Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A small coal mod.  (Read 21098 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: A small coal mod.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:32 am »

Hmmm... this makes me interested in making diseases...

I don't like to self-advertise but I just finished putting together a rather rambling and incoherent article for the wiki on Syndrome modding.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Syndrome

You may find it useful!
Also known as Zuhayr.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:56 am »

such high quality! Amazing! ;D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 10:05:26 am »

Hmmm... this makes me interested in making diseases...

I don't like to self-advertise but I just finished putting together a rather rambling and incoherent article for the wiki on Syndrome modding.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Syndrome

You may find it useful!

Oddly, the wiki states that the only way to get a syndrome from a material into a victim is through boiled inhalation... but Lofn has gotten it to work without this.

Should we try a contact poison?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:42 am »

I actually wrote most of that page, Warlord255 - my method IS boiled inhalation.  As far as I can tell, the game treats boulder items and liquids as disrete items rather than flows or contaminants - in other words, they won't splatter on creatures and hence won't communicate syndromes.  This mod creates stone clusters within coal veins that are completely identical to coal, except that they boil immediately and their vapour carries an inhaled syndrome.

You also can't produce liquid contaminants at the smelter, ruining my poison slag mod idea. :(
Also known as Zuhayr.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

Is it possible to have more than one condition per poision, like Necrosis and Dizziness?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

Yes, very much so - take a look at the syndromes in the OP, they use several different CE_X tokens.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 10:17:24 am »

I actually wrote most of that page, Warlord255 - my method IS boiled inhalation.  As far as I can tell, the game treats boulder items and liquids as disrete items rather than flows or contaminants - in other words, they won't splatter on creatures and hence won't communicate syndromes.  This mod creates stone clusters within coal veins that are completely identical to coal, except that they boil immediately and their vapour carries an inhaled syndrome.

You also can't produce liquid contaminants at the smelter, ruining my poison slag mod idea. :(

Shucks. That's a downer.

As I'm awaiting the mac version, I can't do any experimenting myself... have you tried a contact poison yet?

Edit: I suppose it's now possible to add puffs of smoke to reactions by producing an insta-boiley nonpoisonous material, or add a very minor poison for things such as alchemical reactions or hazardous smelting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:21:11 am by Warlord255 »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:19 am »

Shucks. That's a downer.

As I'm awaiting the mac version, I can't do any experimenting myself... have you tried a contact poison yet?

Edit: I suppose it's now possible to add puffs of smoke to reactions by producing an insta-boiley nonpoisonous material, or add a very minor poison for things such as alchemical reactions or hazardous smelting.

Yeah, the actual transmission of syndromes occurs when a creature is splattered with a contaminant - ie. when it shows up in their inventory as 'filthy diseased blood covering, right middle toe'.  Boulders and liquids that can't splatter - ie. all of them apart from blood and other flows - can't be used for contact syndromes.

I ended up settling with a puff of boiling poison gas for my smelter mod, but it doesn't quite have the same -style- to it as peasants rotting their hands off cleaning the crap up off the floor.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

Hey, I was wondering... If antmen have their own suckish poisons for blowguns, is it possible for adventurers, or dare I say dwarves to utilize poisions in any way?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:44 am »

A problem I just thought of.

What happens if it becomes available to civs - will it arrive on trade caravans and destroy them instantaneously? Can we restrict it so it is not available to civs?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 10:57:22 am »

.. I didn't even think of that.  Hurm.  I'll have to give it some thought, though it's possible that there will be a simple fix.  We can't really slap a DEEP tag on there because that would restrict it from appearing in coal veins in the first place.

@Acanthus: adventurers, maybe, no idea.  Dwarves, no.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:02 am »

@Lofn: Damn.

Now, I want to make kobbs have a mild dizzying/pain poison in their bite or something...
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »

@Lofn: Damn.

Now, I want to make kobbs have a mild dizzying/pain poison in their bite or something...

Totally possible.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 09:39:38 am »

Would it be possible to make the blood of some creatures poisonous (or maybe acidic/scalding) so that dwarves who get it splattered on them in melee would contract some deadly disease?
Also, you mention that black lung is only contained in certain tiles, this would mean that higher level miners would get infected more often than lower ones... is this a good thing?

P.S. You mentioned something about warpstone earlier, can you send me a link to the mod for that?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 10:40:27 am »

Would it be possible to make the blood of some creatures poisonous (or maybe acidic/scalding) so that dwarves who get it splattered on them in melee would contract some deadly disease?
Yes, very easily.  You just make a material in the usual manner, give it a SYN_CONTACT syndrome, then replace the second BLOOD token in [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID] with the name of the material you want them to bleed.  I use something like this for a plague monk creature and one or two of them can incapacitate entire swarms of enemies just by bleeding on them.

Also, you mention that black lung is only contained in certain tiles, this would mean that higher level miners would get infected more often than lower ones... is this a good thing?
I hadn't considered this, but you're right.  I guess it makes a certain degree of sense - if the legendary miners work faster, they're likely to throw up a more dust from their vigorous efforts.

P.S. You mentioned something about warpstone earlier, can you send me a link to the mod for that?
It's not on the Internet yet, because I haven't finished it.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4