Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 175050 times)

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from the Apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2010, 09:02:37 pm »

Requesting a dorf as soon as possible. This is too cool to be ignored.  :P

Name: Delta
Profession: Miner/armor user
Personality: Silent and distant, he likes wearing full armor to cover his face and body, and would rather grunt than answer when talked to. A nice guy deep down, though, and will fight fiercely with his pick to protect the other dwarves.
Extra info: Likes using his mining tools as weapons, and wears full armor (if it's not too difficult to make now  ;D ) even while sleeping. If you get lucky and one of the migrants has a daughter, then he fled the mountainhomes to find a safer place for her to live. Otherwise, he's just walking the wilds in hopes of finding his missing daughter, whom he became separated from during a Nothing attack.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2010, 07:59:40 am »

That...was an interestin party.  Fair to say I spent most of it with my mouth glued to a barrel of booze, but so did everyone else.  The good doctor put in a window, much to my disappointment, but he did a passable job.  Perhaps I should give'im a few lessons on that, see if he'll give me a few in patching dwarves up.  Wouldn't be a bad idea for all of us to know how to do that.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2010, 12:26:09 pm »

You're both in with Stas for the next migrant wave that survives, r3d5kull and Areku! ;D

6th Granite 674 - Noon

"No, no, no! Ye need to lower her in slowly!" Muenster cried, interrupting Doc. Steve.  Now that the gem panes had been cut out, the glassmaker - due to his experience with windows - had been put in charge of actually fitting the gem windows into what was being called the 'lighthouse'.

"Of course." the medic said sarcastically, "We need to lower it nice and slowly so that the Nothings have the time to get here." he looked out the hole that had been cut out of the mountain-face, "Oh gods, I can see them coming now."

Rion, standing behind them with his trusty axe, gave the two a short slap to the heads,

"Shut up and get it finished then! Or would you prefer we all die so you can finish your argument?"

"What if they break through it!?"

"Break through solid gem?"

"Who knows!? They could!"

"Well," Muenster said, interrupting them, "if they manage to break through this window I'll be surprised. And....there! Just seal the sides and we're done. There, it'll take more than Nothing to get through this. Now, Tarran's finished the iron chain, so we'll need to get the well done next."

8th Granite 674 - Morning

Fori was moving across the causeway into the caverns when she heard it. She had decided to go slightly further to gather plants, over to the huge lake of water that was barely five minutes from the cavern entrance. But just as she entered the large hall before the cavern she heard a scampering of feet. Elves prided themselves on good hearing - and their ears only helped that good hearing - so she knew that there was definitely something that had just scurried past her. She looked around but saw nothing, though she didn't have Dwarven sight in darkness and whatever it was could easily be hiding in the shadows. She heard the footsteps again and spun round. No one.

Then there was a giggling, like a child.

Right. Behind. Her.

She whirled round immediately and was met with a green face and a toothy grin. A gremlin!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gremlins were mostly harmless - though mischievous - and the Elf felt her fear drain away. Then it pushed her. The small green creature charged into her, knocking her down onto the rough rock floor, and then ran off into the caverns, giggling with delight. Fori sat in the rock dust for a few seconds, then gathering her dignity, continued into the caverns to gather plants.

18th Granite 674 - Morning

"I tell you, young pilgrim! It was by the gods' will only that we survived! And we must not fall back into the decadence that the Ilral Dynasty has pushed the Grizzly Vessel into over these three hundred years!"

"Decadence? Decadence!?" Shin said incredulously. Urist Imiknorris, who was making mechanisms for traps nearby, gave a laugh,

"Oh yes, come see Nomekast and its palaces!" he declared like an advertiser.

"My dear young pilgrims. It will avail us to nothing to simply make fun of a serious situation! If we cannot prove our worth to the gods then doom will befall us!"

"Well go and talk to them then. You're a prophet aren't you?"

"I cannot demand of the gods! No. What we need is a temple! A temple to worship the gods in!"

Shin's jaw fell straight down,

"A temple?" she asked quietly. Ibruk cocked his head,

"I'm sorry pilgrim, I didn't get that-"

"A temple!? There are twelve of us, the world's slowly being...destroyed! by a horde of vicious monsters and we're having to work non-stop all day just to keep things going here, and you want us to go and build a temple!? And I thought Royals could be demandingly mad!"

"It's the only-"

"You want a temple? You go make yourself a temple, on your own! We've got a tunnel to finish, weapons to make, farms to look after, booze to brew, a gremlin to watch out for, and a endless swarm of monsters to avoid!"

20th Granite 674 - Evening

"There we go." Tarran said in a hushed voice, as though he were in the presence of the sacred. Slowly and carefully he grasped the red-hot iron with the tongs, and pulled it out the forge, taking his hammer. After he had finished hammering into the shape of the sword he would need to fold it several times to ensure maximum sharpness.

He had been working all day in the forges, making swords, axes and picks. And after this he would have a crossbow to make. It was tiring, and the heat made him sweat terribly, but he enjoyed it deeply and with each new weapon he made his skills and techniques were getting better. In the forge besides him, Muenster was melting down the copper weapons into bars to recycle them into spikes for some of Torvold's many traps that the engineer had devised. The digging of the tunnel in which survivors would be able to flee into to escape from the Nothing was already being started, and the most optimistic guesses were that the tunnel would be fully-functional by the beginning of Summer. The new lace agate gem window also gave them a clear view of the valley, to spot anyone or anything, and the gem panes shone in the sun, a glare that would catch any passing by, including enemies.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2010, 12:47:59 pm »

Uh, you do know that marksdwarves are bugged in this version right? ammo is almost never picked up no matter what.

"There are still various problems with dwarves not equipping what they should; notably marksdwarves (who try to train not with archery practice but by sparring with crossbows as blunt weapons)."

Now, don't be afraid of a little gremlin, I can take it. What's the worst that could happen?*

*Oh god oh god oh god. If you even look at their raws. You are going to pay.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »

Now, don't be afraid of a little gremlin, I can take it. What's the worst that could happen?*

*Oh god oh god oh god. If you even Look at their raws. and make them FUN, or you are going to pay.

Sounds good to me!  ;D
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2010, 01:00:34 pm »

*Oh god oh god oh god. If you even Look at their raws. and make them FUN, or you are going to pay.

Sounds good to me!  ;D
HE'S MY GUY, IF YOU WANT TO DIE, GET KILLED YOURSELF.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:06:57 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »

"A temple."

Twitch.

"A carping temple."

Twitch twitch.

"I...wha...just..."

Spartan turned and walked off.

'I wonder if I could arrange a tragic mining incident resulting in the death of our BATSHIT INSANE friend...'
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2010, 02:12:30 pm »

HE'S , IF  YOU WANT TO DIE, GET KILLED MY GUY YOURSELF.
[/quote]

Technicly, I have added nothing to this sentence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2010, 02:17:18 pm »

HE'S , IF  YOU WANT TO DIE, GET KILLED MY GUY YOURSELF.

Technicly, I have added nothing to this sentence.
Some day I'm going to get revenge. You'd better watch out.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »

"weapons and armor are great, yea, absolutely necessary, but what about some splints and crutches or thread for that matter?  We need to fill the hospital (we have a hospital, RIGHT?) so if armor and weapon fail (as they have before) and you come to me asking for help, I'll be able to do something other then sing you lullaby.  I understand, armor is the first line of defense, but I couldn't stand it if any of you start bleeding out and I have to try and dress the wound with steel."

love the window :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:10:05 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »

Hey can you upload your DF folder so I can try fighting the nothing. Also how do I use Companion?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »

“Muenster, Doc, thank you. The window is lovely.” Fori said, looking out of the new window. The view was indeed lovely, and it did her heart good to see the sun and forest again. Even if the Defilers lurking about outside did spoil the view.  “And don’t worry, I trust your stone and gem work. I don’t think the defilers could even get up here.”

Fori sat quietly, gazing out over the forest, before speaking again. “That encounter with the grimeling has mea thinking. I might have been very lucky. It could have been any manner of creature down there. I’ll need some way to defend myself. I’m no soldier, and I don’t want to be one, but I’m thinking that I should learn how to use a weapon. What do you think would be best for me? Perhaps a sword?”

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:39 pm »

Can i have a dwarf in the near future?

Derm
AxeDwarf
Is prone to adventure, and is occasionally given to bouts of introspection and is fond of being overly dramatic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:19:13 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2010, 01:36:28 am »

(Heh. So far, I think I'm the only one who actually likes elves thrown in to live with dwarves in these things. I haven't seen anyone else do it.)

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2010, 02:22:24 am »

Ah Gremlins, those guys are fun.
By that I mean I hate the little gits, the amount of times I had to patch up some poor sod because a Gremlin had pulled some lever or other..
Then again they have their uses, I ever tell you guys about the time me and my brother stole the old Guard Captains sword from it's scabbard and replaced it with a carp and blamed it on a gremlin?
Man I miss being nine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 76