Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Upcoming GURPS Game.  (Read 2951 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Upcoming GURPS Game.
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »

So, I have about a page and a half of notes on the setting, but I'm going to post a description of the setting now so you guys can suggest things and stuff. Anyway.

The Victorian Era lasted from 1837 until 1901. It brought with it the Industrial Revolution, great advances in transportation, medicine and sanitation improvements. But with this it brought great poverty throughout England, abuse of child labor and rampant prostitution. You will be dropped into a slightly romanticised version of this, it will mostly be historical with a few fantasy elements thrown in - mostly the stuff of legends (i.e. Werewolves). Fighting will take a smaller role in the game, with extra rewards being given out for diplomatic actions. There will be mostly custom classes, not many, I'm thinking of 4 or 5. Instead of classical class names I'm aiming for slightly more poetic names. Right now the classes I have are Gentleman, Musician, Brute and Surgeon.

The Gentleman is a character of grace and nobility. Well, on the surface anyway. With this class you have many choices of what your character should be, a smooth talking assassin? A charismatic thief? Perhaps a true gentleman. A gentleman would use rapier-like swords, small daggers, small pistols and their own charisma. The female title for this class would be Lady.

The Musician is a character of refinement and class. Underneath however, your character could be any number of things, a sly womaniser or a true musician. Musicians would use small daggers, pistols and at times their own instruments. Musicians could use their music to empower allies, while attacking his enemies, either by stunning, confusing or scaring them. At higher levels he can injure his opponents.

The Brute is a character of raw power and brutality. They could be bar brawlers, mercenaries, hunters, bandits and thieves.  A brute could use any number of weapons from longsword and spears to hammers, maces and their own fists.

The Surgeon would be the healer character. They can heal their allies using their skills and medicine, while they could use saws, hacksaws and knives to attack enemies. They can also - finding enough ingredients - make potions to sell, whether the potions heal, damage or are just drugs are dependent on what you find.

Anyway, still working on it. Feel free to suggest things.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming GURPS Game.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »

Will there be mad science?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:11:06 pm »

Quite possibly.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »

Sounds awesome. I would love if you include an Engineer class, one who tinkers with steam engines and the like.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

Sounds interesting. However, the Gentleman and the Musician seem a little too similar. I think they should be differentiated - for example, the Gentleman could be a duelist with pistols and the Musician could cast buffs with his songs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:19:55 pm »

I see the gentleman class as being more capable of creating opportunities, assessing situations outside of conflicts and influencing long term events relying on their understanding of the broader picture.  The musician on the other hand controls people more directly through illusion and charisma relying on their personal abilities.  So gentlemen would include Sherlock Holmes, Nikola Tesla and Giuseppe Garibaldi having large, indirect impact.  Musicians would be people like Laurence of Arabia or the Red Baron and innumerable spies who's names were never known (the good ones).
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »

I like this idea...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:14:49 am »

If anyone wants to take a look at the system we'll be using you can find the abridged version here:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-0004

Completely free.

Sounds interesting. However, the Gentleman and the Musician seem a little too similar. I think they should be differentiated - for example, the Gentleman could be a duelist with pistols and the Musician could cast buffs with his songs.

This is exactly what they are, but the flavor text I added made it confusing. Those were just examples, I don't want to restrict how they want their characters to be by their class. A PC's personality is dependent on their player, not a class.

If anyone else has more ideas feel free to suggest them.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:08 am »

I want to join this as the Fop class. <_<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:14 am »

Hey, what about Inspectors, who are more of skilljockeys than anything? Or would that really fall under Gentleman?

Oh, I have an idea! What about Cutthroat? They are squashy, but they use daggers, pistols and blackjacks to kill, they pick pockets and generally sneak about.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:40 am »

After looking over the rules, I do not need classes. The classes I posted before are examples of the type of characters I want; this game is for Roleplaying, not fighting. Feel free to start making characters now, in skills you cannot have anything related to computers or electricity. I will allow the first pistol and the first rifle in the weapons section only for now. Technology Level is 5. You have 70 points. The setting will be in England as stated before, English will be the main language, other languages may be useful.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:58:24 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:39 am »

Arrite! making my guy now.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 01:47:06 am »

Any help for people who don't have appropriate rulebooks? <_<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:29 am »

Wait don't, I still need to do stuff. Stuff that will make it easier.

Pandar: The GURPS lite I linked is all you need for a player.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:56 am »

Oh ok. I'll just be making characters in silence to ease myself into this new system.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: [1] 2 3