Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [2010] Bugs, Questions, Complaints, and How To Fix Them?  (Read 1410 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
[2010] Bugs, Questions, Complaints, and How To Fix Them?
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:11:06 am »

So here's what I want you to do for me:
Fixes I can do myself (with instructions for idiots) for whatever I mention that's fixable.
Answers, where available, to questions.
And creative, horrible ways to mutilate my for complaints, which I shall wisely refrain from giving until I decide whether the aforementioned manglings will be interesting enough, and yield an appropriate number of Janglur Jiblets.

BEGIN!

1)  Hospitals.  Buh?  They refuse to bring plaster and I can't seem to make soap anywhere.  Buh!  In fact, they won't bring ANY of the hospital supplies-  cloth, crutches, anything! to the hospital.  =/
2)  I hear there's a bug with the eyelids.  How to be fixing?
3)  I noticed a ton of giblets being made during butchering.  But noone eats, or cooks with it.  Is this bug fixable?
4)  Channels RARGH, I want channels, not ramps!
5)  Why are my dwarves randomly melting, and how can I fix this?

AFAIk, each of these bugs is fixable but from what i've seen in the forums, I don't understand exactly how.  I need it explained to me in  Newbese, or at least Dwarven.

Thanks in advance, and-
OH DEAR LORD, THEY'RE EATING MY INTESTINES AND I'M NOT EVEN DEAD YET!  [Holy raptor jesus am I loving the gore factor in the new DF]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:15:54 am by janglur »

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Re: [2010] Bugs, Questions, Complaints, and How To Fix Them?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:18:18 am »

1) construct chest (or coffers) in the hospital

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:36 am »

4: D->Z will remove ramps.  Sure it requires an extra step by they actually remove them fairly quickly.  Personally I think it's more efficient this way and you don't have to worry about your miners getting stuck on ledges.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:21 am »

1) construct chest (or coffers) in the hospital

Already did.

2 coffers, 1 chest, 3 traction benches, 2 tables, 1 chair, 8 beds.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

Quote from: janglur
2)  I hear there's a bug with the eyelids.  How to be fixing?

Not so much a bug (as far as I've seen its effects are minimal) as a typo in the raws - check the Dwarf raws and notice that both eyelids are "around" the same eye (L or R, I forget) and both eyelids "clean" the same eye (again, either L or R.)  Easy to fix by correcting the typo.

3)  I noticed a ton of giblets being made during butchering.  But noone eats, or cooks with it.  Is this bug fixable?

If you mean actual "meat" bits (including organs), you can go in the raw and add [EDIBLE_COOKED] tags to all the pieces with [MEAT] to make them cookable properly.  A lot of the [MEAT] objects are missing the tag.

5)  Why are my dwarves randomly melting, and how can I fix this?

They may be melting from water/rain, which currently has an "acid rain" bug that seems to be related to the water becoming superheated by subterranean magma (some sort of layer-radiant-heat bug).  I don't know of any fix but starting on a site that doesn't have the layer-bug.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:01:34 pm by Wirevix »
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FYI
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »

We're compiling a list of RAW fixes in another thread.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »

On the hospital: In my experience, you need to build bags in the hospital, through the build -> container option. I've not tried coffers or chests, but cabinets definitely don't work and bags definitely do, for me at least, so there you go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sudius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »

I've noticed a few things that I would like clarification on.

I've played 40#d for a few months so I know a good portion of the game but I've never observed these problems until now.

I'm 5 years in with 47 dwarves..   

My first question was already answered by the game...  I was about to ask if the frequency of snatchers, thieves, and ambushes have gone down.. because I haven't had a single one.  As I was writing this, I had my first 2 snatchers.  (Creepy!)

Another difference I've noticed is that I have a large number of remains in the "bone pile" (as I like to call it) that aren't rotting or making miasma or turning into usable bones. 

In 40#d, I had an air-lock room with a refuse stockpile that only accepted remains, and then another stockpile that only accepted bones.  So, bodies went to one room to rot, then bones were collected near craftsdwarf shops to be used for bolts or decoration.  I don't think the remains are rotting at all, or very fast.

Anyone else observing this?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

Vermin remains won't rot, no. Non-vermin will rot down to a skeleton or partial skeleton, but apparently no further. Yes, it seems to be a bug. 'Bout the only way to deal with it is magma or atom-smashing, at the moment. Non-critter rottables -- food not in a stockpile, ferex -- will still rot and produce miasma as previous.

Apparently ambushers and such are effected by the distance of your embark site from where'er their civ's located. Ferex, the further you are away from goblinland, the longer and/or less frequent snatchers show up. It's been reported that this effects most things involving stuff coming from off the map, but I can't say personally how accurate suchlike is; I've only had one thief incursion in one of my forts, so far... though it did happen in the first year, so it's definitely possible to get them fairly soon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sudius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:49:22 pm »

Vermin remains won't rot, no. Non-vermin will rot down to a skeleton or partial skeleton, but apparently no further. Yes, it seems to be a bug. 'Bout the only way to deal with it is magma or atom-smashing, at the moment. Non-critter rottables -- food not in a stockpile, ferex -- will still rot and produce miasma as previous.

Apparently ambushers and such are effected by the distance of your embark site from where'er their civ's located. Ferex, the further you are away from goblinland, the longer and/or less frequent snatchers show up. It's been reported that this effects most things involving stuff coming from off the map, but I can't say personally how accurate suchlike is; I've only had one thief incursion in one of my forts, so far... though it did happen in the first year, so it's definitely possible to get them fairly soon.

Thanks for the insight!

*dumping all vermin remains*

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:10 pm »

On the hospital: In my experience, you need to build bags in the hospital, through the build -> container option. I've not tried coffers or chests, but cabinets definitely don't work and bags definitely do, for me at least, so there you go.

Hmm, i'll try that and report.  Need to get a fortress going anew again, however, thanks to Acid Rain.  Maybe we should have listened to all those Elven threats of deforestation and global warming, and this is the punishment for our hubris (and mounds of *elf bone bolts*)?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »

Update:

I'm fixing the raws now, as per http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52747.0

But, I don't know what they mean and how to fix: 

creature_equipment
- You used a generic tissue named WOOD, which is probably why we're getting the wagon meat bugs.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »

I just ran into something new, apparently there is no stockpile which takes wooden blocks?  I spent about 10 minutes going through every option for block and custom stockpile and found nothing which I could change in order to get my dorfs to put wooden blocks into a stockpile.. ANY stockpile  :-\
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:55 pm »

Maybe we should have listened to all those Elven threats of deforestation and global warming, and this is the punishment for our hubris (and mounds of *elf bone bolts*)?

No no, this is not the dwarven way of thinking. We need to consider the possibilities of using the acid rain to our advantage! Perhaps we can melt some elves with it?
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »

Hmm, i'll try that and report.  Need to get a fortress going anew again, however, thanks to Acid Rain.  Maybe we should have listened to all those Elven threats of deforestation and global warming, and this is the punishment for our hubris (and mounds of *elf bone bolts*)?

Just to add my 2 dwarfbucks: chests work, which means coffers probably do, too.