Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 174807 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:48 pm »

"Unpleasant for an elf, maybe!  Crawling in the dirt, me lass, is for those who can't dig.  Us, dwarves, have kinship... NAY!, mastery over the very ground which shuts yer kind out!  We reap the bounties of the world below, while you 'nd yer dainty li'le flower pickers skip 'round in yer meadows!  Bah, we beat that thing, all right, the DWARVEN way.  I doubt there's much down there we can't handle OUR way.  'Nd your wooden weapons, 'good enough for goblins', well that's the reason we whoop the goblin's arses every chance we git!  At least THEY are warriors!  Now don't be ungrateful, you light lunged, beardless whelp!  Not a scratch to any of our men, thanks to what?  Elvish wish-wash about 'pressure points'? NO!  All we need is a steady arm and a strong hammer to get things done."

oh no!  I don't know if I can hold up so many prejudices at once D:
we'll see.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2010, 03:08:50 pm »

I hope I don't have to undergo that trial. It sounds very...unpleasant.
. Well... That depends on whether the zealot o the gods continues that tradition... In fact I'm a bit knowledgable in that regard.  Perhaps I'll speak to im about it.  Matters of faith be important.  But so are matters of clan, I'll also ave to remind him that those not acknowleged as full members of the clan cannae perform in his important ceremonies.  As he's trying to save our souls and bodies it should sway his decision...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

Bah! The lassie already wot went and passed like forty of tha ninety two trials by winnin a drinkin contest! Thas enough for the elvish bastards to be gittin my praise! No elvish bastard could go and pass all ninety to trials anyhow!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »

Yea... Ther be many a trial revolving around drink...

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2010, 09:37:33 pm »

In fact when Dwarven babies are born it's common to put the infant in a barrel of wisky and have it drink it's way out.

I know because I'm a Doctor you see.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:05 pm »

In fact when Dwarven babies are born it's common to put the infant in a barrel of wisky and have it drink it's way out.

I know because I'm a Doctor you see.

Every dwarf be knowin that! Its only common sense! What else would you do wath a dwarf baby?!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:46 am »

according to the elves we clothe em first and feed them something aside from ale.  That's crazy talk.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2010, 01:48:52 am »

according to the elves we clothe em first and feed them something aside from ale.  That's crazy talk.

Why would you go and give a baby somthin that ain't ale! They cry like hell unless they get their ale! Pff, "clothe" em, tha dungen masta back at my old home wore capes and capes, but not a stich else! Although, he was a kinda odd fellow...
No Gods, No Masters.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:24 am »

So that's where you get such durable livers. You train them from birth...

And yes, we clothe our babies. They get cold easily, they don't have beard to keep them warm.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:04 am »

We are learning today me dwarves.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:29 pm »

And...we're back! The worst exams are over and I'm left with some easy ones next week and then I'm done and can update much more often! Isn't that nice?

Kadzar - The door's still there, its just the blood that's covered it.

BoUnCe - Sure thing, we need a professional bookkeeper, Ibruk seems more interested in lugging barrels around at the moment. Bio's up on the first post.

masam - Tarran's contracted Muenster to make windows for the cottage, but he's mostly ignored that and is helping the forgeworks.

ProZocK - Thanks! And sure thing with the gobbo, a Goblin would really bring some...something to the story. :D You'll need to wait for some migrants though.

2nd Moonstone 674 - Noon

The sense of celebration that had permeated Nomekast after the death of Lerdi had culminated in a great party. For a Dwarf, any excuse to drink was welcome, and this was too good an excuse to waste. The revelry lasted well into the night, even Fori drinking far more than any Elf should, and it was not until noon the next day that the Dwarves began to wake. Spartan had been sent down to the caverns to get Lerdi's body and bring it up for butchering, while the rest of the community slowly began to get back to work, either on the tunnel, at the farm or in the forges.

Spartan swiftly made his way to the temple, humming happily to himself as he did. He reached the temple, Lerdi's blood lay smeared on its floors and walls, and the body lay there undisturbed. With two hands he lugged it onto his shoulders, and then noticed the head was missing. Hadn't it been right next to the body, where Rion had sliced it off? Wait, no it had been in the shrub...he looked over to the shrub, but there was nothing but a pool of white blood. Shrugging - or at least, trying to shrug despite the huge headless dung-beetle monster corpse on his back - the miner forgot it and continued on his way back up.

Opal 674

The month of Opal had heralded many changes to Nomekast. Shin had been placed in charge of building the dining room, and being an ex-Royal architect, she immediately took this challenge like a true Dwarf, drinking into the night and preparing plans for an open air platform in the caverns with a view on the lake and then unveiling them after a brawl in the meeting area. The tunnel was only now missing specific traps, the drowning chamber and stone drawbridge with a moat having been finished and tested. The causeway into the cavern had been expanded to prevent the traffic jam that occurred when twenty Dwarves were trying to go different ways and none of them wanted to fall down into the cavern depths. The walls of Tarran's cottage were finished, the swordsdwarf having spent most of his spare time on them, and Muenster had been tasked to fit in gem windows.

On the side of supplies, Lerdi's butchering had bought much meat that would last them several months. The farm was still producing large batches of plump helmets under Fori's supervision, and alcohol was plentiful. The soldiers were now fully equipped with iron weapons, along with iron breastplates, and there was talk of greaves to be forged. Excavations were underway beneath the entrance chamber in the caverns in order to mine out more stone and to fortify the area should anything ever drive them to refuge. Stas had completed his small lair, and protected it with a large gneiss door, and some stone-fall traps. He had taken to wearing Throatground at all times and was avoiding Kadzar and Ibruk like the plague. The two strange possessions that had struck Ibruk and Stas had won the fledgling Temple a few converts, bringing the number of Dwarves following Ibruk's teaching to 11, more than a third of the population of Nomekast. In a bout of fervency, Ibruk had commissioned a small shrine to Atir Purplemines, god of Jewels in the hospital, complete with a statue of the god, since jewels were commonly held to hold healing powers.

A Dwarf, named Bounce, had taken over from Ibruk as the community's bookkeeper, keeping accurate logs of all the food stores and items within Nomekast. This had led to the discovery of several items that seemed to have vanished, including a miner's pick, and a few uncut gems. The disappearance of a mining pick was always a fear within Dwarven fortresses, as no picks meant no digging which could cripple a fortress, and so a replacement was forged and Bounce was given her own, small, office in thanks. It was unknown as to where the pick and gems had gone to.

1st Obsidian 674

This was the day. Derm affixed his iron breastplate, checking to ensure it wasn't damaged in any way. Satisfied, he hefted his battle-axe. Today was the day he would go down in Dwarven history as the greatest explorer since King Astesh Lashsprayed of the Ber Dynasty who made three trips to the depths of the world before he became King in 170. Today he would explore the vast caverns of Nomekast for glory, for fame and for extra booze rations!

With a determined look on his face, he made his way down the ramp to the caverns. He crossed the bridge, ignoring the Dwarves carrying stones for Shin's dining area and then he took a deliberate left, taking him to the more unexplored areas of the caverns and away fromt he safety of the temple and dining room buildsite.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He felt uplifted as he made his way down the many ledges of the caverns, eyes searching round for danger or excitement. The rock walls were alive with a kaleidoscope of gemstones, shining meekly from Derm's torch like eyes. The Dwarf felt like all of Dwarvenkind were watching him, ready to sing his praises as he gallantly explored the depths. No one had ever set foot and laid eyes upon these cavernous walls before, and he felt confident that he could take on anything that dared attacked him.

He seemed to have been walking for hours when he arrived at a large, mostly-open area full of plants and shrubs. He heard a movement from in front of him and hefted his axe at the ready. The creature that made the noise was nowhere to be seen, but he could hear it getting closer. A loud croak now sounded from farther away. Sweat broke out on Derm's forehead as he prepared to swing his axe.

A loud snapping sound sent Derm flying off his feet and against a wall as a gigantic cave crocodile collided with him. While the Dwarf was stunned the cave crocodile attempted to bite at his chest but the iron breastplate deflected its attack. Recovering, Derm threw the reptile off him and swung his axe at the crocodile. The axe hit it in the front leg, but the tough scales of the creature stopped any damage. The reptile snapped at Derm's hand, but missed. Not missing a beat, Derm swung his iron axe towards the crocodile's throat, and pierced it through. It's throat dripping with cave crocodile blood, the beast attempted to crawl away but Derm smashed its rear leg. It continued to attempt to escape but the axedwarf tracked it down, and with another swing of his axe killed it.

But the battle was not yet finished. A load croak alerted Derm to the presence of a giant toad. The toad leapt at him, latching firmly onto his left leg and bruising him. It pushed the Dwarf down, causing him to bruise his head. But Derm didn't give it another chance, sending his axe straight through the toad's neck, slicing its head clean off.

Breathing hard, Derm went on a bit further, before deciding to lay down to sleep, he would camp here for some time before moving on and within the week would return for the New Year's a hero!

I can't upload the map at the moment because the map exporter seems to crash anytime I try.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:52:55 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2010, 01:06:12 pm »

Toads have necks?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

great, did derm get a trip to the hospital?
I would very much like to do my actual job :D
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »

YES I AM AWESOME. HURRAH! EXTRA BOOZE!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »

Disappearing things?
What things? I don't know about anything.

Also, does my dwarf have a lot of friends?

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76