Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 174874 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2010, 12:29:01 am »

From the journal of Fori

It seems not all the dwarves have let go of old feuds as I once thought. Recently, Reg has been pestering me about these ‘tests’ of his. Now, not so much pestering as downright demanding. But it doesn’t matter. My heath and body is one of the few things that have not been snatched away by the defilers. I’m not about to let that dwarf cut into either. Say what you will, but I believe that no dwarf can hold the title of ‘healer’ without a proper understanding of herbs and blessings. Besides, this ‘hangover’ business is getting out of hand. I better refrain from drinking the dwarves’ potent brew for a while. Maybe that’ll convince Reg that this hangover is nothing to worry about.

Still, some of the looks I get from him make me glad that I decided to train with a sword. I just hope it doesn’t come to that.

Also, Ibruk has started to concern me. I thought his talk of gods and building temples was benign at first, but now I’m not so sure. I could overlook him working on his temple. Even him drawing away workers from projects that even I can see are important to the survival of our fortress. And even despite Tarran’s protests, the theft of the iron wasn’t too bad. But now, he speaks of living with goblins. Humans, I could tolerate, but why goblins?

Perhaps I’m being hypocritical. After all, the dwarves accepted an elf into their midst. But still, the thought of living with goblins frightens me. If there’s one thing besides the defilers that dwarves and elves can agree on, it’s goblins. I have seen families torn apart by their child thieving ways. I’ve seen parents who mourned the loss, no, the corruption, of their sons and daughters. And every time they set foot in the forests, it was with fire and blades. Invariably, they came to kill. I do hope that Ibruk is not serious, or that more sane minds will prevail. If a goblin did live here, I shouldn’t get a nights sleep, for fear of waking up to find a dagger blade buried in my back.

Besides, I always viewed dwarves and elves more as rivals than enemies. But there’s no mistaking goblins.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:18 am »

Ok so here is my attempt at a journal...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear journal,

last week as I sat in the temple I pondered, what is it about Fori that drives me crazy? I try to talk to her but my mouth waters up and my tongue won't move it just makes me sit there staring at her. She probably thinks I'm a rapist, I would. It's all because off the way her voice sounds, and because her breasts are so awesome they make plump helmets look like cave wheat. Ok well on to the next bit of news; I hate harming other creatures, it's only because my friends are in danger that I lift my axe to kill. I hope that one day the others come to understand this.

From,
johann

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:55 pm »

From the logs of Delta, part two:

Hrm. Gettin' used to life here is being easier that I'd thought. Dig a bit, haul a bit, nothing too demanding. Of course, I'd rather be out there looking for my daughter, but I think... I think maybe I should give up. It's been... what, five years or so since we got separated, and that's a long time. She may well be dead... or worse, living as a slave in some dark fortress. Hrrr, the mere thought gives me shivers.

At any rate, for something on the brighter side of news, our so-called 'leader', Ibruk, has built a small shrine to thank the gods for the fortress's survival. I say the poor sod's a nutter, but still I must admire his talent for decoration. The iron walls give the whole building a nice sober tone, and the shale makes quite a nice contrast with the phillyte columns. Religious fanatism can be quite a good source of inspiration, if you ask me. As Ibruk demonstrated once more right after finishing his little temple, running around chanting and building perhaps the best action-figure-artifact-thingy I've ever seen. It showed a goblin killing a shadow. Unusual choice of theme, but I can't say I disapprove of it. Back in Machineshimmers, I had some pleasant talks with our green-skinned prisoners. Sure, you couldn't let them out of their cages or they would go about killing everyone, but I guess that's just their nature, right?

"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »

Ok so here is my attempt at a journal...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear journal,

last week as I sat in the temple I pondered, what is it about Fori that drives me crazy? I try to talk to her but my mouth waters up and my tongue won't move it just makes me sit there staring at her. She probably thinks I'm a rapist, I would. It's all because off the way her voice sounds, and because her breasts are so awesome they make plump helmets look like cave wheat. Ok well on to the next bit of news; I hate harming other creatures, it's only because my friends are in danger that I lift my axe to kill. I hope that one day the others come to understand this.

From,
johann

There appears to be two dwarves with a liking to elves. hmm...well only one dwarvenly way to settle this.  Drunken combat.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »

So just a normal Dwarven fistfight?

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »

Loser has to shower and stay sober for a week.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2010, 09:13:03 pm »

Loser has to shower and stay sober for a week. be a dirty elvish spy with no concept of morality or a sane mindset.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2010, 11:16:32 am »

Alas, poor sober!
We hardly knew ye.
No seriously, who was that guy?

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2010, 03:09:41 pm »

Loser has to shower and stay sober for a week. be a dirty elvish spy with no concept of morality or a sane mindset.

That sound like it's a three way challenge all around...to the death...I'll take no joy in sending the pair of you into the magma when we've got so few of us at the moment.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2010, 06:56:59 pm »

I'd like a dwarf. Melagius, any military dwarf, preferred swordsdwarf, male with an overconfident personality.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »

Sorry about the late update guys, an art exam's been keeping me away, but I'll be resuming regularish updates again.

Welcome to the military Melagius! You'll like it, no one's ever died! Yet... Your profiles up on the first post.

1st Moonstone 674 - Morning

"Ah Stas, you haven't seen the spare pick have you?" Spartan asked the Dwarf as he passed him in the halls. Stas gave a slight cough,

"The spare pick? I can't say I have..."

"Oh, shame."

"Don't worry...it'll probably turn u-" Stas stopped mid-sentence, a strange look on his face. His demeanour suddenly grew shift, as his eyes darted to and fro. He left without a word, moving to the craftsdwarf workshop where he quickly collected a lace agate, two lumps of magnetite, and some donkey leather. And, all in silence and trying to hide what he was doing from any others nearby, began to work secretly.

- - -

"Master Ibruk!" Kadzar called to the prophet. Ibruk was just leaving, having finished the Morning prayer to Id, supreme god and god of the mountains, as his disciple ran up to him,

"I think Stas is communing with the gods! He's taken the craft workshop, some materials and is working on something, just like you did!"

"Well, by Kol Esdorkol! Let us go at once!"

The two arrived at the workshop behind a crowd which was watching the Dwarf work, trying to steal glances at what he was making. Ibruk pushed past them, moving to Reg and Steve, who were there, conferring between colleagues,

"No, it's perfectly benign. Nothing worse than Ibruk's. I'm more worried about this hangover. That damned e-" Reg said,

"I've heard from some mountainhomes that this is the classic symptom of Berserk Syndrome. It might be best to-"

Ibruk interrupted Doc. Steve with a cough, inclining his head to the two of them before speaking,

"Pilgrims, I do not think you need to worry. He is simply receiving guidance from the gods, as I myself did. Soon we have be witnesses to another sign for our future."

"What we need is a sign of sanity, that's what." Reg said with a sigh, moving away. Doc. Steve shrugged, before following him. Ibruk turned to Kadzar,

"Let us not be disheartened by their lack of faith, dear Kadzar. For did Nekut not show her glory to all by making the moon fill the sky? They will realize, in time."

- - -

Stas finished his work just as dinner was sounded. They found him sitting idly on the floor, holding a magnificent magnetite bracelet. He claimed only to remember speaking to Spartan in the morning and then finding himself clutching the bracelet, which he - for some unknown reason - was sure was called 'Throatground'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This time there was no great dictation of the gods' wisdom by Ibruk, mostly from the fact that Stas refused to give the bracelet to anyone and promptly left the room for the caverns.

- - -

Stas didn't know what had caused this sudden blank space in his memories, and what had driven him to create Throatground, but it was a beautiful bracelet, worthy of a king, and he was determined to make sure no one else got their hands on it. He ducked behind the stone walls of the cavern, moving into his private room where he had stashed all that he had taken. He laid the bracelet down onto the table and then suddenly an idea struck him.

The temple was empty.

Everyone was on the upper levels, eating dinner or helping with the carving out of new rooms, or the still-unfinished tunnel. Kadzar had gone with Ibruk for dinner and the temple was empty and unguarded, and held Slyshaken, the idol Ibruk had created. Now as the perfect moment to take it. It was wasted, in that iron temple, surrounded by wooden candles and smoke and being regarded as a gift from the gods. Stas would ensure it was truly admired. He left his little room and moved to the temple, opening the iron doors carefully so as to not leave any trace. Slyshaken stood on the altar, surrounded by fungiwood candles that gave off an pungent aroma, still burning slowly from various people's visits to the temple to pray. He slowly took a gloved hand to the idol, when a voice rang out,

"It is best not to touch that, Master Ibruk has warned that a gift from the gods should be kept in the temple." Stas dropped the idol in surprise and it clattered down onto the cobaltite floor, eliciting a gasp of shock from the voice, who pushed past him, and took Slyshaken reverently in his hands and placed it back on the altar. It was Kadzar, Chief Priest of the temple. Stas gave a cough,

"Forgive me, I wanted to see it close up, now that I myself have...been guided by the gods." he lied. Kadzar nodded,

"That is your right, but do not touch it, Master Ibruk has given direct warnings about such." he repeated. Stas waved a hand out,

"Of course, of course." he said. However, he had not been paying attention to where his hand was going, and knocked over a candle that fell into the idol. Kadzar gave another gasp and moved to move the candle but he suddenly stopped, eyes widening with fear. Stas watched the priest with curiosity, "Any thing the matter?" he asked. Kadzar gave a yelp, falling the ground in prostration. He lay there for a few moments as the idol finished speaking and then pulled himself up, gasping for breath,

"Get Master Ibruk! And get Tarran! And Melagius! And Rion! And-" he gabbed, flustered,

"And what's happened?" Stas asked again.

"The gods spoke to me through Slyshaken! And they said...they warned;

"

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

"

:-\ So, uh, I think I might... just be... going away now...seeyousuckerslatergoodluckfoolsbye!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »

Tarran's dabbles, Chapter 6:

I OUGHT TO STRANGLE STAS FOR WASTING VALUABLE MAGNETITE FOR A STUPID BRACELET!

To further enrage me, he named it 'Throatground'.

Oh, and a forgotten beast, how lovely. I'll be sure to strangle Stas in heaven/hell after I die.

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2010, 05:27:24 pm »

Hurrah! a Worthy Challenge!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »

"Noxious secretions... Noxious secretions...  what can I do against noxious secretions?  Nothing.... Nothing, ha!  Here's an idea, boys and girls, let's just release the flying git on our friends outside! Bahahar, we could kill two birds without even listing a finger!  Ah, what a show that would be!  I suppose that's not really an option, though.  Nor the dwarven way to do it! We are dwarves, after all, aren't we?!  Ha!  Now, i don't know much 'bout fightan, but I know a thing or two about dwarves, and truly bred dwarves won't let anything get in there way; not beasts, gods, humans... elves.... Nothing! Hehahar.  This rum goes down to our dear friend Lerdi, may his death be slow and painful!"  Reg let out a bellowed laugh that filled the halls.  He often drank more then was needed to fill his stomach in times of great peril.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76