Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode - automatically walk around trees  (Read 1531 times)

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode - automatically walk around trees
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »

Title basically says the whole thing. I find myself running around in the forest, trying to hold right to get where I need to go, and stopping suddenly because a tree is in the way. As fun as it is manually navigating around trees, it would be nice to have a player-controlled character able to do it automatically. This can apply to other obstacles, but I can't really think of anything that gets in the way nearly as often as trees. Obviously, this option should automatically be off while the player is in combat/danger.

So, what do you guys think? Great idea? Terrible idea? Already suggested? Want 100 better suggested ideas added first? There's already something in the game that takes care of this that I was too stupid to find? Sixth thing?
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Adventure mode - automatically walk around trees
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:57:08 pm »

i would object. if you were running though a forest and didnt pay attention to where you were going you would run into trees too. besides, what if you ran the wrong way for example, you were next to a river but couldn't swim and you jumped into the river. or were running from bogymen. Besides running into a tree would be a hailarious way to die.

imagine "you bash the maple tree in the trunk with your head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

if something like a tree killing you was possible perhaps you could dodge it, giving you a similar effect to avoiding trees

EDIT: i frogot to finnish a statement :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:42:15 pm by Phlum »
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »

I think an auto-travel feature would be better on the main overview map. As for auto-travel features in the zoomed in version, I'm generally against it. Mountains don't have Trees and there really shouldn't be any reason to be running from point A to B in the zoomed in version (realistically, I realize people do it to avoid ambushes, run to the nearest town while Bogeyman are in tow, train Stealth, Crutch-Walking, Swimming, whatever; but idealistically Toady should just code it so reasons like that are mute and Travelling on the Main Map is preferred).
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:32:34 pm »

Hold down two keys.
First press Right, and then add diagonal right-up.

You'll run to the right unless you can't, in which case you move up&right.
Its the same mechanism used for vibrational training, but not exploitative!

If the forest is particularly thick, you may want to add down-right to the combo so that two adjacent trees can't stop you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09:01 pm »

Maybe an option that when you move into objects, you move to one side instead? As an option, it would satisfy everyone, would it not?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.