't think there'd be any such thing as decent coal deposits- all smelting would have to be done via wood charcoal. Flux stone could also present a problem. There'd be some limestone, but chalk doesn't form until the Cretaceous (hence the name). I'm not sure about dolomite (Wikipedia simply says "vast deposits exist in the geologic record"), and marble is simply metamorphosised dolomite or calcite- so I'm also not sure about marble. You'd still be able to get eggs from the reptiles, but there aren't any birds. So you might just be able to do late Permian as a mod. I think I might work on that...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:35:41 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »

Certainly sounds like fun :)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:27 pm »

Hi all,

Glad to see there's been some interest in this old mod, even though it is woefully out of date.

I do intend to eventually update it with a complete rework at some point in the future, but I have very little free time irl at the moment, so a new version is probably months away.

In the meantime, anyone is more than welcome to make a new version on their own! I'd recommend using a different name to avoid confusion, but I don't mind if you choose to use the same.

May your centrosaurs be ever fierce!

- Raphite1

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

Just out of curiosity, are you going for a Triassic, Jurassic or Cretaceous feel?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

Just out of curiosity, are you going for a Triassic, Jurassic or Cretaceous feel?

Some things that I did which sacrificed accuracy in favor of playability:

1) I included animals from all three Mesozoic periods (but primarily Jurassic and Cretaceous), despite the fact that some were separated by tens of millions (or even hundreds of millions!) of years in real life. I made this choice so that I could include more animals that were familiar to the general public, instead of having to fill out the mod with obscure species.

2) I made no attempt to separate animals by their real-life geographical locations (e.g. African vs North American), since this is obviously problematic in DF.

3) Many biome choices for the modded animals are completely speculative, and a few are outright incorrect. Still, I tried to make accurate matches when possible. I had to make some concessions here in order to adequately populate the full range of DF biomes with recognizable animals.

I'll probably follow these same principles when I eventually get around to updating this thing for DF2012, and I'd recommend the same to anyone who takes a shot at a "dinosaur" mod in the meantime.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:22 pm »

Considering that all of those dinos died out before the first primates evolved, I doubt that anyone really cares.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]