Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Community Combat Balance Overhaul: Removed unkillable Undead! new links.  (Read 51295 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon

I would like to point something out... Swords, yes they are normally used for slicing unarmored foes, however once you got to larger swords (the bigger the easier) cleaving through plate armor was entirely possible. I've seen people nearly cleave through plate armored dummies at an SCA event I attended, the guy wanted to prove a point.

The results added up to a sword cleaving through armor at any point as long as it struck straight on or at the smallest of angle from straight on. The point of plate armor was for the glancing chance. However it still could be cleaved through with a larger, much better quality sword.

All in all, plate armor was nice, but it wasn't impenetrable to swords. The downward strike into someones shoulder to the opposite side of the body brings A LOT of force that not much of anything was able to stop at the very beginning... before going through the armor.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have only been uploading the files I've changed. If you only want to apply the weapon fixes, move item_weapon and item_ammo over and edit those. I've been thinking about armor changes (as creatures go from mashed potatoes to tanks with armor) but haven't committed to that until I tweak metal and other material properties first.

You're welcome to use the changes, just cite credit over here. The mod is as much the community's work as mine, as many people have put research into this in IRC.

Is there documentation out on what changing the size of weapons effect?  You IRC folks plan on putting some of your findings in wiki or somewhere?  I understand velocity and penetration well enough.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Oh, this looks useful! Any objection to me including this stuff in Civilization Forge? With proper credit to the mod, of course.
No problem at all. :) Keep in mind future updates to balance will be made. I'm looking at numbers again tonight before tackling materials and armor.

I would like to point something out... Swords, yes they are normally used for slicing unarmored foes, however once you got to larger swords (the bigger the easier) cleaving through plate armor was entirely possible. I've seen people nearly cleave through plate armored dummies at an SCA event I attended, the guy wanted to prove a point.

All in all, plate armor was nice, but it wasn't impenetrable to swords. The downward strike into someones shoulder to the opposite side of the body brings A LOT of force that not much of anything was able to stop at the very beginning... before going through the armor.
Two-handed swords are still one of the strongest weapons in the game, and have the best "cleaving-in-half" attack.

Is there documentation out on what changing the size of weapons effect?  You IRC folks plan on putting some of your findings in wiki or somewhere?  I understand velocity and penetration well enough.
Size is also a multiplier for damage, though to what degree we're still finding out. I will update the wiki with more findings. We have recently updated the Modding tokens for .31.01. Most of that credit goes to Mike Mayday. Wiki is still kind of messy, but look for the 'list of tokens' page rather than the modding front page which is woefully blank.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The results added up to a sword cleaving through armor at any point as long as it struck straight on or at the smallest of angle from straight on. The point of plate armor was for the glancing chance. However it still could be cleaved through with a larger, much better quality sword.

Sounds about right. Plate armor was often called "Sword-proof," but that was only because, as a practical matter, most swordfights were decided by an inch-deep slash, or two inch deep thrust, which is all it takes to combat incapacitate somebody.

You sit there while somebody winds up with a huge overhead cleave... yeeeah.

So, has Toady said anything about the combat balance yet? Obviously it's broken, and it's obvious that it's simply a matter of not having enough time/beta testers to hammer it out (I consider this release to be an open beta.) I'd be curious to know what ideas/approaches Toady is entertaining vis a vis balancing combat.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've linked him to my thread of observations, and mentioned some to him, but I don't think he's responded much except in cases where things are obvious/clear bugs or errors in the raws or whatever.

I don't really blame him, considering how right now he's got a billion other things to deal with. I'm probably going to keep posting stuff in the thread about it but not really bug him about it for a while, at least not until he actually starts work on it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

One thing to keep in mind is that, historically, European history between the fall of the Roman empire and about the 12th century is a terrible source of info on field combat for your typical fantasy game.

Before around 1100, the nobility had two approaches to combat, depending on who they were fighting.  Against peasant conscripts, they'd just kill them.  Against an opposing noble, they'd try their hardest to take them alive, and ransom them back to their family.  Quite often for land.  And people didn't fight over land back then so that we could look back and go "hmph, those barbarians fought over something as stupid as land!  We're sooooo morally superior!"  No, they fought because land = food.  Good land you could grow crops on, so-so land you could pasture cattle on.

But anyway, that means there was no need nor any other incentive to arm anyone with anything that would really be much of a threat to a knight.  So it was generally swords and spears, nothing with enough weight or power to do much through a chainmail hauberk with a padded gambleson underneath.

But then the black plague hit, and tons of people died.  And the underclasses got hit the hardest, proportionally.  This resulted in a pretty good deal of changes.  Farmers were at the low end of the heap, and got hit the hardest, leading to a food shortage for everyone.  Nobles became less likely to take prisoners (who would need to be fed), and less likely to pay land or food to get someone back (who would then need to be feed).  It wasn't long before taking prisoners was pretty rare.

And at the same time, because the lower classes once again got hit harder, that meant the cost of unskilled labor rose proportionally more than the cost of skilled labor.  Making chainmail is nearly all unskilled labor, just some apprentices drawing and twisting wire, punching out solid rings, and riveting links.  A skilled smith would really only be needed to do tougher parts, like where the sleeves join the body.  And a hauberk could easily be made one-size-fits-all, since it was meant to be worn over top of about 4-6" of padding, and to hang down to about the knees.

Plate armor, in comparison, is nearly all skilled labor, and has to be fitted to the individual wearer carefully.  And the price of skilled labor rose too, of course, but not as much as unskilled.

So basically, the black plague made plate armor necessary at the same time that it made it cost-effective.

And that's why you need to be sure of what historical period you're looking at, when researching for a fantasy game.  Too early, and you've got guys intentionally using totally ineffective weapons.

Maybe I should do my next thing on why modern fencing people are completely full of crap when they say the scoring zones for the foil are to simulate lethal combat, while the epee scores everywhere to simulate first blood.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd just like to interject with something suitably minor for me to make a fuss about it...

Basically, I've been thinking about the bronze colossi and their unbeatable nature.  Well, I thought of a way that would give them a weakness, while being relatively true to the whole idea.

If we dip into Greek mythology for a bit, we find the mythos relating to Talos (which the bronze colossi of DF are almost certainly based off of).  Talos was a giant man of bronze, practically invulnerable to any weapons brought against him.  However, Talos was kept alive by a single vein of "something", which ran from his neck to his ankle, where it was bound shut by a single bronze nail.

There are multiple variations on the story, but in most of them Talos is killed by having that one nail dislodged or ripped out, causing him to essentially bleed dry.

I think that adding in some sort of minor circulatory system for the bronze colossus, with a small "plug" bodypart that acts like an arterial cap, would give them a small weakness that would at least give people a chance to kill the blighters.  Admittedly this plug could be targeted by adventurers and would make colossi much easier for them to deal with, but I still think it's worth considering.

It's funny that there's more than one instance in Greek myth of a so-called "Achilles heel".

Perhaps a single weakpoint isn't a great idea (they'd still be almost unkillable in dwarf mode, but adventurers would demolish them), but something like . . . I think it was Jason and the Argonauts, or some old Sinbad movie, where the giant metal colossus had molten metal for blood. So, they can bleed to death, but it's molten hot metal and thus pretty dangerous.

In fact it would probably be good to give every creature made out of some normally inanimate material some kind of "blood." I think it works well both story wise (everything needs a life force, except the truly unliving, like undead, who don't really have sentient thought). Iron men, for instance, could have "blood" that consisted of poison gas. Not sure if that would work, but it would be neat and solve the invincibility problem without powering them down too much.

Mister Lingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you very very much for this mod! Combat was the only game breaking bug in my opinion. Does this help with the immortal clowns made of various types of stone?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:29:16 am by Mister Lingo »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Perhaps a single weakpoint isn't a great idea (they'd still be almost unkillable in dwarf mode, but adventurers would demolish them), but something like . . . I think it was Jason and the Argonauts, or some old Sinbad movie, where the giant metal colossus had molten metal for blood. So, they can bleed to death, but it's molten hot metal and thus pretty dangerous.

That would be Jason and the Argonauts...  Because they fought Talos.

Also, I am suggesting that they have the full vein running through their bodies.  However, I do think that a plug is in order, since damaging the bronze to the point that it would breach the vein and spill out normally is rather...  Well, unlikely.  But yes, I do like the idea of having (certain) inanimate creatures with a blood-analog.

And having a single weak bodypart is infinitely more likely to be killed by dwarves in fort mode than no weak bodypart at all.  I think that swarming bronze colossi with dozens of the bearded blighters would bring them down by virtue of sheer chance.  I mean, after all, the colossus is a nonliving humanoid, and so doesn't have that many bodyparts to pick from...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Undead are gone? I like undead. I though the problem was that people wern't using axes to kill them?

Pathos

I'd just like to interject with something suitably minor for me to make a fuss about it...

Basically, I've been thinking about the bronze colossi and their unbeatable nature.  Well, I thought of a way that would give them a weakness, while being relatively true to the whole idea.

If we dip into Greek mythology for a bit, we find the mythos relating to Talos (which the bronze colossi of DF are almost certainly based off of).  Talos was a giant man of bronze, practically invulnerable to any weapons brought against him.  However, Talos was kept alive by a single vein of "something", which ran from his neck to his ankle, where it was bound shut by a single bronze nail.

There are multiple variations on the story, but in most of them Talos is killed by having that one nail dislodged or ripped out, causing him to essentially bleed dry.

I think that adding in some sort of minor circulatory system for the bronze colossus, with a small "plug" bodypart that acts like an arterial cap, would give them a small weakness that would at least give people a chance to kill the blighters.  Admittedly this plug could be targeted by adventurers and would make colossi much easier for them to deal with, but I still think it's worth considering.

It's funny that there's more than one instance in Greek myth of a so-called "Achilles heel".

Dwarves with steel weapons would devastate colossus if you filled them with a liquid ( which is the best way to do it ), because all it'd take is one hole and the poor bastard'd be dead.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing to keep in mind is that, historically, European history between the fall of the Roman empire and about the 12th century is a terrible source of info on field combat for your typical fantasy game. <post>

That was tremendously interesting, thank you. And of course there's always the disconnect between the "regular" military (the lord and his professional, properly armed and equipped soldiers,) and the peasant levies, which had naught but a shield and a spear (and were decently effective anyway, shields and spears being what they are.)

Somebody recently told me that chainmail was the most effective armor against arrows, not plate as was often said, which is amusing since the "common wisdom" always held that chain was worst (the point of the arrow finding the "holes" in the mesh, supposedly." That someone said it was because the chain has a bit of "give"' in it and catches the arrowhead like a net- which is exactly how Kevlar weave stops modern bullets. Sounds like another example of historians who know jack about ballistics or the concept of modern testing making empirical statements again. -.-

As for Toady, I'm sure he'll be able to use things like this mod and suggestion/discussion threads to give him some ideas about balancing combat, if he doesn't have them already. The way combat now models physics to some degree is very cool. We just have to make the numbers match. Arrows probably should have hella more velocity, for example. It'd be very interesting if you could make lead arrows that were even more effective against unarmored targets because of their greater density (there's a reason sling bullets were made of lead,) but fare poorly against heavily armored opponents.

Going back to the armor, there's already an interesting balance set up- if we give chainmail a bonus against arrows (if that's possible with the new system,) they'll be preferable to plate against ranged enemies, but be inferior in close combat. And naturally, if you have chainmail UNDER plate, you get an armored beast of a soldier, but a very slow one, not to mention only epic dwarves would be able to move around under that load anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:50:39 am by Demetrious »
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A small request: can you please temporarily change Large Daggers from [SKILL:DAGGER] to [SKILL:SWORD], so I don't have to overwrite it each time I download this?  :)

[SKILL:DAGGER] currently causes a crash. See:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=378
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Somebody recently told me that chainmail was the most effective armor against arrows, not plate as was often said, which is amusing since the "common wisdom" always held that chain was worst (the point of the arrow finding the "holes" in the mesh, supposedly." That someone said it was because the chain has a bit of "give"' in it and catches the arrowhead like a net- which is exactly how Kevlar weave stops modern bullets. Sounds like another example of historians who know jack about ballistics or the concept of modern testing making empirical statements again. -.-

Well, that's partially true. Plate is MUCH better against a glancing shot, since proper plate armor is designed to deflect most hits away from the user. Chain, however, is better at stopping a direct hit from actually getting through. Which is why you wore chain underneath your plate armor. The plate stops most things and slows down anything that gets through, and the chain catches whatever does puncture the plate.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

In terms of pure protective capabilities, mail really wasn't that far behind plate.

The absolute #1 advantage of plate armor is maneuverability.  A mail hauberk has every single ounce of weight hanging from your shoulders.  Plus, to get decent protection against blunt trauma you needed about 4" of padding, minimum.  So mail was incredibly fatiguing and hot to fight in.

Plate, in contrast, spreads the weight out over the body (and a full set of later plate armor weighed about the same as a mail hauberk, about 60 pounds), and doesn't need hot, insulating padding.  Warriors in plate were maneuverable enough that King Henry III would do somersaults and cartwheels in full armor, to entertain guests.

I haven't looked at armor that closely, but 40D, anyway, had the exact opposite.  Of course, it could very well be that dwarven plate is overengineered and tremendously thick compared to human stuff.

Anyway, though, chainmail was pretty much proof against arrows.  But then, so was plate.  You may've seen recent "research" on whether bodkin points could pierce plate, but that study was very unrealistic.  The guy that did it even acknowledged that the carbon content (and thus hardness) of the bodkin points used were far in excess of any known historical example.  That's led a lot of people to the wrong conclusion about arrows vs. armor.  Historical examples of bodkin points are made out of metal that's softer than what plate armor was made from, so their chances of punching through a plate, even on a perfectly aligned close range shot, was slim to none.

Bodkins really weren't effective against mail armor, either.  The logic goes that maybe a bodkin point could slip into a ring and force it apart, but at realistic combat distances, the arrow doesn't have anywhere near enough weight or velocity to do that.  It's far more likely that bodkins were simply a point that was very easy to mass-produce, a good design to find small gaps in armor (especially around the visor), and would be much more effective against boiled leather armor, like a fellow peasant-soldier might wear, at long range.  Historically speaking, though, the majority of armored knights who were killed by arrows, were shot in the face while their visor was up.

Some people also like to cite the battles of Agincourt and Crecy when discussing the effectiveness of arrows vs. plate, but French tactics in both cases were so utterly moronic, that it was physically impossible for the English to have lost either time.  The worst the English could've done would have been a tie, and that only if they had committed mass suicide!  Even a retreat would have resulted in piles of dead French knights at the bottom of a bog.

No, the English were victorious in those battles not due to any real advantages of the longbow, but because the French were idiots (they also disobeyed orders from their king, saying to hold back, both times).  They thought, first of all, that a knight on foot would be just as effective as a knight on horseback (big surprise, they weren't).  And second, they thought that a 3 foot deep muddy bog was perfectly safe for a guy with 60 pounds of steel to wade through (how could that ever go wrong?).  And third, they thought that no adjustment of tactics whatsoever was necessary to compensate for the lack of horses or bad terrain, like they insisted on sending their crossbowmen out without whatchamacallits (those portable shield things that you can hide behind while reloading).

The majority of actual "kills" (as opposed to technical suicides) of French knights, in both battles, were actually inflicted by billhooks and other hand weapons, on Frenchmen who had been "lucky" enough to fall on their backs in a shallow spot, but who still couldn't get up because of the mud.  Arrows were mainly useful for taking out French crossbowmen, and that because they had been sent out without their shields.

Anyway, though, I guess it is technically true that mail armor stops arrows the same way that kevlar stops bullets.  But that has little to do with anything, given that plate also made the wearer virtually immune to arrows, as long as they kept their visor down (but it's impossible to shout orders without raising it).

Arrows probably should have hella more velocity, for example. It'd be very interesting if you could make lead arrows that were even more effective against unarmored targets because of their greater density (there's a reason sling bullets were made of lead,) but fare poorly against heavily armored opponents.

Definitely a good idea to figure out an appropriate velocity for arrows.  It's also silly that blowguns top out higher than bows and crossbows, when it's the opposite.  Sure, you can "blow harder," but that doesn't change the fact that air can only move at a certain speed when lungs are pushing it out, and a dart will never move faster than the air shoving it.  A sneeze goes at about 100 mph, while an arrow shoots at more like 200 mph, so a speed limit of 100 for bows and 1000 for blowguns is just ridiculous.

Anyway, lead-tipped arrows wouldn't do too well, but arrows with lead weights on them wouldn't be too bad an idea at all, for close-range shooting.  Roman pila often had lead balls near the tip, to increase their penetrating ability.  As long as the lead weight is smaller than the arrowhead, a weighted arrow would be better against armor, too, at very close range (but poorer at long range).

Going back to the armor, there's already an interesting balance set up- if we give chainmail a bonus against arrows (if that's possible with the new system,) they'll be preferable to plate against ranged enemies, but be inferior in close combat. And naturally, if you have chainmail UNDER plate, you get an armored beast of a soldier, but a very slow one, not to mention only epic dwarves would be able to move around under that load anyway.

Well, the balance I see is sort of different.  For one thing, there's the skilled vs. unskilled labor thing I mentioned.  It'd be a great game balance thing if certain items were easier for novices to make, but had less effect due to quality.  I.e., a novice would make very acceptable chainmail, and a legendary armorsmith's chainmail would only be a little bit better.  But the novice would make atrocious and unwearable plate armor, while the master would make really great armor.

Then the maneuverability difference.  That could be done by having customizable armor coverage of body parts (I keep getting stabbed in the upper arms, argh!  I need arm armor!), and also how much "load" is put on certain areas.  A mail hauberk would cover the torso, upper arms, and upper legs, but all the weight would rest on the shoulders, making it very fatiguing to wear and hard to maneuver in.  But plate armor would be made of multiple smaller parts that attach to different body parts.

For "doubling up" on armor, there actually is a strong historical precedent there, in the time after the black plague where better protection was needed, but the plate armor industry wasn't in full swing yet.  Usually they would wear a mail hauberk without the padding underneath, then put a breastplate, cuirass, brigandine, etc., over top of it.  Usually they would try to make the outside piece tight enough at the waist that the hips would support most of the weight; that would also "trap" the mail against the body, so that the "skirt" protecting the legs would also hang from the hips, making the weight distribution a little bit better.  Add gauntlets, greaves, sabotans (I think they were called?), and a better helmet, and you would pretty much have the same protection as full plate, but it would weigh probably around 20 pounds more, and have poorer distribution.

That could result in some very interesting gameplay tradeoffs.  Low-level smiths could make much higher quality mail than plate, but low-level warriors would have a much tougher time fighting in mail than plate.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:23:19 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12