Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 173781 times)

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2010, 08:46:20 pm »

We can take that forgotten beast down no problem.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »

Stas's thoughts -

Truly beautiful bracelet I made today...It must be protected. Yes I will wear it at all times.
Also, the sculpture spoke of some creature, what even those secretions are I prefer not to be there when they "secrete"?

So This is my plan, I will hoard food and booze into my hideout and will use my thief's mechanic knowledge to build little traps to protect it...or Maybe a way to seal it off for ever, just in case something goes bad.

Also, could we get a screen of the fortress so far?

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »

From the log of Fori

A forgotten beast. First the Defilers, and now this. It seems as if nature herself has turned on her children and is waging war upon us. I hoped at first the warning from Kadzar was just a figment of imagination. But then, the whispers from the spirits of the trees took a dark turn, if that was even possible in these times. They warned of a hideous beast of an insect. I admit I was quite shaken. Even behind the strong dwarf stonework, I was fearful. We elves had heard tales of forgotten beasts, who sometimes spawned in the darkest, most twisted depths of the forests.

What can an elf do in such situations? I can but only trust in the spirits. And the dwarfish gods if they do indeed exist. If the dwarves stonework held up to the defilers, it stood a chance against Lerdi too. Then a drunk Reg spouted the idea of unleashing it on the defilers. I shuddered at the thought of that thing tearing among the trees…but perhaps he has an idea. Either the defilers would butcher it, removing a blight from the world, or it would drive the defilers off, and we’d have to deal with one horrific beast rather than hundreds.

I’m only a farmer, even though I carry a sword now. But there’s nothing for it but to endure this trial. We must survive, one way or another. But how…I’m not sure.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:06 pm »

Diary of Urist Imiknorris

---

The appearance of a creature forgotten by time has inspired me to begin a journal. I have caught a glimpse of this creature, and it seems challenging. It is eyeless, indicating that it has no need of light. It has an exoskeleton of slate gray chitin, likely much harder than bone. I saw it being attacked by a giant cave spider. The spider was swatted aside with nary a pause. I can only hope that the fine dwarven iron can pierce its defenses. I've seen Fori fight, and it seems that her style relies less on force and more on applying it where it would be most effective. I think such a style to be the only option for slaying this beast.

OOC: My dwarf is fascinated with the mechanics of combat. He wants to apply his knowledge to siege engineering.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2010, 03:03:40 pm »

Kadzar's diary:
Brother Stas still refuses to surrender Throatground into the Temple's possession. He does not seem to understand that, even though he did not receive a message from the gods, he was nonetheless divinely inspired and, therefore, must pay homage. I do not know if it was his refusal to relinquish possession of Throatground or his disturbing of Slyshaken, but the appearance of Lerdi Kamcanecar makes clear the fact that the gods are not happy with Brother Stas. If he does not comply I fear his banishment may be in order for the good of the community.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »

"Hey, what's that fuss all about? A dung beetle, you say? Hrrm, wimps, that's what they are. It's just a bug! Uh, wait, did you say giant dung beetle? Oh well, time to get my pickaxe and put out the trash."

- Delta, in one of the halls of the fortress.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

OK, so much for regularish updates. But anyways, I have my GCSEs now, so expect very sporadic updates for the next few weeks until they're finished.

Spartan - I'll get a picture of the fort so far with the next update, right now I really need to sleep and study.

1st Moonstone 674 - Morning

They had all gathered in the large hollowed-out pillar in the entrance of the caverns. Kadzar, the 'army' composed of Tarran (who was still fuming over the constant theft of his iron ore), Rion, Johann, Rovod, Doc Steve, and Melagius, a newcomer who wanted to be a swordsdwarf, also present was Fori, Reg, Spartan, Delta, and pretty much anyone who wasn't yet cowering far away in a dark corner. Ibruk was conspicuously not there, and Stas was nowhere to be seen, nor was Throatground, while Slyshaken still stood toppled on the temple altar.

"So, gentledwarves, and hippy-I mean, Elf. We have an apparently 'towering' dung beetle on its way here. Any bright ideas that doesn't end up in a bloodbath?" Reg asked. Melagius draw his iron sword with a dramatic flair,

"There's no way a dung beetle can beat me-" he began,

"Us." Rovod interjected,

"-us! We just charge and kill, charge and kill." Derm launched a fist in the air in agreement at this, followed by Reg,

"Or we'll just charge and die, charge and die." Tarran said somberly. Johann wrung his hands as he spoke up,

"Do we really need to kill it? Can't we just trap it somewhere?" he hesitated,

"We could easily put up a wall that could stop it-" Shin began, before being stopped by a round of dismissive gestures and words. Spartan spoke up now,

"What about what Reg said? Setting the beast onto the Darksquids aboveground?" Torvold nodded enthusiastically at this,

"Yes! We just need to-"

"The obvious flaw with that plan," Delta spat, "Is that to do that we need to tunnel to the surface, which will let them in."

"Guys, I've been looking at Fori's sword technique, it, I believes, relies on striking specific pressure points on the body rather than brute force. Maybe that will be perfect for stopping Lerdi." Urist proposed. Fori nodded,

"My people use our knowledge of the body to attack where it is weakest and-"

"Oh yes! Let's take lessons from a race that uses wooden weapons and crawls in dirt!" Reg cried, throwing his hands in the air in exasperation. Ibruk now arrived at this point, Kadzar hastily stood up, moving to the Prophet. The two stood at the side of the chamber, away from the conversation,

"Master, I fear Lerdi's arrival is a punishment from the gods. Brother Stas still refuses to give Throatground to the care of the Temple." Kadzar told the Prophet. Ibruk nodded,

"I fear Stas is a dangerously misguided Dwarf. Where is he? I shall try to talk him out of this madness."

"I haven't seen him, he fled the temple with Throatground after the...after the gods' message." the priest was still reeling from the shock and sheer surrealism of having spoken with the gods. Ibruk inclined his head,

"Then we have no choice for now," he moved to the centre of the chamber, "My dear friends, pilgrims and servants of the gods. Lerdi has been spotted crossing the lake, and she will soon be at the temple itself. I fear we have no choice but to prove to the divine that we still remain faithful and zealous, and strike Lerdi down." there was a murmur of agreement at this. There had very little time to argue now, the soldiers would have to move in and the rest could only hope, or pray, that it was enough.

- - -

The Noiseless Metals gathered outside the temple, with nothing but iron breastplates and weapons. Lerdi Kamcanecar was nowhere to be seen, though they were expecting the beast to burst from the lake any moment now. For a long time there was nothing but there breathing and the steady drip, drip, drip of water drops falling onto the lake. Then Lerdi rose like a demon out of the lake, screeching like a banshee and sending a huge plume of water up into the air. It clambered onto the land, right next to Tarran's unfinished cottage,a and with a swipe of its leg it shattered a lace agate window, sending the gems flying.

The Dwarves watched for a few moments before Tarran, his anger from the destruction of his window and the apparent threat of further damage to his cottage, gave a Dwarven yell of 'nazush!' and leapt down off the ledge and towards Lerdi. The others soon followed suit and the air was soon alive with yells of nazush, or rash.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Melgaius was the first to reach the dung beetle monster. With a well-aimed sword-strike, he tore a tendon on Lerdi's second left leg. Tarran soon arrived afterwards and charging into Lerdi, knocking it down off its ledge and fracturing it's abdomen. It was then that Lerdi began to show fear, it tried to move back up onto the ledge, but only succeeded in making itself the centre of the circle of soldiers. Rion swung his axe, fracturing the giant beetle's head, severing a tendon, and also knocking the monster back a few paces. Getting up, it gave a deafening screech, before turning tail, pursued by the six soldiers. It stopped right before the temple doors.

Watching all this from the bridge, Kadzar moved to defend the temple, but Ibruk stopped him,

"Trust the gods." the holyman murmured. The soldiers soon caught up with Lerdi, and Johann - grimacing as he did so - slammed his hammer into Lerdi, smashing the chitin on its right front leg. Lerdi was beginning to bleed white ichor over the temple floor now, while some extract dribbled from its mouth like saliva. Tarran swung his sword again, severing several tendons on Lerdi's thorax, while Melagius managed to fracture its right second leg. Unable to move in time, Lerdi managed to squirm, making several scratches on the temple's iron doors just in time for Rion's trusty axe to swing straight through its neck, beheading it. The beast fell to the shale floor, spraying ichor onto the walls and floors, while its head went flying down the temple steps, landing in a shrub.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For a long time no one spoke. All six of them stood there over Lerdi's mutilated body, breathing heavily. None of them had received a wound, not even a sprained wrist. Then Melagius sheathed his sword and clapped his hands together,

"Well! I think we deserve a drink, or rather a whole barrel each!"
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

What a weakling of a Forgotten Beast!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »

WHO SENDS ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2010, 06:15:24 pm »

Yeah, it was pretty disappointingly easy, not that, you know, I was trying to get anyone hurt...
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2010, 06:16:22 pm »

Just wait till we get one made out of salt.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2010, 06:26:28 pm »

Knowing our luck, the next one will be some acid-breathing hydra made of steel.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »

Is the left temple door missing?!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2010, 06:55:15 pm »

Hehehe, we'll never get that ichor off our cloths for weeks!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2010, 07:43:07 pm »

"That was stupid. I'm going to go eat some plump helmet buiscuts."
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76