Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A small coal mod.  (Read 21092 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A small coal mod.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 10:51:53 am »

Also, you mention that black lung is only contained in certain tiles, this would mean that higher level miners would get infected more often than lower ones... is this a good thing?
I hadn't considered this, but you're right.  I guess it makes a certain degree of sense - if the legendary miners work faster, they're likely to throw up a more dust from their vigorous efforts.

Well, it's not like you develop black lung on the first day of the job, is it? It'll be the veteran miners who are more likely to develop it, as in real life - even if the reasons are different.

The thought occurs, that if you make it a gem, you can make it look the same as regular coal, but have a different name for the loose stone. It won't stop merchants bringing it on the own, but it will at least make it less likely that you would request it, or bring it on embark.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Two more questions:
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »

Would it be possible to make the blood of some creatures poisonous (or maybe acidic/scalding) so that dwarves who get it splattered on them in melee would contract some deadly disease?
Yes, very easily.  You just make a material in the usual manner, give it a SYN_CONTACT syndrome, then replace the second BLOOD token in [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID] with the name of the material you want them to bleed.  I use something like this for a plague monk creature and one or two of them can incapacitate entire swarms of enemies just by bleeding on them.
P.S. You mentioned something about warpstone earlier, can you send me a link to the mod for that?
It's not on the Internet yet, because I haven't finished it.
OK, can't wait for that- how much other skaven stuff you got besides the warpstone and plague monks?

Also, two more things on contagions:
     1. Could you put a (mild) contagion in cheap food/alcohol to give food poisoning and hangovers?
     2. Could you make a contagion give a positive effect?  I'd like to make a workshop that just produces a vapor that makes my dwarves happier/healther.  (Or, could you just find a way for a workshop to create steam?  Although, I suppose that just putting a grate over lava and designating it as a pit/pond would be good enough: dwarves dumping buckets of water on lava = dwarven sauna. If so, it might be a good idea to make a material called, say, thermium and give it [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9000] so that the dwarfs don't dy in the heat.  Heck, you could maybe even make armor out of the stuff, to act as thermal insulation- Arkenstone, Moddwarf has been possessed!)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Thermium FAILS
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:39 pm »

The thermium's not working well, I suppose probly because of the weird DF physics of hot to cold combined with fixed_temp and all, but it was off topic anyways.  I'd do more testing, but my little sis's been bugging me to get on.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Two more questions:
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »

OK, can't wait for that- how much other skaven stuff you got besides the warpstone and plague monks?
The Warlord Clans and the Lords of Decay, Moulder beasts, a -small- amount of Skryre stuff.  I'm not sure if I'm happy with it so far.

Also, two more things on contagions:
     1. Could you put a (mild) contagion in cheap food/alcohol to give food poisoning and hangovers?
     2. Could you make a contagion give a positive effect?  I'd like to make a workshop that just produces a vapor that makes my dwarves happier/healther.  (Or, could you just find a way for a workshop to create steam?  Although, I suppose that just putting a grate over lava and designating it as a pit/pond would be good enough: dwarves dumping buckets of water on lava = dwarven sauna. If so, it might be a good idea to make a material called, say, thermium and give it [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9000] so that the dwarfs don't dy in the heat.  Heck, you could maybe even make armor out of the stuff, to act as thermal insulation- Arkenstone, Moddwarf has been possessed!)

1. Nope.  There's no SYN_INGESTED tag yet, sadly.
2. Nope.  We've been asking Toady about beneficial CE_X's though.

Temperature at the moment is very dodgy.  Very very dodgy.  I suggest waiting till Toady fixes it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 03:50:06 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that nobody ever dies 'from the heat' anymore. :P

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:03 pm »

Sorry for the mini-necro, but have you considered something similar to this for lead poisoning?

Remove the metal ore tag from the ores of lead, add smelter reactions to smelt the ore into lead, and give it a chance to produce a custom material that goes gaseous immediately and has a lead poisoning syndrome attached?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:15 pm »

Search for Genesis Mod, it's got both this and what you're talking about.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:40 am »

I think Genesis has lead that poisons you when you mine it out, rather than when you smelt it. Principle's not that different, however.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 08:08:32 am »

Is it possible to make that "smoke/cloud" disperse when a tile is flooded?
I think you should be able to fight coal dust with 'wet working', aka, a sophisticated flooding system to absorb the dust.

... How long have I been away?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »

I feel like this thread's been quiet for a while, but I'm posting anyway to ask if I can include it in my LotR mod.

Also, is there a way to have it not affect certain creatures? IE, can you change the affected class to a custom one?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »

Also, is there a way to have it not affect certain creatures? IE, can you change the affected class to a custom one?

I may not know much about modding (yet), but you may want to look at the Syndrome Tokens on the DF2010:Syndrome page of the wiki. Specifically, I suspect adding this token to a creature will make it immune:

SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE - creates an exception for the creature so that it not affected by the syndrome.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:57 pm »

I couldn't tell by reading the raws, but does the 'black lung' material show up inside clusters of coal, or is it only in clusters of itself?

Can a syndrome like this be attached to a metal or other object? 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:40 pm »

It has the same name as the coal vein.

A syndrome can be attached to anything, but you should deliver it in a liquid or a gaseous form for it to work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »

just a curiosity, is this mod in corrosion mod? because im searching for the poisonous gaz mod that is in corrosion, without corrosion.
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:55 pm »

Holy necro, batman!
And yes, this is more or less the syndrome.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4