Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 173791 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »

Could I possibly get a dorf?

Name:Kadzar
Profession: Zealot
Personality: Fanatically devoted to Ibruk's teachings. Believes the Nothings were sent by the gods to purge the world of the unfaithful.

I'd like any dwarf form the recent immigrant wave that has helped build the temple, if that is at all possible.

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:15 am »

Oh I don't intend for my guy to be warming up to the elf just yet.
Call it a medical curiosity that she is adapting to being underground and her "Hangovers and such.
Honestly, a dwarf seeing something with a hangover is going to be curious/concerned.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:18 am »

when I said warming up, it was really just pointing out how everyone readily accepted an elf.  I think there would be some kind of racial tension, as historically dwarves and elves aren't the best of neighbors.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 11:41:56 am »

when I said warming up, it was really just pointing out how everyone readily accepted an elf.  I think there would be some kind of racial tension, as historically dwarves and elves aren't the best of neighbors.
Generaly, people tend to forget past grevinces when FUCKING HORRORS SENT FROM BENETH THE EARTH COME TO EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE! Besides, she acts quite dwarven for a dirty elf.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

I understand that. For Fori's part though, she's been through a lot. I imagine having her home destroyed by the nothings caused her to question and doubt a good deal of the beliefs and traditions the elves held. She knows that it was an act of unprecedented kindness letting her stay at the fortress, and she has been trying to get used to their way of living. Besides, these dwarves so far have cut no trees down, just mushrooms in the caverns.

I wouldn't mind if some stubborn dwarfs resent her presence, just don't flood her room with magma or anything.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 02:12:09 pm »

I wouldn't mind if some stubborn dwarfs resent her presence, just don't flood her room with magma or anything.
I think, for the sake of role play, Reg will have a sort of racial intolerance (this goes for any OTHER sun dwellers that join us, as well!)
and I'll try and remember my manners, that elves don't have the same love for magma as us dwarves do ;)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »

You're in Kadzar! Profile on the first post. ;)

Also, I've spotted giant cave spiders! Worse of all, they not far from the temple and Tarran's house. (No Tarran, this is a coincidence, I did not drive it to your house with sticks. I promise.)

2nd Sandstone 674

Ibruk's temple was finally finished. It's foundations were made of gneiss, its outer floors of slate, columns of schist, walls and doors of iron and shale and phyllite altars. The inner floor was cobaltite and the roof was microcline. Beneath the temple plants grew, entrapped and encircled by the foundation walls. Various figurines of the gods had been made and placed on the altars and there was talk of possible statues. Ibruk, leader of the religious community of Nomekast in all but name, had placed one of his most fervent students, Kadzar, as Chief Priest of the temple.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The barracks for The Noiseless Metals and The Tusks of Silver were completed, with armour stands and weapon racks for every soldier, and archery targets for the marksdwarves.

Progress on the tunnel had slowed down, due to massive hauling of boulders out of the way, but cage traps were being set up, and the drowning room only needed its floodgates to be linked up. Meanwhile, the hospital was all-but finished, just needing several beds to be made to house the infirm who didn't need a traction bench.

Work on Tarran's lake-side cottage was progressing steadily, with most of the walls set up so far. The swordsdwarf had also got Muenster to agree to fit in gem windows. Delta had been seen asking Torvold about the feasibility of draining the lake to build an underwater home, and several other Dwarves were beginning to take an interest in making their own homes.

Strange noises from the caverns resulted in a blacksmith, Id, being mauled and killed by a giant olm. The giant olm, now nicknamed Balumid, was promptly dispatched by Rion in a bloody display that saw its head and two of its legs fly off. Two giant rats later scurried through the caverns and up into the fortress proper, only to meet their deaths at the hands of Johann Schmidt's axe. The three corpses were soon butchered for meat, a rare luxury in Nomekast, which survived only on a diet of plump helmet and a mix of Dwarven wine and ale.

5th Sandstone 674 - Morning

Ibruk had just finished the Morning Rites dedicated to Kol Esdorkol, god of travellers and patron of the month of Sandstone, when it struck him. It started with a growing grin, and then a deep, joyful laugh, and he ran off from the cavern back into the upper levels of Nomekast, singing various hymns with gusto. He grabbed some stone, cobbling a craftsdwarf workshop together and began collecting materials at once.

The rest of the fortress was at a loss as to what to do. Several suggested that this was one of the fabled strange moods that were heard of in various fortresses, but no one knew exactly what to do. Kadzar suggested that, being a prophet, Ibruk was simply receiving guidance from the gods who were now pleased with their new temple, Reg suggested that he had gone stark raving mad, and should be sent to the hospital at once, Spartan advocated simply throwing him out in case he went berserk, as was sometimes heard of in these cases.

But there was no real consensus on what to do, so they simply watched as Ibruk collected two bars of iron (despite Tarran's anger), some dog leather, along with a pile of donkey bones, dog bones as well as Balumid's bones. Then he sung no more and began to work furiously, masterfully manipulating the varied materials.

6th Sandstone 674 - Noon

"No, no, no. All I want to do is some tests to see exactly what this...'hangover' is." Reg assured Fori. Fori had been walking down the ramp into the caverns when the doctor had ambushed her to ask if she would comply with some medical tests to examine the hangovers she had been suffering from due to the potency of Dwarven alcohol.

"I am not a medical experiment to be tested on." Fori protested.

"But it could save lives! What if this 'hangover' spreads across the species-barrier to Dwarves! It could paralyse the whole Dwarven population!"

"I already told you it's not a disease! It's a common reaction in non-Dwarves when we drink too much alcohol."

"Too much? You barely touched a drop!"

"For a Dwarf, yes. But not for an Elf."

"It's true Elves can't hold their drink, but that's not the point! What if it is caused by a disease? Do you want the entirety of Dwarvenkind to be cursed to slow down to a snail's pace just because you refused to do some tests!? You vicious Elf! Think of the people who might die!"

"Hey!" came a call. It was Stas, enshrouded with his usual cloak, "Ibruk's finished...whatever it was he was doing, and I do think you two should come see rather than argue."

- - -

Ibruk had toiled night and day without respite in his work. And now he proudly held up his work,

"Behold! Laniruthmik Ritholvashzud - Slyshaken the Noble Disembowelment!"

The Dwarves crowded round, examining the statue, there could be no doubt that it was masterfully crafted,

"See! The gods bid me to create this figurine engraved with the death of a Nothing by a Goblin as a sign! We must hold out an open hand to our old enemies, as we have with Fori, the Elf! The pure Goblins - rare though they might be - are enemies of the Nothing too, and may be saved! So may the Humans! We must strive to bring forth enlightenment to ALL races!"

The crowd began to thin now, with only Ibruk's most loyal followers remaining where they were,

"This sign is clear for all to see! Nomekast shall rise! The gods have decreed so!"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:20:38 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Ibruk's temple was finally finished. It's foundations were made of gneiss, its outer floors of slade, columns of schist, walls and doors of iron and shale and phyllite altars. The inner floor was cobaltite and the roof was microcline. Beneath the temple plants grew, entrapped and encircled by the foundation walls. Various figurines of the gods had been made and placed on the altars and there was talk of possible statues. Ibruk, leader of the religious community of Nomekast in all but name, had placed one of his most fervent students, Kadzar, as Chief Priest of the temple.
*cough*SLATE not SLADE*cough*

Darn Ibruk and his iron stealing figurine. >:(

Tarran's dabbles, Chapter 5:

Out of all the things Ibruk had to pick, he picked iron, iron! All for his stupid gods.

One way or another, he is going to die for his stupid religion. Really, why did he have to be stuck with us?! Argh!

Also; You should stick a bunch of cave traps near the lake, Think: Army of Giant Toads. :D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:56 pm »

Ibruk's temple was finally finished. It's foundations were made of gneiss, its outer floors of slade, columns of schist, walls and doors of iron and shale and phyllite altars. The inner floor was cobaltite and the roof was microcline. Beneath the temple plants grew, entrapped and encircled by the foundation walls. Various figurines of the gods had been made and placed on the altars and there was talk of possible statues. Ibruk, leader of the religious community of Nomekast in all but name, had placed one of his most fervent students, Kadzar, as Chief Priest of the temple.

Oops, what a silly mistake to make (though floors of slade would be awesome).
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:18 pm »

Derek issues mandate: Cheerfulness.

Followed by psychopathic manslaughter.

I shall explore the caverns, at least, a bit of it! who knows, we may find something worth looting.

AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:35 pm »

Oops, what a silly mistake to make (though floors of slade would be awesome).
I agree. Also; is there going to be a way to get into that enclosed garden? It just seems strange to just 'be there' without any reason, and no-one can see it right now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2010, 06:26:47 pm »

If our underground neighbors have a house, we can use that as a temple.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2010, 07:02:48 pm »

Kadzar's diary, 6th of Sandstone, 674:
Master Ibruk has finished conversing with the gods, and it seems we must seek help from the goblins to defeat the Nothings. I still have trouble sleeping at night for fear the Elf will eat me. I don't know how I'd manage around goblins. But Master Ibruk is the gods' prophet. It's not like just any dwarf can receive messages from the gods to build mysterious items. I will put my faith in the gods that they shall see us true believers through this time of tribulation.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2010, 07:05:03 pm »

Stas's Thoughts:

I was rummaging through Ibruk'smy things when all of a sudden Ibruk ran out of the workshop with a figurine in his hand. I promptly left the scene, he didn't seem to notice for he was too amazed by that chunk of iron and smelly leather, and bumped into the doctor and the elf.  Was he flirting with her? She's not bad looking, I can't blame him.
Either way, I have to set up a hideout where I could hoard my things.

But seriously though, my dwarf needs a thief's den, something hidden and only accessible by me. It should have a bed room, a study and an extra room to hoard things in.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »

"Hmph! elves, they don't know what's good for 'em!  I swear, when the fort is entirely stricken with Hangover and Ibruk casts Fori out, I won't feel even the slightest twinge of regret!  Send the elf away, the nothing can have her; she's a dirty little creature!  Worse yet, she's clean!  Dwarves have survived centuries without their help, we don't need it now.  And Ibruk, oh poor, misguided Ibruk.  He's gone and created a master craft figurine, one to compete with those of the legendary metal crafters in the east!  Yet he calls it a SIGN, a message from god!  Hah!  He has a gift, that one, a gift that's being WASTED with his religious babble.  He'd be more of a help with an armorer's hammer in his hand then scripture!  It's a wonder we made it this far."

ah, Reg has nothing but complaints and doubts.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76