Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 173796 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from the Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 04:12:46 am »

"These so-called "forgotten ones" probably aren't any worse than the Darksquids-what? It's better than Nothing! Hehehe-anyway, they're probably just some large beasties that caught some dwarves unaware. Hell, why don't we release 'em to the surface? Let them test their luck against the Darksquids!"
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:30 am »

(My guy, wandering the wilds on his way to the fortress.)

"Get the civvies out he said, it'll be easy he said.."
Well look where that got us Captain, you're most likely dead and here I am wandering the wilderness with a bunch of civilians.
Hell most of them are going to die of their injuries by the looks of it unless we can find a place to stop for a while. Hell the only people not injured are me, a glassmaker and two others. We're most likely boned.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »

I've just noticed - Ibruk has formed a grudge with Reg! It must be because of the Prophet's belief in faith healing ;D.
Anyways, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far, though you might change your minds later when I intend to beef the Nothing up with some super-stats :D.

4th Slate 673 - Evening

The initial chambers had been dug out by Spartan - aided by Rovod - and the food was being moved in when the cry came. Torvold had noticed them - Nothing coming down the mountain. About a dozen or so. The Dwarves had thought they were safe but here was another group of Nothing, coming straight down the mountain on their side of the river, ready to kill. And more would probably be on the way.

Tarran immediately dropped the barrel he was holding and rushed to get his sword. Rion gave a sigh and did the same, dropping the cave lobster he was carrying and getting his axe.

Together, the two moved in to engage the advancing monsters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battle was joined and the Nothing were found wanting. Two rushed ahead of the group and attacked Rion but the axedwarf dispatched them with no great trouble or, indeed, emotion. Another tentacled beast moved onto Tarran but was soon cut up. The remaining nine all gathered in one swarm, ready to charge, when a bolt pierced straight through one's head.

tchunk thcunk tchunk!

Three more bolts flew into the swarm. Tarran and Rion spun round to see Rovod, a look of concentration on his face, a crossbow in his hands and a prayer to his patron god Atir Purplemines leaving his lips. The Nothings plowed into the three of them, forcing Rovod to grab his crossbow by its end and attempt to bludgeon the Nothing to death. The tactic only managed to distract the creature long enough that Tarran could move up behind it and dice it up.

But back with the civilians, a Nothing burst out, having separated from the main group to corner the defenceless citizens.

"Darksquid!" Spartan yelled, preparing his pick but not yet moving in. The Nothing slowly came closer, tentacled ready in anticipation.

Ibruk was the first to react, waving his cane at the tentacled beast of darkness,

"Back! Back demon! We are under the protection of the Gods! Back!"

If the Nothing cared or even understood, it didn't show it, advancing closer and closer. Reg gave a cry, grabbing a crutch to defend himself with. Torvold was the one to move first, grabbing a copper pick and launching himself in with a cry.

The mechanic swung the pick straight into the Nothing's bulbous body, spattering its red blood over the earth.

As if in a trance, he then pulled it straight out and swung it at the creatures upper-right tentacled, piercing it through. The Nothing tried to attack him, but he jumped away and slammed the pick into it, causing the Nothing to tumble backwards. Spartan then sprinted up, slamming his own pick into the beast's body. Torvold then sliced his pick into it once again. The body was torn and shredded, causing the Nothing to collapse and soon to melt into blackness, leaving the miner and mechanic over where it had lain, breathing heavily.

Ibruk came over, prodding the ground with his cane,

"Fine work, pilgrims. May Os bless you and your courage." the Prophet said solemnly, "Now-"

"Now we're screwed." Rion remarked, coming up besides him,

"And in what way, young Rion?"

The axedwarf pointed out over the mountain,

"See there? When they realise that their little advance party is dead, they're gonna come crawling to kill us."

Spartan peered out over the mountain,

"Darksquids! There must be at least thirty up on that hill!" he cried.

"And they're coming straight this way." Rion commented drily.

Ibruk's countenance turned sour,

"We need to get everyone and everything inside quickly!" he exclaimed. Torvold interrupted at this point,

"I have an idea for a defense, we need to dig a-"

"No time for explanations! Go do it!" Tarran shouted, as Reg checked over the Dwarf to ensure there were no wounds from the fight.

The supplies and animals were quickly herded and hoarded into the small dug-out cavern, while Torvold instructed Spartan and Rovod to dig a three-measure wide ditch in front of the fortress entrance. When they had done this, they removed the ramps at one side.

"Where are the Nothings?" Ibruk asked wearily. Tarran checked,

"They seem to have stopped."

"Oh? Maybe they're discussing something." Rion muttered.

Torvold meanwhile, was busily grabbing all the shale he could find, and calling for the others to do the same. Under his guidance, they build a drawbridge over the make-shift moat, and then with ropes pulled it up to seal themselves inside.

Once in the comforting darkness the entire group gave a sigh of relief.

"Well done, pilgrim." Ibruk said.

"Very well done!" Rovod exclaimed, clapping the Dwarf on the back, "Now for a stiff drink I think."

"I can hook it up to a lever later, so we can lower the bridge or raise it at will." Torvold explained, showing them plans covered with various doodlings, "and with some magma I should be able to-"

"It won't hold them out forever." Reg said, ever the voice of reality. Ibruk stood up, throwing his arms out,

"Then come pilgrims! There is nothing-" a snort came from Spartan, "nothing to stop us now. Let us carve Nomekast and prepare for whatever tests are to come! Let us delve to the deeps so that we may be saved from the coming apocalypse!"

"And what will we do if we meet those 'forgotten beasts' Reg's grandfather spoke about?" Rovod asked.

"Release them on the Darksquids." Spartan promptly interjected.

"One test is very much like another, young pilgrim." Ibruk said dismissively, "We shall overcome, through faith and work we shall overcome."

There was silence for a few seconds, then a mutter from Rion,

"I imagine 'faith' and 'work' are metaphors for blood and tears."
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »

Make them harder, but not too hard, as it's not fun to set up a new squad, as you will soon see. ;)

Tarran's dabbles, Chapter 1:

Well, these 'nothing's are quite easy, I chopped up quite a few of them lately, too bad they make a gigantic mess...

I have yet to forge a weapon, things are going slowly outside of the fighting.

Oh, and Ibruk is getting on my nerves with all his religious babbles.

So, how is the actual fortress going?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »

"Nice job with that Darksquid Torvold, didn't know you followed the art of pick-fu too! Anyway, I need to talk to Ibruk."

Spartan downed his dwarven ale before walking over to the prophet.

"Hey, I once worked in a mining outpost, and we kept finding these caverns underground. They were connected, and full of trees and soil and animals. If we could find some here, we could get a supply of food and wood without having to go aboveground. 'Course we'd have to watch for predators, but it's better than a hoard of Darksquids."
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »

"bah! blood everywhere; if these nothing don't get to us first, we'll drown in it!  messy, messy, messy...  too much to worry about, too much!  well, no casualties yet, I guess that's a plus.  I just hope this draw-bridge is really keeping the Nothing out, not keeping us in.

"hmph, I should have stayed and died with the others, our fortress doesn't stand a chance. In any case, we need a REAL leader, one who can fight!  Not a damn wand-waving, ground-speaking cultist!  As long as he doesn't get anyone killed," Reg observes the prophet attempting to give the miners 'divine wisdom',
"oh boy, we won't last 'til the frost."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:09:54 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 10:20:25 pm »

The Writings of Rion Truthax-Slate the 5th
It's almost dawn. Can't sleep. It's the Nothing. But they arn't keeping me up with noise. It's the silence. They must be like locusts over those hills, yet it's totaly silent. We are all going to die here, but I still think we deserve this. The nobles have spent centuries acting all high and mighty, issuing their little "mandates" to get rid of unwanted dwarfs. The so called "law" that ammounts to nothing more than leaglized murder from the hammerers. Heh, "nothing more". In truth, I almost wish I had died back at my home, so I wouldn't have to deal with our "Prophet". I may have to create a plan to deal with him should things get out of hand. People in mortal danger for long enough will accept anything, and Armok knows I'm no public speaker. Who could I trust to be willing to go against him if need be? None of us really know each other, but I don't know if I can wait to find out if they also think he's as crazy as I do. We are so fucking doomed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:26:27 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »

Alright! Migrants! Exactly 3 of them. Shintaro Fago, Mangled and masam, you're all in, your profiles have been added to the first post.

Also, Ibruk is depressed! And I blame Reg for talking to him despite their grudge. Reg on the other hand is ecstatic, and with no actual reason apart from he talked to someone annoying recently. Go figure.

Also - changed the topic name, because 'hiding from nothing' is just better.

26th Malachite 673 - Noon

The first tunnels into the valley of the Swamps of Tunneling were almost finished. Small 2x1 bedrooms for the Dwarves had been dug out by Spartan and Rovod, and Rion had accepted to make some beds, all while complaining that being an axedwarf didn't mean he was any good at carpentry.

For the first few days after they had sealed themselves inside the mountain they had not dared to do much at all, always expecting the rough shale bridge to crack open and reveal a swarm of Nothings all intent on killing them now that they were confined. But nothing came. They waited anxiously for their deaths, but there were no sounds from outside.

And that was, perhaps, even scarier.

The issue of food and booze had also quickly come up and the expedition seemed resigned to the fact that they would have to leave the safety of their cave to get water to irrigate the soil with for growing plump helmets and cave wheat. Torvold had immediately whipped out some parchment and begun drawing up plans for an irrigation system that would tunnel to the river and then with floodgates control the flow, but Spartan had suggested mining downwards to the caverns beneath the land where plants were known to grow. Caught between two opposing suggestions, Ibruk, so far the expedition leader, had decided to go with both.

Therefore Torvold's irrigation system was being built at the same time as ramps were being built down into the depths of the earth. Since it was easier to dig through silty clay loam than stone, the irrigation system was finished first.

"Yer'll see, a real beauty! With work and time, we can extend it and make an automated system to flush anything that enters into-"

"Just pull the lever." Rion said interrupting Torvold's rant. Torvold tutted, and pulled the lever ceremoniously, there was a grinding of mechanisms and a distinct sound of water came from the other side of the watertight doors besides the gathered Dwarfs,

"Ye see, the floodgate's opened and now the water from Squeezemunch is pouring in, probably at a rate of seven measures a second which means that the water will fill the room in about 70 or so seconds. Incidentally, now I think of it, we could have made it much more efficient if we used water pressure to funnel the water in from below. Hmm...if we also used that to squeeze the water up into...yes that would probably then drown any invaders and then we can..."

Suddenly lost in his thoughts, the scientist let go of the lever, pondering the many uses pressured water could have. The other Dwarves, lost in their own conversations, also forgot about the incoming water until-

"Damned!" Torvold suddenly swore, yanking the lever back, "I forgot! I forgot!" Ibruk was the first to ask,

"What could be the matter pilgrim?"

"I forgot to turn the valve off! The entire chambers probably flooded with at least three measure of water per square! There's no way that'll evaporate!"

"Well then-" Rovod started, but Torvold interrupted him,

"Everyone get back, I'm gonna open the doors and let the excess water out."

"You'll flood the fortress!" Reg protested,

"Not nearly enough water for that, now get back or get wet."

Everyone scurried away as the scientist walked towards the twin doors with a dramatic flair. With a sure hand, he undid the secure holdings and heaved one open, half a wall of water met him, pushing him down the corridor slightly. Reg, slower than the others, was also caught in the wave, knocking him down. Then, as quickly as it had come, the waters died down, leaving a fresh coating of wet mud down the corridor.

As Reg cursed and got his wet self up, Torvold waved down the corridor with a huge smile,

"Ok! We can begin farming now!"

It was quickly decided that everyone would give a hand in the farming, due to its importance for their continued existence, and so life settled down and a few weeks passed by calmly.

14th Galena 673 - Afternoon

Doc. Steve looked out over the valley with a keen eye. It was totally empty. There was not a bird, not an animal.

What there was though, was Nothing.

A huge swarm of them, at least seventy all gathered up on one side of the valley. He instinctively ducked, motioning to the other behind him. Since escaping from his destroyed mountain home and meeting up with a small group of civilians several of them had died. Some of them had died from the wounds they had suffered while escaping, most died from new wounds as they made their way as far as possible. There were only three of them now, Shin, an architect formerly in the King's employ, and Muenster, a glassmaker bearing the curious family name of 'McCheeseMaker'. The three of them had crossed mountains and rivers to flee the advancing hordes of Nothing, and now they seemed trapped.

Shin and Muenster slowly came besides him,

"What are we going to do?" Shin asked. Steve grimaced,

"Nothing behind us, Nothing in front of us." he said bitterly.

"They're on the other side of the river though, we're safe for now." Muenster interjected.

"But those things can swim." Shin recalled. And it was true, they had been cornered by a group of Nothings who had swum through a stream to attack them. That was when the last member of their group - barring them - had been killed.

That was when Shin saw it.

A Dwarf prides itself on it's recognition of rock, and an architect - a Royal architect at that - prides itself on having the best eye for stone. So it was that she spotted the constructed rock facade in the mountain, just before it was a ditch, definitely not natural in shape.

It was on the other side of the valley, but on this side of the river, where there were less Nothing.

"There!" she exclaimed, pointing excitedly at it. Muenster squinted at it then cracked a smile,

"Atir Rushrulavuz be praised! If we can get them to open up-"

"And no doubt they'll open wide and let in a group pursued by so many Nothing they're like a black sea." Doc. Steve muttered.

"Got any better ideas?" Shin demanded. With a shrug, Steve slowly begun trekking down the hill. Shin and Muenster shared a glance, then followed the medic.

They had only made it halfway across the valley when they were spotted. A dozen Nothings slithered down a hill, tentacles ready. Muenster gave a half-yelp-half-shout and pushed Shin out of the way of one as it charged at her.

"What's the big id-" she stopped mid-sentence as she noticed the Nothing, "Steve! We need to hurry!" she cried, leaping up and sprinting for the constructed rock face.

They reached the channel with four Nothings on their tail.

And - perhaps it was Godly intervention, perhaps it was just blind luck. The drawbridge came crashing down, revealing a very surprised Rion. He had just convinced the group to let him discreetly leave to find the second copper battleaxe which he had left outside.

Steve, Shin and Muenster powered past him. Rion gave a shout at the sight of the Nothings, and ran inside to grab his axe. Tarran quickly got his sword and the two charged at the pulsing beasts.

The first Nothing was swiftly sliced into pieces while Spartan took his pick to the other, and before the rest could arrive the drawbridge brought up.

Now once more safe in the gloom the group all stared at the three newcomers. As was often the case, Ibruk was the first to speak,

"Welcome pilgrims. You needn't fear, the God's have led you here so that you may be saved." he said. There was a shared sigh of exasperation between the group which the prophet took as a sign that everybody was tired,

"It had been a long road, for us all. Eat, rest and sleep, for tomorrow there will be more tests of faith."

22nd Galena 673 - Morning

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:31:44 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

"Wonderful, just wonderful.  Like our group needs another doctor.  Though, I shouldn't complain, things have been going well so far and more hands makes light work," reg chuckled slightly to himself. " 'the gods have led you here' ," he mocked," as if any benevolent god would lead his people to our sad little hole in the wall."  Reg let out a deep sigh," We'll see how deep this pit can go, and when all's said and done, I'll be up here, hauling and healing.  Should the air stand still, for the smallest of moments, I will praise Ibruk's hateful gods like my own! Hmph."  Reg returned to doing an inventory with a smirk on his face.  He knew, at least, that he had a place and a job needed to be done.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 11:30:37 pm »

Tarran's dabbles, Chapter 2:

We struck a cavern today, lovely. More things to kill.

And also, eight days ago, we got migrants. 'Shintaro Fago', 'Mangled' and 'masam', I hope this means things will get going with our (currently non-existant) metal industry.

Aaaannnndddd, as I expected, Ibruk greets them with religious babbles. Arrrrrgh, I would kick him out if there was no visible repercussions. Why did we even listen to him?! Why can't he act normal for just one minute?

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 11:43:23 pm »

Dorf me. A mechanic, please.

Do you have

Also, I read "Nothing" and thought of this.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 01:03:52 am »

The Writings of Rion Truthax-Galena the 22nd

I am starting to suspect somthing is wrong with the Nothing. I have seen the havoc they caused at population centers more than once before I joined these bumbling idiots, yet they almost seem to be actively ignoring us now. Could they somehow be attracted to groups of people? I can't exactly risk observing them, but if I told the others of this idea they most likely would regardless of the risk. After our resident mad scientst risked flooding us out to save time I wouldn't put any mad scheme past him. Still, we do need food, and more importantly alcohaul. I can't remember the last time I had a good Sunshine, not like this low quality crap we are subsisting on. Better than water, though. But that's not important. We could still use more information about the Nothing, although I'm sure that our Prophet would be glad to lie all the info we need to us. Where they came from, if they reproduce or propogate with some other method, how intelligent they are, what they target and why, ect. I noticed they don't seem to put much priority on plants, if at all, so they might not be looking to exterminate all life. A cold comfort, I guess. Eh, who am I kidding, the prophet will most likely have me be the guest of honor at his first dwarven sacrifice, and I'll be free of this nightmare.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:26:02 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 03:04:26 am »

Spartan was surprised as he brought his pick down on the stone, only for it to crumble away to reveal a cavern. He noticed several mushroom-trees.

"Oh yeah! With this we can be completely self sufficient underground!"

A screech echoed from the darkness.

"Uh, Rion? Tarran? Help!"

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 09:38:58 am »

"This band of veetle-headed snipes have no idea what are they doing.." murmured Shin looking at irregular walls and crude bridge. "..not a damned idea."
---
"Torvold, you tree-humping fool!" she shouted when one dwarf told her who was in charge of the bridge and mechanisms. "What do you think we are doing here?" Yes, being loud sure got her the wanted attention.
"We've met many, many brave dwarves who died just because they couldn't find any outpost they were told about. Many brave warriors and whole families died when you had used this bridge as a second-rate protection from outside. We HAVE TO mark somehow this place for we need each one of those who will surely die if we don't. Unless you want to die here, alone, of course. "
She swallowed her spit looking at the gathered dwarves then closed her eyes for a while adding, much calmer - "...also, Torvold, the bridge is much thinner in the upper left corner and Nothing will be able to break through.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:46 am »

Hey Aequor, would this group of migrants accept an elf refugee? In the game, he or she would be a dwarf, but in my logs, I'd treat him/her as an elf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76