Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 173788 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #1125 on: February 08, 2016, 07:21:59 am »

this is dead sad.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:53:22 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:30 pm »

Howdy everyone, crawling back in after 6 months gone, once again!

So I'd usually put the usual excuses here, but I'm going to level in that I'm increasingly finding the motivation to work on here hard to find. This isn't due to not wanting to write or even time constraints or anything; I hugely enjoy writing stories.

Rather, it's that the game is increasingly unplayable and feels far too limited. Bearing in mind Nomekast is a fort on version 0.31.25, released now over 5 years ago, and that it started on 0.31.01, being updated incrementally with each update Toady brought out. There are several bugs (ghosts with no ability to memorialise for one), as well as simply a lack of new nifty features the new versions have, key being the UI updates that make finding and tracking people MUCH less painful, especially considering that in Nomekast's version, each dead Nothing is added to the overall unit list, which means that over time the unit list (since there was no split between living or dead, fort or hostile) is now huge and awful.

And of course, the new wonderful features. Dem libraries, taverns, and temples are looking swag, and the visitors especially for the new version, but also the ones of 0.34 such as secret vampires and the justice system.

Add to which, I started Nomekast in 2010, when I was only 16 if you'll believe. I hadn't crystallised a proper plot yet beyond "survive the Nothing", and so said story has become a convulated mess with lots of dead ends and forgotten plot points (anyone remember Rakust and her minions? Don't worry, I forget 90% of the time too), since after all, the main reason I made Nomekast was for story and seeing what others could add to it, rather than just giving a log of what happened in game and nothing more.

So here's what I'm thinking: a new fort, though I've not yet decided what to do so. The new version, almost definitely, with maybe the Masterwork mod or any others if anyone can recommend a good one. Perhaps a similar idea to Nomekast and the Nothing, perhaps something different, I've not decided yet, though any opinions are certainly welcome.

So there, wanted to make sure to keep everyone up to speed. Thank you for following Nomekast, everyone who has, it's been a long, wild 6 years and I hugely appreciate everyone who joined in, either simply by adding their character, or by taking a real active role in the story. It wouldn't have been half as interesting without you all. I wish I could continue, but in the end I think it's more dignified to just come out and say the end rather than let it fade or just splutter into artificial life every 6 months as it has been for the past, what, two years.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:06 pm »

It's been a wild ride, my friend. This thread inspired me to make an account here, and look how far I've come.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 23, 2016, 07:42:28 pm »

It's been a wild ride, my friend. This thread inspired me to make an account here, and look how far I've come.
Being evercast as a female smith?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 24, 2016, 07:54:53 am »

Also Bastiongate and killing Terry, but yeah.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 24, 2016, 06:35:37 pm »

If we do masterwork I say use the slightly older one but that leaves the same issue of not having the new stuff.

I'm thinking just use the latest version of dwarf fortress, add in a secret or two (lacking the raise dead interaction so that the books just get placed in a library.) and the nothing, then just run for 50 or a hundred years and start.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 24, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »

If we do masterwork I say use the slightly older one but that leaves the same issue of not having the new stuff.

I'm thinking just use the latest version of dwarf fortress, add in a secret or two (lacking the raise dead interaction so that the books just get placed in a library.) and the nothing, then just run for 50 or a hundred years and start.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I thought Masterwork had been updated to 0.42 but it's still working on moving to 0.40.

So the latest version with some personal additions is looking most likely, it seems very few large mods work on 0.42 yet unless anyone knows of any good ones.

It's certainly been a ride, thanks for being on it. I feel bad I'm not giving it a proper ending after all this time, but if I just remake it, adding an ending will seem redundant and unnecessary.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 26, 2016, 01:00:09 am »

I think you've done an amazing job creating and telling the story of Nomekast, I'll be sad to see it go, as it has been one of my favorite story forts here on Bay12.  I'd like to thank you for sharing this story with us, and hope that if you do decide to make another, you'll let us ride along again.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05:20 am »

It has been a fantastic and wonderful story and enjoyable at every point. I would totally love to see a new fort on the newest version, and follow it just as closely as I have followed this one. I would say go for the newest version without the big mods. Again its been fun!

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 28, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »

I think you've done an amazing job creating and telling the story of Nomekast, I'll be sad to see it go, as it has been one of my favorite story forts here on Bay12.  I'd like to thank you for sharing this story with us, and hope that if you do decide to make another, you'll let us ride along again.
Thanks, I appreciate that! Will certainly be starting a new one to stick with more fully and to be free of having to spend most my time wrestling with the increasingly clogged and bugged system (soapmaking was still bugged from way back in early 0.31, infections were pretty untreatable), hopefully sometime in May once I get it ready and finish a few things.

It has been a fantastic and wonderful story and enjoyable at every point. I would totally love to see a new fort on the newest version, and follow it just as closely as I have followed this one. I would say go for the newest version without the big mods. Again its been fun!
Thanks for following and participating so much too! Stronghammer made a great addition to the fort, and really helped to push the story along, especially in the political side of things and in making the fort more a community. Consensus seems mostly to use the latest version, so I'll probably make my own little mod with some additions, hopefully some interesting little secrets and mechanics if I can work them out, and start a new fort in May hopefully, probably with a similar story though not exactly, don't just want to repeat the same things.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 14, 2016, 10:33:46 am »

..Wow, just read this... wow

Great job, I'm go with a sequel
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1136 on: July 17, 2016, 03:22:38 pm »

If you want to continue the story, you could just say:
"The nothing found a crack in our defenses, forcing us to flee our current fort and set up a new one."

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 17, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »

It has been rezzed. A new thread exists. Find it. Join us.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]